• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A firearm neglected (rarely cleaned, maintained, and inspected), may have mechanical failure. Someone somewhere down the line would certainly be negligent in that scenario.

I really don't believe in freakish accidents. There's always something someone could do to prevent a negligent discharge.

Some people are pretty hard on themselves even when they've closed the gap to reasonable levels. Others are pretty much never going to accept responsibility for their actions and pretend to be blameless. It's mind blowingly too common to hear BS excuses when a car wreck, work injury, or firearms incident happens.

OS3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    ECI
    Had my first one in 25 years of owning firearms just last Friday. Savage Striker 516 .243 (hunting handgun) got ready to head out and loaded 2 rounds in the magazine, slid on into the chamber as I always have loaded it (I've had this gun for 11 years) and when I pulled the bolt latch down, WHAM, she went off. Thankfully I had her pointed to the ground and away from my feet.
    First thought was that I hit the trigger while I was loading it, but that doesn't make sense because the bolt was back. So I tore it apart, put it back together, then worked the bolt with the chamber empty a few times. Hasn't done it since, and I hope it doesn't do it again, scared the **** out of me.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Mine was years ago with a German Mauser. Had one chambered and put the safety on to adjust the sling. When I flipped the safety off, it went bang. Note that my finger was nowhere close to the trigger, since I had my hand on top of the stock to move the safety toggle.

I tried to recreate the incident, but never could. I never used the safety again - I just partially opened the action instead.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    Mine was years ago with a German Mauser. Had one chambered and put the safety on to adjust the sling. When I flipped the safety off, it went bang. Note that my finger was nowhere close to the trigger, since I had my hand on top of the stock to move the safety toggle.

I tried to recreate the incident, but never could. I never used the safety again - I just partially opened the action instead.

i had an incident like that during training w/ a taser. i aimed it, pulled the trigger, and nothing. pulled it in, flipped it to safe, checked it out, and tried again. still didnt fire. when i brought it back in and flipped it back on safe it fired. luckily it was still aimed at the target, or someone on the firing line would have got quite a "shock". teehee.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I really don't believe in freakish accidents. There's always something someone could do to prevent a negligent discharge.

One can prevent negligence, preventing accidents is another thing entirely.

Of course by adhering to the Four Rules we can eliminate injury.:)

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    Ok I'll fess up. While I have never shot a round anywhere but down range, I do get to happy with the trigger on my Rem. 700 about every other trip. Usually just a bad shot, but once it hit about 20 yds in front of the bench and sent crap flying for ll to see. I am fairly sure part of the problem is being so used to the 2 stage trigger on my AR. Which when it comes down to it is me being to comfortable on the firing line.

Top Bottom