Advice on introducing a firearm into the home (w/kids)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    My dad started me on a Red Ryder bb gun. I never did shoot my eye out, but I surely dented a mess of pop cans. I even took it hunting. When he felt I was responsible enough he moved me on to an air powered rifle, then a 410 for hunting, and so on. He also took me to the range now and then and let me shoot a few of his pistols.

Start small, make it a father/son thing, and never let him think it's a toy.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    I've had loaded and unlocked firearms in the house since the beginning...up and out of reach, but accessible to me.

Once they got older, I let both boys hold firearms of different types, always teaching proper and safe techniques.

Graduated to BB guns in the backyard, setting up a mini rifle range, and teaching proper rifle shooting techniques, with the promise that we would graduate to real guns if they demonstrated to me that they were safe, paying attention, and not acting retarded. Safety violations were met with dismissal from my range.

Eventually graduated to real firearms, went to different ranges several times, and observed the boys acting like responsible shooters.

Someone said earlier, and I agree, take the mystery out if firearms...but also, show them what destruction a firearm can cause...real pictures and videos of gunshot victims can be a real eye opener.

Gifted to each boy their very own .22 rifle...family heirlooms.

I made it clear that if they acted like idiots around me with firearms, there would be no cool **** like going out shooting with Dad.

So far, I've been very proud of the way they've handled themselves.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I have an old, disabled, (as in gutted) pellet pistol. I left it laying around the house until one of our sons picked it up and asked about it..... I educated a bit..... later on, he/they picked it up and asked again..... I educated a bit. ... and so on. All posts here are on target. The only comment I would make, is try and be sure (with kids? :rolleyes:) that you don't "force" any training. If they're not receptive right then, wait until they are.

Re what to get for your wife...... Just like shoes........ if they don't fit/feel "right" they won't be worn enough to break them in and see if they're gonna be acceptable or not. Get her someplace where she can handle as many firearms as you can find. If you want to PM me, I'll suggest a place within 45 minutes of you that has several hundred handguns for her to "try on".

If a given firearm doesn't "feel right" in your hands, you won't shoot it enough to become proficient with it. If you're not proficient with it, you may as well carry a ball bat.

Handguns come complete with trade-offs....... longer barrel = better sight radius, but heavier, but less perceived recoil, but harder to conceal....... shorter barrel = less sight radius, lighter, more perceived recoil, easier to conceal........ and like that.

Folks can be taught to shoot almost anything, but it's real tough to teach a person how to make a handgun feel "right" in their hands. (...ask Annie's daughter :) )

Last edited:

bcbz71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Panhandle, FL
    I'd rather my kid be the one in a group that knows how to use a weapon safely. Teenagers nowadays pick up a weapon, hold it sideways and aim it at people gangsta style. That's what they learn on TV. I would have gotten my teeth knocked out by Dad if I ever tried that.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Having just purchased an read Ayoob's Gunproof your Children, I can highly recommend it. I bought 6 copies to give many out to friends and family. A quick read with good advice.

Top Bottom