Adventures in Tech Support - NEW Episode!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    I have been in IT at a higher education institution for over 16 years. It never fails to amaze me how technologically illiterate people who work at such an institution can be (faculty, professionals, and staff alike). Most of the time they are very nice and grateful when helping them face to face, however when they are dealing with a faceless support person they don't know already over the phone they can be mean and down right belligerent. On the bright side it means I have job security in spades. :rockwoot:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think there are a few responses in this thread that show why IT people get so frustrated. Either people assume they know it all....when they don't, or take offense that they would be expected to know anything.

Spectacular!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Oh, I don't mind them being technically illiterate. I don't expect them to be experts for the same reason I bring my car to a mechanic when I need a brake job done. I have a working knowledge of my car. I can put gas in, change the oil, etc. but I don't know enough to replace the exhaust system. What I do expect is two things:

A) Have a basic working knowledge of the tools you use to perform a majority of your daily tasks. If you're a boring mill operator and you call the "boring mill help desk" asking how to turn the mill on, then you're not qualified to do your job and all the offended huffing you can muster won't change that. Learn how to use your tools and quit blaming the boring mill help desk for making it "too complicated".

B) You should be able to follow basic directions. If the basic direction is "Call this phone number if you have a help desk issue", then you aren't allowed to get mad when you e-mail a random engineer and they don't get back to you immediately (or at all). That's why there are procedures and it's not unreasonable to expect you to know what they are.

Other than that, I'm thrilled to help you with whatever mindless IT problem you've devised today.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My son had a minor (as it turns out) IT issue the other day with his Surface. You know how all Windows devices say not to shut the device down during an update? He did. It caused all kinds of mayhem and we were unable to do a Reset from a Microsoft download. Long story short, I was proud that he was able to get to a C:\ in order to copy his school work files not on OneDrive to a flash drive (Yes iPad people, Windows tablets can do this), but in the end, we had to make the 125 mile round trip to a Microsoft store to get it re-imaged. We were very pleased with the service we got there.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    O.....Other than that, I'm thrilled to help you with whatever mindless IT problem you've devised today...........

Every time I touch the C key on my computer the power goes off. Can you help?

I've attached a picture to help.

Thanks

Sony_Mobile_Hallmark_Power_Button-640x516.png

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    Just let the customer that the problem was a PEBKAC error, specifically a ID10T code.

I love my job, but it's the users that drive me to drink.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I work technology in higher education. Talk about drama when the profs technology is not working for them, or they do not know how to use technology. Oy vey!
    I used to do that years ago. The English department seemed to be the worst. Had a soon to be retired Literature Prof put in a support ticket that said, "Smoke is coming out of my printer. Should I turn it off?"

When I saw the ticket I called right away and asked if she'd unplugged the printer. She said, "No, it finally stopped smoking."

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For those of you who are not computer literate, let me break it down for you. If you have no internet access, YOU CAN'T SEND AN E-MAIL EXPECTING SERVICE. It's like sending a letter to the Postmaster complaining that the postman hasn't picked up your mail in a month, and then yelling at the Postmaster for not receiving it.

What if my I use my smartphone to send the e-mail?

oh+snap+john+mcain.jpg

Top Bottom