• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    you can always keep re-installing the driver for it... it's not uncommon for the drives to act up. i can't count how many ive replaced in the past 6 months for clients.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    And then.... it works...

I took the drive out, shut the computer down, put the drive in and started it back up. Checked device manager and DVD/CD drive showed up in the device list. The drive showed up under that. So I put a disc in, and it just successfully copied 600 MB of data from a disc the hard-drive without a single glitch.

Next time the computer is started there is no telling if it will be there or not.

Still think it's a failed drive?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    failed? No
    Faulty? high probability.
    I am not saying it's a 100% certainty that it is the drive... But its far far far more common for the drive to act up/go crazy then anything on the board/pc itself to cause it to go crazy... (aside from the driver)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    But its far far far more common for the drive to act up/go crazy then anything on the board/pc itself to cause it to go crazy... (aside from the driver)
    If you knew this computer you wouldn't say that.... it's had software & driver quirks from day one. It seriously has a mind of it's own, and HP was absolutely no help...

Either way, it's working now, I guess I'll just keep messing with it and see what I come up with... maybe if I just unplug it every time I restart the machine... we'll see...

Drunken Yak inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Osceola, IN
    If my memory serves me, the reason the drivers are disappearing is because the drive is no longer physically connected, once it makes a connection the drivers pop back up in the device manager. Hence why I suggest cleaning the connectors. Can anyone verify my theory?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    If my memory serves me, the reason the drivers are disappearing is because the drive is no longer physically connected, once it makes a connection the drivers pop back up in the device manager. Hence why I suggest cleaning the connectors. Can anyone verify my theory?

a quick cleaning would not hurt.
    i know if something is installed but the driver isnt it will have a yellow triangle alert thing in the device manager. not sure if cleaning will solve all the problems... it very well could get some crazy signals to rev up and down i suppose.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    My wife's computer HP DV2842se

CD/DVD drive not recognized, sometimes it's totally unresponsive, other times it spins up to full RPM and won't stop, even when the tray is opened.

QUOTE]

If the drive doesnt stop spinning when open I would think its a drive problem not a driver problem but I could be wrong. When the drive is open something inside the drive should tell it to stop spinning. A replacement drive for a laptop isnt that much money. Like someone else said try newegg

Top Bottom