• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    In Chicago, it is the law apparently, that you must clear your sidewalk of snow within a given time.

I heard it being discussed on the radio this morning. This is the best article I can find for now.

Tinley gives initial green light for downtown snow-removal law

As snow wrapped the Chicago area in a thick coat Tuesday night, Tinley Park trustees granted preliminary approval of a law to keep the public portion of some downtown sidewalks snow-free.

Property owners along Oak Park Avenue from 171st to 176th streets who let an inch of snow or more collect on the public portion of sidewalks in front of their shops and homes will face a $40 fine come Jan. 6 if that snow isn't gone 24 hours after it falls.

Trustees intend to approve the snow-removal ordinance on Jan. 6.

The first offense is $40 per 1,000 square feet of property. The second offense, and every one after it, is $80 per 1,000 square feet. "It comes down to public safety," Trustee Mike Bettenhausen said.

Village leaders still need to hammer out some details, such as who will enforce the proposed law and what to do if a property owner doesn't live in the area and can't remove the snow immediately.

A few properties along the south portion of Oak Park Avenue are abandoned, such as Chicks Ice Cream & Deli at 176th Avenue.

Business owners along Oak Park Avenue for years have asked village leaders to help keep the public portion of sidewalks clear from 167th to 183rd streets.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    It is in the Republik of Bloomington too.

A property owner has 24 hours after the snow has stopped falling or accumulating to clear a 36-inch path on sidewalks. In the downtown area — roughly bounded by Third, 10th, Morton and Walnut streets — property owners have to clear a path 54 inches wide on the sidewalks.

Or pay a $50 fine.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I shoveled my sidewalk last night... Even a part of the walk in front of our neighbor. I didn't do it because I was compelled by law (that I know of?).

I did it because I believe it to be the right thing to do AND because I'm physically able to do so.

But yes, many municipalities have ordinances to this effect.

Your mileage on enforcement of said ordinances will vary greatly.

-J-

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    It is an ordinance in Indianapolis. There always an report about the sidewalks and people not clearing them and forcing people to walk on the streets. What really strange is I see people using Snow Blowers to clear their driveways but refuse to clear the sidewalk.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    It is an ordinance in Indianapolis. There always an report about the sidewalks and people not clearing them and forcing people to walk on the streets. What really strange is I see people using Snow Blowers to clear their driveways but refuse to clear the sidewalk.

Have you seen the price of fuel today? Snowblowers don't run for free. j/k. :)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The funny thing about these laws is that they require the property owner to do it. The reason I feel that is odd is because of a recent experience where I used to live in Greenwood. I owned a house on a corner lot that had sidewalks along both streets. The interesting part is that when I had the property surveyed my property ended just shy of the sidewalk such that there was a strip about 6 ft wide along both streets that didn't belong to me.

I asked code enforcement one day, when he came out to tell my neighbor to quit complaing about my RV because it was legally parked, about the snow removal issue. He said that it is the property owners responsibility to clear the snow. I pointed out that I wasn't the property owner and I didn't know who owned it. We talked about it and his non-lawyer conclusion was that I wasn't legally compelled to clear the walks but should because I'm a nice guy. He doesn't know me too well!!!! I did some checking and it seems the city owns the strip of land in question. I would hate to have to fight a lawsuit over somebody slipping and busting their backside mostly because I can't afford it but if it came to that he seemed to think I would win that one.

And while I lived there I did keep the walks clear, snowblowers are a wonderful thing!

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I shoveled my sidewalk last night... Even a part of the walk in front of our neighbor. I didn't do it because I was compelled by law (that I know of?).

I did it because I believe it to be the right thing to do AND because I'm physically able to do so.

But yes, many municipalities have ordinances to this effect.

Your mileage on enforcement of said ordinances will vary greatly.

-J-

Pretty simply, no? If you're physically able, do it. If everyone did that, we'd be fine.

Things are a bit different for commercial or rental properties, though. Seems like I would want to have a company hired that every time it snows I pay them $15/property to come by and clear a path.

I live just outside Bloomington city limits, and there's no sidewalk in front of my house, so I'm good to go :)

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Heck, they walk in the street when there is no snow.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    The god lord put there and he will take it away when he's ready !!!! :D

Seriously though, I live out so we dont have a sidewalk at the road and the mail is delivered to a street side box..... I didnt even clear the drive this time, my transaxle went out in the tractor and I havent fixed it yet.

With 3 4x4s if I cant get out to the road then we dont need to be out.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I believe you don't own the side walk. I also believe you don't own the easement from the curb to the sidewalk (could be wrong about the owning part) but it is your responsibility to take care of them. If a new sidewalk needs to be put in, most often you will be required to pay for it.

I also believe that if your sidewalks aren't shoveled or the area under the mailbox isn't cleared that the mail carrier doesn't have to deliver your mail either.

I wish I knew exactly where to find these laws.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    I may be weird , but I enjoy clearing the sidewalk with a shovel (thank God I am still healthy and strong enough to do it). For me -it's kinda like mowing the grass-I'm thankful I have a lawn to mow . Raking leaves......not quite as much fun:D

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I live in Indianapolis... It has always been my understanding that it is the property owner's responsibility to clear the sidewalk.

My street gets plenty of foot traffic. It is the neighborly thing to do to keep the sidewalk clear. In my case, my property extends to the street. Of course, the sidewalk is an easement on my property, but it is still my responsibility (by personal code, and legal code to the best of my knowledge).

I enjoy the time shoveling my drive and sidewalk (along with my elderly neighbors')...

So... sounds like an OK law to me. People shouldn't need a law like this to take care of things, but some people aren't good neighbors and need a little help functioning properly in society.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Hellinois
    Gotta love Illinois. I have also heard that if you attempt to shovel and do a half *** job, and someone slips and falls you COULD be held responsible. Whereas with just natural accumulation if someone falls there isn't a liability issue.

Top Bottom