after purchasing a gun do you ever find a better deal online?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    Not sure if we are allowed to post rants or not since I am still a newbie. If not, I apologize.

I went to the local gun store today, Checked out a what they called a used but as new Ruger p94 40 S&W. Had my Uncle with me which is retired fire arms instructor from the Boarder Patrol, He field stripped it and said it didn't even look like it had been fired!

Anyways, I got caught up in the moment and Bought it for $475 plus tax,actually its on layaway with 450 put down on it.

I come home after taking the Mrs. out on a date per say... Jump on line, and find NIB p94's for $450, 25 shipping then of course $20 transfer fee So a total of $495.

After tax I am paying $508.25 for a Used but as new one.:xmad::xmad::xmad:

Guess I will remember this situation when it is time to pick up a 2nd gun....

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Firearms, TV's, Computers, anything! Seems like no matter what you buy (especially if its non returnable) you will always find it cheaper. $13 isn't too big a deal, at least you have it in hand instead of waiting for it! BTW, rant away, we all do it!

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    With the internet, I really try to do my homework before I make a gun purchase. I can only think of one instance where I overpayed for a gun in the past several years, but I knew I was paying too much and I wanted it right then, so I was good with it.

I can understand your frustration though. The good news is you didn't get skinned too badly on this one.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Between Bud's Gun Shop, Bunbroker, AuctionArms, Armslist, and several others.....I can pretty much ALWAYS find a slightly better price or deal online. I may only save $5, sometimes I save $100....it varies widely on the gun and its popularity...but I've learned to check online first. This is where a smartphone comes in handy and it also goes with me to the gunshows. No matter how little those savings are, they add up over time if you collect like I do and allows for other purchases like ammo or mags. All of my recent purchases within the last 2 years have been entirely online, except for a couple local private sells which I was still able to talk the price down and get a better deal. But that's no guarantee so I still check online

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If it is a good local gun shop then 13 dollars is no big deal. They have to pay rent and make a living. Even when i am just looking around and checking things out i normally buy a box of 22 ammo before i leave. I have been fondling a H&K p7 in a local shop and I think i have 3 boxes of 22 this week from that shop. The ammo there is expensive also. I could get it at MEGA-LOW-MART cheaper but the locals can;t compete in buying power with the CHINA-MART.

Plus we all turn in that Internet sale at the end of the year and pay the taxes on the purchase with the state tax bill. 27 dollar tax on the internet sale and you paid 450 plus shipping of 25 plus transfir of 20 and tax of 27. Total off top of head is 522. 508.25 local so the local shop saved you 13.75.

Cheers to the local shop, and good deal.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    If it is a good local gun shop then 13 dollars is no big deal. They have to pay rent and make a living. Even when i am just looking around and checking things out i normally buy a box of 22 ammo before i leave. I have been fondling a H&K p7 in a local shop and I think i have 3 boxes of 22 this week from that shop. The ammo there is expensive also. I could get it at MEGA-LOW-MART cheaper but the locals can;t compete in buying power with the CHINA-MART.

Plus we all turn in that Internet sale at the end of the year and pay the taxes on the purchase with the state tax bill. 27 dollar tax on the internet sale and you paid 450 plus shipping of 25 plus transfir of 20 and tax of 27. Total off top of head is 522. 508.25 local so the local shop saved you 13.75.

Cheers to the local shop, and good deal.

I have never paid sales tax for online purchases. If you refer to the option to turn purchases in, and voluntarily pay MORE taxes...idk why anybody would

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Yes i guess my purple button was broken..........

I am just stating that getting around the 6 % sales tax does not keep me from purchasing things locally if possible.

Don't think they are not watching what you get shipped in. Amazon.com fought this in cali. It will not be long till other states see what revenue streams are available. Heck they just might be setting back and waiting for the intrest and penelties to add up.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    I've knowingly paid more a few times at the local shop because it is also a range. I don't mind paying a bit extra because it helps ensure that we have a place to shoot, especially in the harsh winter months. A relationship with a gun shop also gives you the ability to handle guns before you buy them sight unseen. Our shop also has an armorer that can help me with technical questions. There is another shop that I maintain a good relationship with as well because they give me favorable trade ins when I want to buy something under their glass, right now.

