• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What size semi-auto do you pefer to Conceal Carry?

• Total voters

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I voted subcompact as I, like Top Dog, own a PM45. That said, I'm wearing my Sig P220 Compact as I write this. I hardly ever carry a 1911 or full sized, though the situation always dictates.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I don't care if it prints, and I'm proficient with it. Those that know me, know I'm carrying (and most likely what), and those that don't know me, are most likely too absorbed in their own world to give a damn...... and that suits me just fine.
    +1 When carrying anything compact, I often forget where it is, even if I KNOW exactly where it is. I usually feel like it's still sitting in the booth, or on the seat. With the full size, I always have that familiar weight.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Both of my pistols are fullsize. My 92FS, is just a back up encase my main carry gun is out of service. My daily carry is an Xd service model. Winter time I use my Xd gear holster. I use a Blackhawk belt with metal buckle. I can not really tell, I'm even carrying it. For summer time, I have a pancake IWB holster. I can carry it comfortable with no problem. Just throw my shirt over it, and ready to go. I have never been a fan of subcompacts. If I can not not fit my entire hand, with a comfortable grip then I do not want to carry it. Yes some models, you can buy extended mags like the Xd. But then you are practically carrying a fullsize mag. That's the part of the weapon protruding while carrying. So to me might as well carry a fullsize. I also like no shorter then a 4" barrel for my main carry gun. To me it helps with recoil, and follow up shots. That's my personal views and preference.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I carry a full sized 1911 with a SuperTuck and have no trouble. I also carry a Springfield XD Sub Compact in a Smart Carry now and then, and my mouse gun is a P3AT.

Full sized guns have a better sight radius, longer barrel and are more accurate in general as a result. But up close and personal those things don't mean as much. Getting back on target after your first shot is also easier with a heavier gun. Comfort, concealment and controllability are all key.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    Small but not TOO small.

Sub Compact for me. Kahr PM9 in a tuckable holster at 4:00 oclock. Printing is a big concern for me. Mostly for employment reasons. Guns are against company policy but the bosses treat it more like Don't Ask Don't tell. If they see it someone will ask and I'll be out of a job. The PM9 is about as small as I'm comfortable with and can still shoot well. Even in dress pants and a button down shirt I never worry about it printing. I always carry the same gun, in the same holster, in the same location on the waist. I don't even notice it anymore and just always know its there. Its comforting as well as comfortable and that works for me.

CVictor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Crown Point
    Full sized 1911 here, and sometimes 92FS. Subcompact guns just don't feel right to me, and if you put the extended mags in so that you can get your whole hand on the thing, they are harder to conceal than a nice, thin 1911.

Trevorreplys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    I carry my dads Glock 19 (only a few times) or my Taurus Pt99 that I bought on the forum. I am not sure why I like carrying the bigger bulkier gun. I guess because the 'its mine' factor. But I dont plan on buying a compact gun anytime soon. Next carry gun will be a decent sized revolver or a 1911.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I change it up between a 92fs and a p226, I am probably going to pick up a couple 1911 holsters and see how I like it for carry. So far it has been a nightstand gun.
    My girlfreind always carry's her p226 and I can't get her to entertain anything else.
    I prefer a full size for a couple of reasons.
    They seem thinner to me and fit my small mit better. I was going to go to a mid size and still might, but I know it won't be a p229 as they feel about an inch thicker than a p226 to me. I am thinking about a P6 but i personally don't see a huge size difference between mid and fullsize.
    I also feel like if for some reason someone got so close as I drew my weapon that I was unable to take aim, a thunk in the head may take them back enouph for me to get a better shot. I don't know how practical it is but ya know....:)
    could also have something to do with me being a small fellow, I'd rather be a small guy with a hand cannon, than a small guy with a pee shooter ;)

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I carry a P220 or a fullsize USP because I don't really have a problem concealing them. If I was smaller and had trouble concealing a full-size I'd probably go for a smaller version.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I will always carry a full size gun. I can appreciate the convenience of a sub-compact but prefer the heft, sight radius, capacity and grip of a full size gun. To me, the marginally higher hassle of CC a full size gun is worth it. That is, for the few months of the year when a winter coat forces me to CC.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I prefer to carry full size because there is less temptation to keep it in deep concealment. An incident the other day opened my eyes to how fast things can happen. I was at my friends house and his dog made it from the couch in the living room, across the dining room and kitchen and jumped on me in much less than a second. He is a very friendly dog, but if he hadn't been I would have been in deep. I carry strong hand side in an OWB holster with a slight cant. There is no way I could have presented the pistol to that dog even in the distance he had to cover, and would wind up having to sacrifice my weak arm or worse in a real attack.

I do "conceal" my OWB by having a T-shirt over it, or a jacket with it exposed. It is pretty easy for anyone to make me, and I know that LEOs and others that carry do it regularly. My primary concern is not having some hoplophobe flip out on me, and they are generally blissfully oblivious to all but the most obvious things.

For me it's an issue of balance, if the concealment is too deep, the pistol would be almost inaccessible in an unexpected confrontation. If it's too obvious, you'll have repeated run ins with those unable or unwilling to take steps to defend themselves and their families.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Full size 1911! I'm not sure though if I am going to stick with that. I've got a really small frame (130 lb soaking wet) but super tall. So my 1911 looks like I have a rocket launcher under my jacket. :)

Advantages? Yeah, I'm pretty new to this whole "carrying" thing. . I just really like my 1911.

Last edited:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Why the restriction to "SEMI-AUTO"?
    Right now I'm carrying a 6 1/2" N Frame (model 610) in a Bianchi X-15 sholder rig under my vest. It is more comfortable than many belt mounted rigs and conceals better. Also, more accessible while sitting at desk or driving.
    When I carry an auto, it's a full size 1911 Kimber in a Galco "Fletch" but I have a shoulder holster on order for that too.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Why the restriction to "SEMI-AUTO"?
    Right now I'm carrying a 6 1/2" N Frame (model 610) in a Bianchi X-15 sholder rig under my vest. It is more comfortable than many belt mounted rigs and conceals better. Also, more accessible while sitting at desk or driving.
    When I carry an auto, it's a full size 1911 Kimber in a Galco "Fletch" but I have a shoulder holster on order for that too.
    Rep added for carrying an N-frame. Me too (model 327).
    Does the 610 chamber both 10mm and .40 S&W? which do you load it with?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'm not sure that the LCP would be big enough to qualify as SubCompact, maybe Sub-SubCompact? I carried a full size XD.45 for a while, but it was just too hard to conceal(I'm 5'7" 180lbs). I switched to the XD.40SC, much easier to conceal effectively and more than twice the physical size of the LCP, yet a "sub compact".

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I've carried(as far as glocks go)

Glock 21sf - full
    Glock 23 - comp
    Glock 27 - sub

the easiest, and most comfortable to carry is the 27(owb and iwb). Most fun to shoot is probly the 21sf, but I really enjoy the 27 and I'm accurate with it. I guess the 23 just didn't cut it for me. I didn't hate it but I enjoy the 21sf and the 27 more.

Top Bottom