• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    What would the liberals do without them. They are the biggest promoters of the Democratic party!

The video is cool(less the music). It looks like most of it is recycled WW1 and 2 footage with Sci-Fi twist added.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Out west, I lived on Craft Services. Without actors I would have shriveled up and died!

Cool vid though. :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Looks like it was based on H.G. Wells' "War of the Worlds". Not terribly different than the original film I didn't think. The mixing in of WWI footage was pretty cool though.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Neat vid.

I know some guys that use software packages to create and integrate 3d models/animation into live action. It is very cool stuff.

Doing humans as 3d animation is still very difficult. Possible, but difficult.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Neat vid.

I know some guys that use software packages to create and integrate 3d models/animation into live action. It is very cool stuff.

Doing humans as 3d animation is still very difficult. Possible, but difficult.

It takes a lot of computing power to generate that level of graphics.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, and a metric blank ton of talent to get the models and animation done. It is still cost prohibitive for all but the big studios and dedicated hobbyists.

There are some tools out there that may democratize it, as personal computing horsepower grows. But that's still a way off.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Actors have been obsolete since "Steamboat Willie", if not before. I've seen plenty of animated movies that were far and away better, in every respect, than many live action movies.

Also, that is an impressive film, but note some tricks that were used to make it more lifelike:

- making it look like old newsreel footage with the fuzziness and image quality issues inherent therein, masks the fact that CGI just isn't quite "real" enough yet
    - black and white- easier to look realistic
    - faces either behind gas masks or at a distance- realistic faces are extremely difficult in CGI...in fact, the closer they get, the creepier (Uncanny Valley)

Last edited:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Actprs have been obsolete since "Steamboat Willie", if not before. I've seen plenty of animated movies that were far and away better, in every respect, than many live action movies.

Also, that is an impressive film, but note some tricks that were used to make it more lifelike:

- making it look like old newsreel footage with the fuzziness and image quality issues inherent therein, masks the fact that CGI just isn't quite "real" enough yet
    - black and white- easier to look realistic
    - faces either behind gas masks or at a distance- realistic faces are extremely difficult in CGI...in fact, the closer they get, the creepier (Uncanny Valley)

Nailed it. It reminded me of Tom and JErry among others which never show the humans above the knees.

Top Bottom