What I'm saying is that buying online is a good way to save money, but the purchase of the item is only a small part of the overall experience, in my opinion. YMMV.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I have never paid sales tax for online purchases. If you refer to the option to turn purchases in, and voluntarily pay MORE taxes...idk why anybody would

It's not an option, like the voluntary donation to the wildlife fund, if that's what you were thinking.

Persons are required to list those purchases and pay the tax. Choose to report it or not, that's up to you of course, but it's not an option that we're given, from the point of view of the IDR. So when the IDR's black helicopters start cruising your house, don't say nobody ever warned you.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have been burnt once like that, actually didnt do my homework on the model I was looking at, and payed what I thought was fair for the model I thought I was buying. Im still alive, and I learned. Actually ended up paying near new price for a used piece, but it was in like new condition, so I wasnt kicking myself too hard.
    Knowing what you are buying, and knowing what they are going for play into just about any purchase you make. It is a buyer beware world that we live in.

BJMANIS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Muncie
    I suppose a good deal is when the seller is happy and the buyer is happy. I know a couple of gun shop owners that have been good to me over the years. Do they charge more than Bud's guns. sure, but they too have familys and house payments to serve.
    So $13 is not going to break you and maybe the next time you go back, it might be a sweeter deal.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Not sure if we are allowed to post rants or not since I am still a newbie. If not, I apologize.

I went to the local gun store today, Checked out a what they called a used but as new Ruger p94 40 S&W. Had my Uncle with me which is retired fire arms instructor from the Boarder Patrol, He field stripped it and said it didn't even look like it had been fired!

Anyways, I got caught up in the moment and Bought it for $475 plus tax,actually its on layaway with 450 put down on it.

I come home after taking the Mrs. out on a date per say... Jump on line, and find NIB p94's for $450, 25 shipping then of course $20 transfer fee So a total of $495.

After tax I am paying $508.25 for a Used but as new one.:xmad::xmad::xmad:

Guess I will remember this situation when it is time to pick up a 2nd gun....

Was 13.25 worth the chance to hold the actual firearm you are buying and inspect it, or have a sales person assist you, or even build a relationship with a local gun shop so that maybe in the future, when you purchase something your regular sales guys knocks a few bucks off without you even asking, just cause you were pleasant give him steady business. Not sure but that's how I operate.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I leave the price wars to the local guys and prefer not to buy online unless it's an INGO purchase. You really didn't lose much and if it's bothering you that much talk to the store manager. He just may knock off the difference or throw in a box of ammo.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Welcome to the club Ninn. I think most times I have bought one at a local shop, I have found it somewhere for less when I get home. Life's too short, don't beat yourself up about it.

johnb62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    Evansville Area
    As others have said I also try to do my research before the purchase. After a purchase I make myself STOP researching. The deal is done. No sense in looking for a reason to be upset about something.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I think that you're having remorse over too few pennies to make it worth the stress you're giving yourself. If there was a hundred dollars difference, you might consider it a lesson in stupid for not finding a better local shop.

Indiana is severely fortunate to be surrounded by pretty decent shops no matter what part of the state you're in or you can drive an hour and find some pretty decent shops there. You may find that with continued repeat business, your dealers may get sweeter and sweeter. If you're just tire kicking, let them know so that the people who are buying can conduct their transactions. If you have a question, ask it. If that shop treats you like a burden for asking a question, give them the finger and beat feet and find somewhere who will treat you right.

Is this your first handgun? My guess is that it will not be your last! :) Also, welcome to INGO!

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    Yeah I overpayed by $25 on my SKS stock, I should have shopped around a little better, but I got excited and my emotions got the best of me.

Top Bottom