• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    My son has always wanted a Browning hi-power. Being a good father, I told him get a job and buy one. He is now 18 and picked-up a summer job, the first thing he wants to is buy a Hi-power. I'm thinking a Belgium but I really don't know. Any advice From Ingo would much appreciated.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    My son has always wanted a Browning hi-power. Being a good father, I told him get a job and buy one. He is now 18 and picked-up a summer job, the first thing he wants to is buy a Hi-power. I'm thinking a Belgium but I really don't know. Any advice From Ingo would much appreciated.

Yes, I would say go with the actual Browning Hi Power. There are a couple that make the kinda look a like ones, but I would not trust them. I have one that I had bought a couple years back, the Mark III. There is also an anniversary one out for sale, but I would avoid getting one of those as your first one. Also, might have to check, on pistols, I believe that you have to be 21 in order to buy the pistol, but 18 is ok for a rifle. If its being otherwise taken care of, its all good, but just wanted to give you the heads up on that.
    Back to the pistol. I have not had any malfunctions on mine and have had it for over 10 years. I would like to get some of the 13 round mags. I had bought the pistol during the "ban" years. Anyway, keep me updated. I will be interested to know. Also, tell him to get some good sights for it, mine still has the factory, but since its the Mark III, they are able to change out easy. And I have the Hogue grips on mine too.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    HPs are excellent pistols. I own and shoot several different ones and have owned many others. The Belgium HPs are probably the best, and most expensive. There are several companies that have copied the HP including FEG, FM and others. The FEGs are pretty much exact copies and function very well plus they are roughly half the price of an original HP. Good luck and keep us posted on what you/he finds.

uncle griz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    City with a Heart
    I have a beautifull 1974 High Power and I love it....another great choice is the Beretta 92FS. Both full size 9's.... I carry a Kel-tec P-11 (9mm) because it is much smaller and lighter (14.2oz), and it holds 10 rnds..12 with the mag modified. Good luck

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I just picked up an FN Hi-Power made in 1955 which is also my year of birth. I gotta say it performs better than I do and has aged a heck of a lot better also. Beautiful gun and functions flawlessly. The Browning and the FN are the exact same gun, manufactured in the same place, with different roll marks. The FN was destined for the European market, while the guns marked Browning came mainly to the USA. I spent $500.00 on it, from the good folks at Premier Arms in Brownsburg and feel that I got a pretty good deal. I've been a big 1911 fan for many years, but I am ashamed to say I think I am falling for a new pistol platform. Good luck!

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I have one from WWII it is amazing. He has a great taste in pistols. So my snobby vote would be for Belgium. However, I have only heard good things about other countries. It seems like Brownings designs were so good that no country can mess them up.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Calcot7 you got a sweet deal on that HP for $500, Bryce musta been in a good mood. I have a couple like that and they do shoot well, I just can't see the sights with my old eyes! I love to shoot my Ingles with stock too. I've had the FEGs and honestly they feel and function just as well, parts even interchange. Heck, now I want more HPs!!! :D

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I know what you mean 556. I have that same feeling about wanting more HP's. My eyesight is also pretty bad, but for some reason I can pick up on my new HP's front sight very easily. I can't figure that one out.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I've owned nearly a dozen HP's over the years....Argentines, FEG's, Brownings, Inglis and so on...I would recommend a plain-Jane MkIII. CDNN has the 75 year anniversary models for around $600. Stay away from any older ones (before the mid 1960's) they have an internal extractor that, once broken, can be a major pain to find a replacement. I've seen the FEG's going for around $300 when you can find one that hasn't been beat to death, they are good guns. Be sure it's the FEG PJK-9HP, that is the true "copy". Arcus is a brand that kind of looks like a HP, but isn't finished nearly as well, they can be found for under $300 in some places. I haven't found any decent Argentines in the past 5 years, but they are good, if rough, guns. Some company was bringing in Israeli surplus Hi-Powers for around $400...a Google search would probably find them.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I know what you mean 556. I have that same feeling about wanting more HP's. My eyesight is also pretty bad, but for some reason I can pick up on my new HP's front sight very easily. I can't figure that one out.

The HP fits my hand so well and feels so good I just point shoot it. It does amazingly well shooting that way too. I do have a Belgium in .40 that I might sell just b/c I like the 9mm version better. I did see the Israeli imports and most looked pretty rough but I'd just refinish it and shoot the heck out of it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The FEG bushing sticks out at the muzzle, unlike the reg HPs.
    One nice thing is that they already have the commander style hammer.
    On any I'd yank that %$#@ mag disco and enjoy a lighter trigger pull.
    Cylinder and Slide sells extended safeties and commander hammers, wider triggers, if folks want to mod theirs.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    HPs are excellent pistols. I own and shoot several different ones and have owned many others. The Belgium HPs are probably the best, and most expensive. There are several companies that have copied the HP including FEG, FM and others. The FEGs are pretty much exact copies and function very well plus they are roughly half the price of an original HP. Good luck and keep us posted on what you/he finds.

^^^This^^^

He's worked this hard already... He should go for the Belgium.

Of course, if he ever shoots one with the mag safety removed and the trigger / sear polished be is going to want to do that. The Belgium will hold it's value as well as offer a better chance of recovering the cost of such work down the road.

Excellent pistols!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Go with the Browning or FN marked MkIII. Stay with 9mm.

This is good advice, the MKIII's have the firing pin safety, an actual useable thumb safety unlike older "Belgium" Brownings and have dovetail front and rear sights which makes it easy to upgrade to better sights if you decide to. The finish on the newer ones is a nice matte black and is fairly durable.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    These are the two I finally kept after handling and firing many others. Both are MkIII's , one a bright blue and the other the "matte" blue. The grips are Herret's from CDNN. The bright blue has a Cylinder and Slide hammer and sear set-up. Mag safeties disconnected in both guns.

hammers.jpg

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    If hes looking for a good hi-power at a "less than browning" price....FM's or Charles Daly.

The charles daly is made in USA and machined by IWI/desert eagle....shoots.fits great.

God bless
    -Shred

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    FM's? Not familiar with that make, heard of Charles Daily. Could you give me some more info these models, so we can do some research.

Top Bottom