• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay319

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Boone County
    I am planning on getting a Garand and want to know if I should order one or drive to the South store to pick it up. Is there a difference in quality or selection? Or does it just depend on what happens to be on the rack the day I go? I know these are not new guns. That is part of what makes it interesting. I am planning on getting a Service Grade. Will the quality be decent or should I look at something better?

Old_grunt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Bloomington
    Considering the weather forecast for tomorrow and Saturday, I'd not drive anywhere! You can drive to the north store, at/near Camp Perry, OH and get one, which is a closer drive than Anniston. It would likely be advisable to call and find out the availability, at either store location, before actually driving there. Service grade rifles are excellent! Bought two of them and they arrived in a hardcase by a courier, very quickly. Currently, though, there is a 120-180 day backlog, from the time you place an order and it actually ships. The armorers check headspace, throat and muzzle erosion and on the two I got, both were rated +1 at the muzzle, while the throats measured +2 and +3, for the different rifles. Additionally, the rifles are test fired, prior to being sent to the stores or shipped to a customer.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I don't know if I would drive to the south store when the north store is much closer.

that said, the word on the street at the cmpforums is the selection is very very limited, and your better off to order one and have it delivered.

if your in the area would be one thing, but to make a special trip, probably not worth it right now.

gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    www.odcmp.org check out the store reports. It depends on what you want to get. The Service Grade Specials seem to be plentiful. Service grades not so much. Everyone should make the trip at least once. I ordered two service grades an HRA and Springfield on the same order. The Springfield looked like a service grade special, and the HRA looked like a field grade. So when you order you get potluck, if you go up there you see what you are going to get. But from what i've seen in the store reports there have been limited choices. Who knows maybe the elves are getting ready to drop some good stuff. I haven't looked at today's store reports.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I have bought 4 service grade Garands from CMP in the past 3 yrs. All were nice rifles, I got a nice WWII 1944 Springfield with USGI walnut SA/EMcF stock, Springfield 6 million series in CMP birch stock, and 2 HRA rifles each in USGI walnut. Each rifle had nice, shiny bores that had low throat/muzzle wear. All shot well, no function or accuracy issues.
    These were all mail order as I couldn't make the trip to North Store. One day, when the rush slows and if the racks get back stocked with service grades, I'd like to go and pick out another rifle. One can hope.
    I would recommend buying as much HXP 30-06 ammo that you can along with your rifle. Its about the best buy out there on Garand ammo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Like others have said, check the cmp forum store updates. I check them each week as I have been wanting a reason to drive up to the north store to pick out a service grade. However, the stock is very limited for field and service grade rifles right now and it seems the best way to go is to order one online and wait the 120-180 days...

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    For a service grade i'd just order it. Were it would pay to pick it out would be for a field grade

They still have SA Service Grades for mail order. I don't think the N. Store will see any for awhile.....if your going South and close to the South store, then ya I would check and see what kind of status they have on them first.

Top Bottom