NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    UNCONFIRMED AT THIS TIME.........

Seeing reports like this surface in the Vegas area tonight:

67-year-old career college professor with connections to schools in Georgia and North Carolina, a law enforcement source told CNN

The gunman recently applied for a job at UNLV but was denied.

Individual was supposedly a business professor. (Would make sense why he went to the biz bldg to do damage if it's true).

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Well,

I am not a lawyer, but,

In 1981, the D.C. court of appeals ruled that the police...""have a general public duty, but that no specific legal duty exists..."
    (Warren vs D.C. court of appeals)

Then, in 1989, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that "police have no specific obligation to protect."
    And yet they still answer calls for service and are injured or killed trying to protect members of the public. But hey, lets keep bringing up a 42 year old case to try to throw shade.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Well,

I am not a lawyer, but,

In 1981, the D.C. court of appeals ruled that the police...""have a general public duty, but that no specific legal duty exists..."
    (Warren vs D.C. court of appeals)

Then, in 1989, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that "police have no specific obligation to protect."
    Don't wanna speak for Mr stein, but I believe what he's trying to articulate is even with those rulings, most police respond to situations and engage in whatever crime is being committed. Believe he's taking some exception to being lumped in with the "coward of Broward County" type of cops

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    UNCONFIRMED AT THIS TIME.........

Seeing reports like this surface in the Vegas area tonight:

67-year-old career college professor with connections to schools in Georgia and North Carolina, a law enforcement source told CNN

The gunman recently applied for a job at UNLV but was denied.

Individual was supposedly a business professor. (Would make sense why he went to the biz bldg to do damage if it's true).
    Oh boy, that's spicy.

Did LVMPD guys put him down? Worst damn place in the country to pick a fight with LE, those boys love shooting people and are extremely good at it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    And yet they still answer calls for service and are injured or killed trying to protect members of the public. But hey, lets keep bringing up a 42 year old case to try to throw shade.

Only shade I look for in your case, Frank, is the huge shadow you cast trying to stop idiots from hurting themselves and others. Mouse always spoke highly of you and the common sense you display. Thank you for what you do.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Looks like a lot of bad info came out on this one, and a lot more still to come... as expected.

I'm not one to bash LEOs. I am one who realizes there may be action required before the arrival of LE. It was Jeff Cooper who said, "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is never overcome by fleeing from it."

94% mass public shootings since 1950 have been in the incorrectly named GFZ per Dr Lott. Pretty soon that might start being a trend or something.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'm not throwing any shade here. Your interpretation of my post is what you wanted it to be because your axe is never sharp enough. But I get it. I'm also in a field that gets a lot negative push back. It's easy to take offense when this happens and then go on the defense when you yourself are honestly just trying to do your best with what resources you have available. My post was in no way a dig on police. I should have been more clear. This student in that interview is directing his frustration at the wrong people. The campus police are not to blame. They have certain resources and are constrained by time. He should be frustrated with the school, the local, state and federal government for not allowing grown adults to protect themselves while waiting for police to arrive. As an adult your protection is your personal responsibility. It's not realistic to think the government or any of its entities will be there to protect you at any and all times.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    At this point, I feel like this one definitely did not meet the criteria for the left since I’ve barely heard anything about it. They didn’t even mention it in the 11:00 news last night on Channel 4.

“This won’t even make the paper in El Paso.”
    Fizzed out when not many people died, it wasn't an AR15, there was no manifesto or political motive, and only staff died.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I'm not throwing any shade here. Your interpretation of my post is what you wanted it to be because your axe is never sharp enough. But I get it. I'm also in a field that gets a lot negative push back. It's easy to take offense when this happens and then go on the defense when you yourself are honestly just trying to do your best with what resources you have available. My post was in no way a dig on police. I should have been more clear. This student in that interview is directing his frustration at the wrong people. The campus police are not to blame. They have certain resources and are constrained by time. He should be frustrated with the school, the local, state and federal government for not allowing grown adults to protect themselves while waiting for police to arrive. As an adult your protection is your personal responsibility. It's not realistic to think the government or any of its entities will be there to protect you at any and all times.
    That was the way I took your first comment

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Fizzed out when not many people died, it wasn't an AR15, there was no manifesto or political motive, and only staff died.
    Probably want it to go away since Chucky Schumer and others immediately started blaming Republican for killing his AWB just hours before the shootings which his bill would have prevented... oh a handgun? whoops.

Reactions: KG1

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I think that we should be careful about happily pointing out when handguns rather than AR-15s are used in "mass shootings" . It's not like anti gun nuts don't want to take those away from us, too. Especially ones that are "fully semiautomatic weapons of war, capable of using a removable 'clip' with a capacity greater than 10".

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I think that we should be careful about happily pointing out when handguns rather than AR-15s are used in "mass shootings" . It's not like anti gun nuts don't want to take those away from us, too. Especially ones that are "fully semiautomatic weapons of war, capable of using a removable 'clip' with a capacity greater than 10".
    I could be like others about flying... "My guns don't carry more than 10rds I don't care."

But I can't. I will fight them always even when it doesn't apply to me (bumpstocks, braces etc).

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    My axe is never sharp enough? Lol. I assume you are an RN based on your name. Your "negative push back" in public settings is nil compared to that of LE. And I don't see INGO members quoting SC decisions to speak negatively of those in the healthcare field. I will continue to defend the honorable actions of LE, especially when I feel a comment is made to denigrate them.

Top Bottom