• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I have two Ruger 10/22's. Most fun gun I have. She will not be disappointed. I am getting ready to get my grandson one.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    The first rifle I got my son was a Cricket. It was too hard to cock so I traded it for a Rossi 22/410 combo (2 different barrels) break open gun. When he was ready, I got a 22 Henry lever action for him. Now he uses my guns, since he is now taller than me.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    This is off topic. Sorry. But doesn't this bring back memories of learning to shoot. Somebody should start a thread about some of those memories in a snapshot post.
    Either way he goes pretty fun to hear everyone's opinions, mainly because you can't go wrong with a Dad that is engaged enough to worry about what the first gun should be and wants to be part of it. I'm guessing most of the Dad's on the site care enough about their kids for this to be a really big and fun deal.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    This is off topic. Sorry. But doesn't this bring back memories of learning to shoot. Somebody should start a thread about some of those memories in a snapshot post.
    Either way he goes pretty fun to hear everyone's opinions, mainly because you can't go wrong with a Dad that is engaged enough to worry about what the first gun should be and wants to be part of it. I'm guessing most of the Dad's on the site care enough about their kids for this to be a really big and fun deal.
    I was thinking how cool it is too! I was a tomboy and i have fond memories of dad getting me my first fishing pole and tackle box, as well as the Daisy BB gun he got for us kids to share. We never had any bigger guns growing up, my mom wasn't real crazy about them. I'm sure i would have loved it if we had!

zx6rman96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    how bout a walther p22, buy it for you, and let her shoot it...best of both worlds.. its a great gun anyone can shoot.... but i also second the 10/22....lots of parts and accessories for that fun

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For my daughter's birthday we are planning on getting her a 22 rifle for target plinking. I was at Bradis, Plainfield, and Fort Liberty here in Indy and saw quite a few options. Doe anyone have any recommendations?

I'm leaning towards a Ruger 10-22 CCR with Fiber Optic bits on the sights. Mainly as it seemed to be a good rifle and it is semi-automatic. However, she expressed an interest in the pink rifles, and this is wood grain. I suppose I could always sand/strip it and paint it pink.

I did see a few pink ones in the mid size but they were classic bolt action. I figure if we are going to get involved in shooting competitions, even if just for fun, she would be better off with a S/A magazine. Also there was one that was inexpensive but it has a plastic stock.

Any thoughts anyone?

A good inexpensive 22 is a great starter gun. if she likes pink, go that route.

Now...if she CONTNUES to shoot, that is when I would consider more of an heirloom style gun, one that would last her a lifetime.

Personally, i have always been partial to lever actions over semi's or bolts, when it came to rifles. My all time favorite is the Browning BL-22. The Henry's are also nice.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I thought it would be better to stick with bolt action vs. a semi-auto. Wanted them to learn the value of making each shot count and to take their time between shots.

I agree with this line of thought. When I teach my kids to shoot I will be starting them off with a red ryder bb gun.

When they're ready for an actual rifle it'll be either a single capacity bolt action, or a break open single shot. After my bb gun, I started off my shooting career with a marlin 60 and it was a bad move for teaching a little boy marksmenship. That was a period of my life where I believed in accuracy by volume, instead of quality marksmenship. I've got a long time to wait though, 2.5 year old girl & 3 month old boy.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Marlin 795

would also recommend you look at a Marlin 795. The stock is thinner, and less expensive than a 10/22. I lovemine, it shoots more accurately than my 25 y.o. Marlin 60 or my Marlin bolt action model 25

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    would also recommend you look at a Marlin 795. The stock is thinner, and less expensive than a 10/22. I lovemine, it shoots more accurately than my 25 y.o. Marlin 60 or my Marlin bolt action model 25

+1 on that. $99 bucks at Dick's after rebate. It is light weight, and points quickly. I think it is just about the perfect squirrel gun. Here's mine:
    2011-09-18_20-57-28_362.jpg

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    My choice for my daughter when she was 11 was a Marlin 795.
    We have 3 in the safe and a 10-22 as well. All are great rifles IMHO, you couldn't go wrong with either choice.
    The Remington 597 has an optional pink laminate stock, and it even has a cool logo "Shoot like a girl" burned into it. It been a while since I've seen one of those for sale anywhere though.

Get her to an Appleseed shoot and she'll learn quickly. :patriot:

Top Bottom