• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Looking for a little advise on my first AR..please point out any pros or cons you have encountered with your AR.:ar15:

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    Stay with the good quality stuff, do a little research and buy only once. I like to avoid that whole buy once cry once deal I prefer not to cry at all and utilizing others experiences works well for me even today.
    There are alot of good AR's being made out there by enough different companies to boggle the mind. Its really easier to tell which ones to avoid than which ones to look at.
    I have had bad experiences with Olympic, Sendra's and Model 1 sales and M&A.
    I am a big fan of Rock River, Colt, Bushmaster, CMMG Sabre Defense and others,
    Decide what you want out of your AR then hunt around for a shop where you can fondle a few different models tellem thanks then head over the TSG and order what you want. :thumbsup:
    Seriously though whether you go the buy or build route there are alot of shops that can get you squared away. Elmore in Greenwood is likely the best AR related shop in the INDY area, they have a rather large selection of AR's and accessories.
    Get a keeper.

shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    thanks for the advice I had been tiring to NOT become too boggled lol! And that is why I am here asking! Figured folks who use/have a few might be able to pass on a few points of expertise that I would spend alotta money on my self! I currently am wondering about the DPMS .....

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    There are a lot of franken guns out there. Try to find someone on here that really knows ARs to look over any used rifle you're considering before you drop money on it. I got hosed on my first one because I didn't know what I was looking at. I was told it was a factory Bushmaster, and later found out the barrel wasn't factory, the lower parts kit wasn't factory... The only thing that was actually right was the lower receiver that said Bushmaster on it. Nobody knew WHERE the rest came from.

I'm still not familiar enough with them to be comfortable going over a used AR myself, so if it was me I would be buying new only. That way I know whose barrel, parts kits, etc. are in there.

shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    If I limit my self to strictly new then I would have to put it in a lay away.... just shy of a grand for this new toy and am showing serious self control! I will how ever def. have it checked out by a 3rd party! If they are not willing to except that then there must be a problem with it right?

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    If I limit my self to strictly new then I would have to put it in a lay away.... just shy of a grand for this new toy and am showing serious self control! I will how ever def. have it checked out by a 3rd party! If they are not willing to except that then there must be a problem with it right?

Build one and you will not regret it.
    You can buy parts of it as you have the money and assemble as you go.
    This will also allow you to get what you want, which saves you from upgrading a factory made AR.

shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I sure will be checking out all that i can before making a purchase. one day my life might depend on it ... Right?

mjones

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    McCordsville
    i would try to build one i have built two, it's pretty cool to look at the rifle when you are done and say i built that bad thing is it makes you want to build another :D

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've bought them, and built them, I think I have at one time owned every major mfg. out there. I have never owned an Olympic, never heard anything good about them. I have owned and do own DPMS, they make a decent quality AR. Never heard anything good about Mod.1 either.:twocents:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I had some quad-rails from them. Replaced them for KAC ones as they kept warping (its possible it was my fail/they were just bad though).

To weigh in on the original question... go colt or go home :D

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    any one know about Daniel Defense?

DD is GTG !!! (Good To Go) Rifles anyhow....

If you are hesitant about building one yourself, then buy a complete lower from a shop, order online and have it sent to the FFL etc... and then buy the upper in a seperate purchase online or from the shop. This is perfectly legal it can save you some $$ due to the assembled firearm tax that is not applicable on these as purchased parts.

But if you decide to build one up, INGO has a few build parties each year or there are plenty of us with the knowledge and tools that can assist you in the assembly of the AR components, surely someone in your area would be willing to help you out.

I have/ had these over the years: Armalite, Bushy, Colt, RRA, CMMG, DPMS, DoubleStar, Sendra, Superior & Stag (lowers), and a few others Im sure.

A good lower is really easy to find, even DPMS lowers are nice fit and finish, but their LPKs (lower parts kits) leave a little to be desired.... Ive seen very bad finishes, tool marks, a hammer and disconnector that I had to replace etc... in their LPKs.

In my AR arsenal now I have Colts, Bushys, CMMG and DS's, all of which have been 100% reliable. All but the Colts were assembled by me and are all Bushy, CMMG etc... no frankenguns.

And the Obama builds: (One Bushy was for one of my nephews)

ARlowers.jpg

lowers002.jpg

Last edited:

indiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just started looking for my first AR about two weeks ago, I asked around like you and went with the Spike's Tactical. $799.99 if not that one I would have went with CMMG. $750.00 new, in Fort Wayne. I should have mine Monday!

gilliu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    CDNN Smith & Wesson M&P15 .223 $599.99 after Rebate

I have to say upfront that I do not know the first thing about AR15's, aside from oogling ones at the last INGO display at Marion County Fish and Game.

I watch the Slickdeals website routinely, and this deal for a Smith and Wesson AR was posted on today's site:

CDNN Smith & Wesson M&P15 .223 $599.99 after Rebate - SlickDeals.net Forums

Good luck finding your gun -- hope you find a rockin deal and use the rifle well

G

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I might be a bit biased, but the old ABC doesn't hold water anymore. That "C" of Colt rubs us older folks wrong. Call it holding a grudge, but when a company tells me to go to hades, I don't forget.

To the A of Armalite, and B of Bushmaster add R of Rock River. There are many other new manufacturers who make great rifles at reasonable prices, but if you go new you can't go wrong with these.

My 2 cents of worthlessness would be if you are afraid to build one yourself (and big plus one to anyone who admits they really don't want to or realize they shouldn't) is to buy a complete lower from Rock River. You can customize it from them with different triggers and stocks having them build you exactly the lower you would like.

You can then shop around for the upper that suits your fancy. The Indy 1500 show should be called the Indy AR-15 show because many manufacturers show up there, and you can then hand select the upper of your dreams.

Done right you could wind up with an upper and lower that you put together to make a firearm that functions for less than or not much more than you can buy one used.

Unless you get lucky and find someone who has to get rid of one due to "family problems" :D

Top Bottom