After a 50 cal blows up in your face..... what's next?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If you are not aware, Scott from the Kentucky Ballistics YouTube channel had a 50 BMG blow up in his face in April.

After that, fellow guntubers helped out for a bit.

Starting off small, Scott started to make videos again once he was able to. (Shameless plug)

So 6 months later, how about pulling both barrels of a 500 NITRO EXPRESS? Yep. (4:00 minute mark if you don't want to wait.)

EMT-Alex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2021
    Anderson
    I’d keep on shooting some 50 bmg, that’s what.

I’ll shoot guns until my very last breath.

He’s just more dedicated to his second amendment right than what we initially thought.

Props to Kentucky ballistics.

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    Ya, I had just started watching his channel right before it happened, and saw his initial videos on it. When he posted the full story, it kind of took my breath away really. I was glad he was alright, but horrified by what him and his dad went through that day.

My wife and I actually just had a conversation about him and how dedicated he was to firearms and he still has a genuine smile on his face every time I see him (well, a picture or video of him, I would LOVE to have a range day with that man! lol)

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    If you are not aware, Scott from the Kentucky Ballistics YouTube channel had a 50 BMG blow up in his face in April.

After that, fellow guntubers helped out for a bit.

Starting off small, Scott started to make videos again once he was able to. (Shameless plug)

So 6 months later, how about pulling both barrels of a 500 NITRO EXPRESS? Yep. (4:00 minute mark if you don't want to wait.)

I suggest the executive give it a go.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    This incident was just a combination of mistakes. Failure in rifle design e.g. a failure point that it directs an over pressure condition in any other direction that's not directly back at the shooter, or if that weren't possible, the ears should have been much more robust(seriously, those things looks to be about the size of a nickel folded in half) or just never making the damn thing in the first place. Failure in the ammunition, which could be due to several things such as age, overcharge, or intentional sabotage. And failure of Scott himself in choosing to shoot sketchy ammunition out of the most bargain basement version of a gun available chambered in such a massive caliber, and especially continuing to fire the same exotic animation type after multiple rounds resulted in wildly inconsistent hits on target.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    This incident was just a combination of mistakes. Failure in rifle design e.g. a failure point that it directs an over pressure condition in any other direction that's not directly back at the shooter, or if that weren't possible, the ears should have been much more robust(seriously, those things looks to be about the size of a nickel folded in half) or just never making the damn thing in the first place. Failure in the ammunition, which could be due to several things such as age, overcharge, or intentional sabotage. And failure of Scott himself in choosing to shoot sketchy ammunition out of the most bargain basement version of a gun available chambered in such a massive caliber, and especially continuing to fire the same exotic animation type after multiple rounds resulted in wildly inconsistent hits on target.
    This. Failure on his part to stop when he noticed something unusual while shooting ammo of unknown source. Watching the video he shoots, throws the case on the ground and keeps shooting, 3 times. Never inspects any fired case. Even when it doesn't sound right or recoil as expected.

As a reloader you are always inspecting fired cases for signs of unusual pressure. Good practice with any ammo.

Just my .02.

Don

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I had watched his after action report once he was stitched back up when it was released; as I recall his neck was badly lacerated by a chunk of steel and the docs said he saved his life by sticking his thumb in the wound to slow the severe blood loss on the drive to the hospital.

The ears on that rifle are not intended to contain pressure BY DESIGN. They are there to insure the rifle will not close unless the threaded chamber cap is fully seated. The strength of the material, dimensions and length of thread engagement contain the pressure and are designed with a significant safety factor that was exceeded by the defective round, which in all probability was greater than any over-pressure load ever used in the testing of any 50BMG firearm.

The only weapon defects I can imagine contributing would be a bad batch of steel or bad heat treat, or less likely dimensional error that might create inconsistent loading around the entire contact area of the threads.

Top Bottom