• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ok, I've got the tool. Is there anything I have to loosen before using the clamp-type tool to push the sight left and right? My AK is hitting way left, so I put the clamp on and couldn't budge the sight. I see there is a screw on the bottom, do I need to loosen that up before pushing the sight?

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Wouldnt hurt to let her soak in some CLP or gun oil overnight. Its probaly only been adjusted on once so it may need some help. Also, there is no screw. just left or right movements.

Ok, thanks. There is a screw on the under side, didn't know if it was involved in the process or just held everything together.

I bought it probably 9 years ago and never have messed with it much. Finally got it out and put a Tapco trigger in it and am getting it set up to run.

I'll get it to soaking.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    ^^^ A soaking to loosen up, and make sure the sight tool clears the side being pushed through. It might take a little force to get started.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Ok, thanks. There is a screw on the under side, didn't know if it was involved in the process or just held everything together.

I bought it probably 9 years ago and never have messed with it much. Finally got it out and put a Tapco trigger in it and am getting it set up to run.

I'll get it to soaking.

Theres a screw?:dunno: You mean where the front sight post is screwed in? What country of manfacture is it?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Forget the wimpy little tool. A bench vise and a socket large enough for the pin to move inside it are needed to move the front sight. No soaking required....Or desired.

In my experience.

Let me know how it works. It will work.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Theres a screw?:dunno: You mean where the front sight post is screwed in? What country of manfacture is it?

Its Romanian, an SAR-1. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow, but visualize the front sight assembly as an "A". The piece that you are adjusting with the little vise tool is the crossbar of the "A" and the sight post itself sits on top of the "A". On the bottom side of the crossbar is a regular head screw that goes up into the crossbar. I was wondering if that screw held tension on the part that you are trying to get to slide, so if I backed it off a bit it would make it easier. You'd have to use one of those little "S" shaped screwdrivers to access it, though, its recessed a bit and getting in between there and the barrel would be a challenge.

I tried to find a picture online, but everything is from the side or the top. You have to flip it upside down to see it.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Forget the wimpy little tool. A bench vise and a socket large enough for the pin to move inside it are needed to move the front sight. No soaking required....Or desired.

In my experience.

Let me know how it works. It will work.

The issue there is my work bench and my shooting range are about an hour apart. It'd be a long day and a lot of gas money to use the vice to adjust it in right. If I still can't break it loose after the soak I'll use the vice first and then see if the tool will move it, though.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I understand. My vice and range are 20 minutes apart. I moved the front sight at home and it was right on later at the range. I got lucky.

Thing is, if you break it loose with the vise, it is easily moved later on the range with the wimpy front sight tool.

Top Bottom