• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lyons0425

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Looking for some advice on getting a new upper for my DPMS lower. I've currently got the stock 16" with the fixed front sight on it. I've got a Nikon M223 (8x32) and would like to add a front bipod, upgraded handguard, etc... I'm new to the platform and am trying to figure out what length of barrel, style and manufacturer to look at. This gun will be setup purely for distance shooting (100-300 yds). Thanks.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    You don't have to swap the whole upper if you don't want to - you can swap the fixed sight for a low-profile gas block and the standard handguard for a free-float guard of any type you want, etc. You can even get a new barrel and have it swapped - a competent gun smith will generally swap a barrel for $20~40 or so last I looked but I do my own barrel swaps.

100-300 yards should be fine out of a 16" barrel but if you're going for long range accuracy I'd probably go with a 20" so long as it wasn't going to be used as a defensive rifle. At range I want all of the velocity I can get behind my round.

If you go to Bradis you can pick out what you want and they'll put it on for you - if you do it all at once I think [you'd have to ask to be sure] but it would be a single fee of $35 for the work. None of it is terribly hard with the right tools.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    100-300 yards is not a challenge for a 16" barrel. It might be a bit easier with a 20" barrel or longer, but 16" will do that all day long if you do your part.

In boot camp we had to qualify with the M16 at 200, 300, and 500 meters, with iron sights only.

Save your money and practice, practice, practice...

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    100-300 yards is not a challenge for a 16" barrel. It might be a bit easier with a 20" barrel or longer, but 16" will do that all day long if you do your part.
    Sure a 16" would work, so would a 14.5" but if the whole idea behind the rifle is long-range accuracy then I'd go with the 20".

I mean I have no issues shooting tight groups with my 16" at 100 yards but know of nowhere that I can shoot 300 to try it out.

lyons0425

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    In boot camp we had to qualify with the M16 at 200, 300, and 500 meters, with iron sights only.

my buddy who is a retired Marine reminds me of this frequently...

I will look into a new gas block for sure. In any case if I do decide to upgrade barrels, any suggestions? I was thinking of either upgrading my 16" barrel or swapping to a 20" of some variety.

lyons0425

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    You don't have to swap the whole upper if you don't want to - you can swap the fixed sight for a low-profile gas block and the standard handguard for a free-float guard of any type you want, etc. You can even get a new barrel and have it swapped - a competent gun smith will generally swap a barrel for $20~40 or so last I looked but I do my own barrel swaps.

100-300 yards should be fine out of a 16" barrel but if you're going for long range accuracy I'd probably go with a 20" so long as it wasn't going to be used as a defensive rifle. At range I want all of the velocity I can get behind my round.

If you go to Bradis you can pick out what you want and they'll put it on for you - if you do it all at once I think [you'd have to ask to be sure] but it would be a single fee of $35 for the work. None of it is terribly hard with the right tools.

I'll have to look into parts and talk to some of the shops in my area to see about costs. Bradis is only about an hour from my house, so I may just give them a call. Any free-float manufacturers better than others? I'm looking for something lightweight and not too long, but long enough to make a bipod worthwhile. I'll have to do some shopping around tonight.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I too was thinking of long(er) range shooting, but my idea of "longer range" is more like 600+ yards so I went with a 24" barrel for my "precision" AR.

Longer barrel almost always equates to better accuracy at longer ranges.
    I just wanted to point out that a longer barrel isn't a necessity for out to 300 yards.

I'm not sure what you could do to "upgrade" your 16" barrel unless you change it out, in which case it would make sense to go with the longer barrel.

My point was, if you can learn to drill your target at 300 yards with a 16" barrel, imagine how accurate you could be with a longer barrel.

There simply is NO short-cut for practice, practice, practice...

lyons0425

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    I too was thinking of long(er) range shooting, but my idea of "longer range" is more like 600+ yards so I went with a 24" barrel for my "precision" AR.

Longer barrel almost always equates to better accuracy at longer ranges.
    I just wanted to point out that a longer barrel isn't a necessity for out to 300 yards.

I'm not sure what you could do to "upgrade" your 16" barrel unless you change it out, in which case it would make sense to go with the longer barrel.

My point was, if you can learn to drill your target at 300 yards with a 16" barrel, imagine how accurate you could be with a longer barrel.

There simply is NO short-cut for practice, practice, practice...

Definitely understand on the practice part, I hope to get a lot more time at the range this year when my schedule slows down.

By upgrade, I mean go to a heavier barrel or what I've seen on the DPMS website as a bull barrel. I'm not sure what it will get me, if anything.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    A heavier barrel will do three things:
    1. Add weight
    2. Heat up slowly
    3. Cool down slowly

A lighter weight barrel will do three things:
    1. Reduce weight
    2. Heat up quickly
    3. Cool down quickly

Honestly - unless you're in-combat and have a full-auto firearm [you don't] then I would go with the light weight profile. If you look at the barrel profile it's skinny near the receiver no matter whether it's heavy or not [except some barrels designed better] so having more thickness/weight towards the muzzle isn't going to help with barrel droop.

Personally I'd get the lightest barrel from a reputable barrel manufacturer that you can find that will meet your needs. I mean heck - if you can afford it - get a Noveske barrel :).

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I prefer lighter short barrels. The farthest i have shot my 14.5" was 400 yards with a 4moa red dot. Hit 4 of 5 in center chest area and one just mist the shoulder and that was laying on the ground using the 30rd clip as a bipod. Now it has a xtr 1-4 and has no problem hitting milk jugs at 300. Havent had a chance
    To try anything smaller at that distance. 8" steel target is a piece of cake at 200yards. I usually shoot the pmc bronze which isnt target ammo. Its all about what you want and what you plan on doing with it. I learned long ago that thumbhole stocks and bull barrels suck if your planning on doing any long walks while Hunting.

Top Bottom