• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Here is the background to this question. I have a friend that is relocating due to employment. He is going to have to rent a cheap apartment in a crappy area crimewise antil his job gets going. He just got his carry permit but has no firearms. He only has enough cash to get either a cheap handgun or a cheap longgun. He does have a family but wife isn't into firearms. I personally told him to get a decent handgun (hi point,surplus pistol) so he can have something to carry and have at home and get a cheap shotgun later. His budget is $200 max. What would you tell him?

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    check into a used EAA Windicator, it shouldn't cost him the full $200 considering they sell for 289 new, I have had one for a few years and it is a decent shooter. He could probably find one in a 2in barrel easily.

or you could be an awsome friend and loan him one if you can.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Here is the background to this question. I have a friend that is relocating due to employment. He is going to have to rent a cheap apartment in a crappy area crimewise antil his job gets going. He just got his carry permit but has no firearms. He only has enough cash to get either a cheap handgun or a cheap longgun. He does have a family but wife isn't into firearms. I personally told him to get a decent handgun (hi point,surplus pistol) so he can have something to carry and have at home and get a cheap shotgun later. His budget is $200 max. What would you tell him?

I would tell him to wait and save up just a little more. Also I would tell him t o do a litle window shopping and try a few out at a range, not sure where he is at but quite a few ranges around here have rentals. Also a good used one is an option. There is a decent gun store in Rennslear(not srue if thats the correct spelling?) But the guy is genarally pretty good at giving objective advice and has fair prices. Jmo.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    hey wait....i just realized you live in my area, I know some people I know are always asking me if I want to buy guns at a cheaper price ( usually the $300 area) maybe I could do some scouting and find a good deal for you.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I would tell him to wait and save up just a little more. Also I would tell him t o do a litle window shopping and try a few out at a range, not sure where he is at but quite a few ranges around here have rentals. Also a good used one is an option. There is a decent gun store in Rennslear(not srue if thats the correct spelling?) But the guy is genarally pretty good at giving objective advice and has fair prices. Jmo.
    this is a pretty good idea as well, if your friend isn't to far from you try dales Sport N' garden out on hwy 256 east of Austin, he is a good guy and if absolutely needed has a decent lay away plan. Also he recently seemed to have a decent selection in his used case at a reasonable price. Also squire's shop is just west of scottsburg (cabin fever) he also has a decent selection and good prices.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    At the risk of repeating myself, I would personally look for a snub Rossi revolver in .38 Special.

I've owned a couple, decent little guns, worth more than their asking price, in my opinion.

Get a workable carry holster, and he is ready to be armed in all the places where firearms are legal. And at home.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    If he only wants one for home protection, and not to carry, you can find plenty of chopped down 12 and 20 gauge H&Rs for under that price, like mentioned above.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    You mentioned he had a "family" which I presume means kids. I think he'll also want to look into a way to secure the firearm at home when he isn't carrying it, while allowing it to be handy. Depends on the ages and individual personalities of the kids, of course.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    If he is wanting something to carry, surplus. Cz70, cz82, or P64. If it's just for home a used 12 ga pump from a reputable maker.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Home only gun= IAC hawk (870 knockoff)
    Carry gun= EAA windicator 38/357 2" revolver.

Also, My dad has a hipoint 9mm, I ground/polished the internals before it was ever fired, and after 300 rounds, it hasnt failed once, and shoots a decent group at 7yds. I dont like it, but if you force-break it in, its pretty reliable.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    If he wants a first handgun that he can use for carry & home defense and his budget is ~$200, I would recommend a used CZ-83 chambered in .380.

CZ is a top tier manufacturer (high quality) with great customer service. The CZ-83 is a very reliable, compact pistol that has seen much use with European Police. It has a magazine capacity of 12+1 which should be more than enough for most self-defense situations. Also, the .380 round is easy to shoot for a beginner and with modern hollow point ammunition it has adequate "stopping power". :twocents:

Top Bottom