• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fasttrees33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Taking my first trip out west next fall to hunt elk. Anyone have advice on what a good hunting rifle might be for western hunting trips?

I am currently thinking about purchasing the Remington 700 sps in 300 win

Any thoughts?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    For off the shelf options a Kimber Montana is unbeatable.

Regardless of platform I wouldn't want a 300 Win Mag. Of the chamberings they put into Montanas I'd rank them: 243 Win; 7-08 Rem; 280 AI; 7 WSM (tailing only because the command a premium price) against Elk. Those latter pair for shooters.

If finances didn't permit swinging a Montana it'd be a 700 SPS ranked as above, along with an apology letter to my knees.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I went elk hunting when I was 18. I ended up making a 438 yard neck shot. I took a weatherby mkv stainless in 300 wby. I really didnt know alot about rifles then (and no internet) but if i had it to do over i would have taken some form of 7mm.

Don't skimp on glass, you will spend alot of time behind binos scanning

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    When I went for the first time, after a lot of research and testing, I opted for 300 win mag....I have no regrets and the 300 win is suitable for all game in North American incuding bear...has outstanding ballistics...is readily available from all the major rifle manufacturers....and factory ammo is abundant....I am not putting down any of the other suggestions, just giving you my choice..

I went with a Ruger M77 with stainless barrel and synthetic stock...I did have a muzzle break machined on it which really helped with recoil....I have this rfiled zeroed to 1,000 yards :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I would go for the Montana rifles. They are far superior to a Remington in every way. 30-06 will take anything in North America. That being said, I would choose a 30-06, 270, or the 7mm Mauser that my rifle is being built on.

The Super-Wacker Magnums are cool and all, but at the ranges most shooters are comfortable taking a kill shot at the added cost and recoil usually aren't worth the extra power.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Like he said. .30/06 is probably top choice. It's big enough but not too big. Shot placement is more important than ragged power and /06 rounds are available almost any place.

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have killed two bulls in Colorado. First one with a .300 H&H magnum, second one with a 7mm Rem mag. Both were relatively close shots and any of the rounds previously recommended would probably have worked. Two years ago I hit a moving bull at about 400 yards with a 7mm Rem mag. Not so good this time. We tracked him for the next 1 1/2 days and never did find him. I suggest you use the most gun you can possibly shoot well. If you can't hit consistently with a .300 magnum round at 300 to 400 yards, move down the scale to the next round you can shoot accurately and consistently. Bullet placement, as previously stated, is crucial, but penetration and bullet energy at these ranges is equally important. You may regret trying to shoot a 100 yard round at a 400 yard bull. Imho.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a 7mm mag BDL and sold it for .300 Winmag mag BDL and then I shot my bud's Classic in .35 Whelen, so dumped the .300 to get a .338........which I never got.
    Eh, I bought an '06. Maybe rebore to Whelen at some point. I dunno.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    To be honest, I would rather you get a good budget rifle (Savage, Ruger American) or good used rifle and invest the cost difference in ammo. The name of the game is shot placement. I am not joking, but you would better served by putting a couple of hundred rounds through your rifle at the range in several positions (sitting, standing, shooting off of a pack, etc). Most folks settle on a box of shells and consider themselves ready. That just won't cut it with elk. They aren't indestructible, but you have to do your part. Also, spend the $$ for quality bullets - you don't want to cut corners. Lastly, be sure you are in good shape before your hunt. The best thing is to run/ hike and then shoot a few rounds. It's the closest thing to recreating hunting at altitude and being excited when you shoot.

Put in the work ahead of time and have a great hunt

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Lots of rounds mentioned will kill elk. I have killed elk with 30.06 and 300 wsm. The most critical issues are shot placement, good bullet construction and physical conditioning. Elk are not bionic, but can take a lot of lead from a poor shot. You DO NOT want to have to try to chase a wounded one down for a follow-up shot. A super-mag won't kill one any more dead than a .308 if you aren't in good enough shape to control your breathing when the elevation is kicking your butt.

Practice shooting, a lot, from various positions, not off the bench and do whatever it takes to get into shape, if you are not already.

The type of hunt determines the rifle choice in my opinion. If you are hiking, then by all means go light. If you are hunting on horseback, you can afford to take a heavier rifle as the horse will be carrying it most of the time. Dark timber vs. open cross canyon shooting vs. open desert terrain, etc...all play a part in determining what rifle I take and what caliber.

Dirty Steve

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    save the money and spend it on a Bow hunt for elk...
    what fun is taking a 500 yard shot when you can stand 40 yards away and hear the elk breathing.. and then sling an arrow at it.. if you've ever done it you won't want to gun hunt them again, it is intense..
    however goodluck with your hunt and with whatever gun you decide to hunt with!

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    I lived in aurora Colorado for 6 years and hunted every second I had. My first elk rifle was a sport sized Mauser 98 in 30-06. There is nothing in the North American continent that a 06 can not bring down with proper bullet placement and cartridge choice. I then lucked into a Winchester modlel 70 featherweight classic in 6.5 Swedish Mauser. Another cartridge that is an all around performer. A wizz bang super short shoulder cannon can not make an elk any more deader than either of the above. Buy a reliable mid grade or used rifle and spend the extra money on a GOOD scope and lots of practice ammo. Also absolutely do not forget a range finder there is no way to practice out here judging distance on a mountain side. I have a savage that is a tack driver and I would not hesitate taking it elk hunting. Practice practice practice!!! Best of luck. Where are you headed?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    There is nothing in the North American continent that a 06 can not bring down with proper bullet placement and cartridge choice.

Akin to saying: when you pull the trigger on an '06, there will be a bang. You'd be hard pressed to name a chambering that hasn't successfully knocked over the variety of game available in North America.

They do hold their resale value among Fudds like nothing else.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    save the money and spend it on a Bow hunt for elk...
    what fun is taking a 500 yard shot when you can stand 40 yards away and hear the elk breathing.. and then sling an arrow at it.. if you've ever done it you won't want to gun hunt them again, it is intense..
    however goodluck with your hunt and with whatever gun you decide to hunt with!

QFT

I've yet to do it. My cousin has a great 4x4 hanging on his wall he shot with a Martin bow at 28 yards.

Top Bottom