• gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    "we are commited to the rebuilding of Afghanistan."
    Read that in an article today.

On a side note, (not to defend the muslims) how would Christians here act if we had an occupying Muslim force, and they were burning bibles?

That would be bad, but not as bad as the fact that they prefer to burn the Christian Churches instead, that way they get the Bibles, crosses, icons etc.

Muslims in Egypt Burn Christian Homes and Shops, Attack Church Screaming Allahu Akbar - Atlas Shrugs

I know they are talking about Egypt, not Afghanistan, but there are no Christians left alive in Afanistan.

fireman76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    So, how many of you out there know how to build mud huts?

"we are commited to the rebuilding of Afghanistan."
    Read that in an article today.

On a side note, (not to defend the muslims) how would Christians here act if we had an occupying Muslim force, and they were burning bibles?

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    There has to be a way for us to quit Afghanistan gracefully and bring our kids home. Not sure how, but we ought to give it some thought.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Then look at any of a number of Muslim-dominated countries (Iran, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Somolia, etc.) and you'll have the answer to your question.

None of those Muslim dominated countries have an occupying force in a dominant Christian country (to my knowledge) so that example is void. If any of said countries were taking countrol of the US and started burning bibles here, i could only imagine there would be riots/backlash from said action.

Because bin Laden was a terrorist operating from Afganistan as his base of operations.

Do you really have such a weak grasp of world affairs or are you playing devil's advocate?

A little of both apparently.

For you to deny the fact OBL was in a position of authority/power is just obtuse. He wasnt just a terrorist, but their LEADER. You don't think a LEADER is a person in/of power? People killed themselves because OBL told them to. The fact that we trained him and maybe even funded his early operations just boggles the mind.

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    We cannot change people or force them to build themselves a viable nation from tribal factions. We can kill them, but we can't change them. We need to come home immediately.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    The "Stan" didn't earn the nickname of "Graveyard of Nations" for nothing. Across the centuries many have tried to conquer/pacify Afghanistan and no one has been able to do it. Why should we be any different? We are trying to fight the kinder/gentler fight and win the hearts and minds and it aint working! Get out now! Tomorrow start rolling them home! Screw "em! If we are so bad, I guess they won't miss us when the Taliban comes marching back home! We can always bomb them back to the stone age again when we need to!

Last edited:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    India has a strategic and economic interest in Afghanistan and the region. They also have a "strained" relationship with Pakistan. U.S. helping build India's economy has not helped our standing with Pakistan. India has also been the target of several Islamic terrorist assaults. Keep an eye on India when the U.S. leaves Afghanistan.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    That would be bad, but not as bad as the fact that they prefer to burn the Christian Churches instead, that way they get the Bibles, crosses, icons etc.

Muslims in Egypt Burn Christian Homes and Shops, Attack Church Screaming Allahu Akbar - Atlas Shrugs

I know they are talking about Egypt, not Afghanistan, but there are no Christians left alive in Afanistan.

the crazy thing is they let those churches actually be built in those muslim lands

Battles Around Nation Over Proposed Mosques - NYTimes.com

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Probably should have used what happened to the Soviets as an example of why it was a bad idea.

I dont think it was a bad idea to go there per say .... Just a bad idea to go there without any goals in mind. Im just not too sure what we are trying to accomplish there.

PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    I dont think it was a bad idea to go there per say .... Just a bad idea to go there without any goals in mind. Im just not too sure what we are trying to accomplish there.

I Think it was a bad idea to go full scale and send in over 100,000 troops and get full scale nation building going on. We should have (IMO) sent in Spec Ops teams to surgically find Bin Laden, destroy Al Qaeda, and GTFO.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    A little of both apparently.

For you to deny the fact OBL was in a position of authority/power is just obtuse. He wasnt just a terrorist, but their LEADER. You don't think a LEADER is a person in/of power? People killed themselves because OBL told them to. The fact that we trained him and maybe even funded his early operations just boggles the mind.

Sorry, you're wrong. OBL was the leader of Al Qaeda, not the Taliban, whose apparent leader was Mullah Omar Somethingorotherunpronouncable-the-One-Eyed.

And we didn't only train and equip OBL, we trained and equipped a number of groups who were opposed to the Soviets.

I have to say it, although I hate to, we made the same mistake in Afghanistan that we made in Vietnam. Instead of sticking with tactics that were working and relatively low-key (e.g. letting SOCOM troops and the CIA work behind the scenes with the locals), we brought in the conventional troops, which, of necessity, negated the "hearts and minds" approach unconventional troops are good at, but conventional troops suck at - not because of the troops, per se, but because more troops inevitably cause conflict with the locals. At least if we're going to turn tail and come home, we've got the right Administration in place to do it.

Top Bottom