Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    No rain on the range between 10-2 does not seem like a large request.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It was a great day today! I had a lot of fun. And I learned a lot about what I've been doing wrong, and some other neat tips. I'm definitely going to take another class and be back. I'm just mad I've never done this before now. Thanks again Coach!

I'll be back even if Rhino will be there too :D

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Had a blast today, learned a lot, as I usually do from Coach, Rhino and the A.C.T. crew.

One thing I do know, there is always more to learn.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It was a great day today! I had a lot of fun. And I learned a lot about what I've been doing wrong, and some other neat tips. I'm definitely going to take another class and be back. I'm just mad I've never done this before now. Thanks again Coach!

I'll be back even if Rhino will be there too :D

I'm glad you enjoyed the class. I know you were anxious going in and I am glad those nerves were relieved. I know what you mean about the Rhino.:D

JT thanks for the camera work. Looking forward to the video efforts.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Thanks to Coach and Rhino for a very good class. I appreciate the pointers as I can work on many of them from my home. I could have passed on the "Ginger" comments :laugh: and the sunburn :xmad: but it was worth it!

I will be looking to try out your Instructional League class (after June) in the near future.

Finally thanks to Mr. Australia for getting the old heart pumping!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks to Coach and Rhino for a very good class. I appreciate the pointers as I can work on many of them from my home. I could have passed on the "Ginger" comments :laugh: and the sunburn :xmad: but it was worth it!

I will be looking to try out your Instructional League class (after June) in the near future.

Glad you enjoyed it and got something out of it. Rhino can beat a dead horse like no other. :)

Love to have you at the League and shooting matches. You will enjoy it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    heh, the ginger thing started between me and Rhino... he just realized he was surrounded later in the class.

GINGERS UNITE!

mn_southpark450x339.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I saw some really good marksmanship today. I saw some good progress made in other areas, including confidence!

I shot some of the drills with the class, but I had "one of those days." I learned a few things, both from that experience as well as by watching the students (I usually learn quite a bit from watching students!).

I also admitted in front of the entire class that I had concluded that Coach's method of transferring the gun between hands is better and equally as safe as the method I previously advocated. I knew his was good, but I believed what I was teaching was a little less fumble prone, but now I will admit I was wrong.

Yeah, I probably should have noticed that OVER HALF OF THE CLASS WERE GINGERS before I started I started teasing Hickman about being a ginger. Well, and then when I did realize it, probably should have shut up. But, well, everyone knows I lack the ability to shut up.

A claim was made that I was just jealous. That could be true. My inborn ability to tan well really isn't that impressive.

Last edited:

nowuckers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Found this website after hearing it mentioned on the course by several people! First thanks to Coach and Joe for the class, it's my first time using a holster rig and although I've handled pistols before, it's been very educational. I'm still absorbing many of the points I've learned, and I plan to do more of these type of courses. Although I've qualified on many infantry weapons in my previous life, I've never had much training on handguns, and the ones I've had concentrated more on range target practice rather than drawing, fire and movement. If there is one thing I can suggest, perhaps a little more time spent on drills in holstering with a loaded gun would have been really good (for me anyway, see below!). But that's just me, maybe you already do that in your BP class, and so I'm assuming that since it's an IP class that most of the students there already have had some holster training.

So I hope to do your other classes, the DP back-to-back is sounding really good to me!

Finally:

That's me! Sorry again to everyone in the course for almost messing up the day. I spent the rest of the weekend beating myself up for such a stupid moronic mistake. Rest assured that if you come across me again in one of the ACT classes, it won't be happening again! Coach and Joe, hope you can still let me into one of your classes!

For those of you who weren't there, this is the answer to the equation
    dufus with no drawing experience + loaded gun + holster =

Happened early in the day in holstering after drill shooting doubles. It's miraculous, the 9mm slug went through the Bladetech holster, into my trousers, through the pocket, inside the trouser leg and out near the knee area. No damage to holster or leg, not even a bruise. Felt like an amoeba afterwards that God chose to spare! One of the best lessons I learned that day: after shots, pause, take a breath, think about holstering, then holster. No prizes ever for fast re-holstering!

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Don't feel so bad! You learned from it. That's all that matters. Just think of it this way, you have an AWESOME pair of pants. I even learned from it, after checking my pants to make sure I didn't wet myself :laugh:

I had fun shooting with you. It was a good day.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's me! Sorry again to everyone in the course for almost messing up the day. I spent the rest of the weekend beating myself up for such a stupid moronic mistake. Rest assured that if you come across me again in one of the ACT classes, it won't be happening again! Coach and Joe, hope you can still let me into one of your classes!

On the downside, we know you violated rule #3 and had your finger on the trigger when it should not have been there. I don't think there is anything anyone can say that can add much to your experience in terms of understanding why dilligently adhering to the four basic rules is so vitally important.

On the bright side, no one was injured. This also illustrates the genius of the four basic rules. Violating any of them is unacceptable, but we all know it happens. It usually takes violating two of the rules at the same time to end in disaster. Keeping the muzzle pointed in the safest possible direction and keeping your finger away from the trigger until you're ready to shoot are always going to be in your mind from now on.

It also reminds us that we need to absorb those rules to the point that we adhere to them subconsciously as well as maintaining awareness of them. That seems redundant, but when you're under stress for some reason (like learning new skills or worse, if your life is a being threatened), you may not have the resources to actively think about it. There is a sign at the Boone Co. sheriff's range that says to make the rules part of your character. That's a good way to think about it.

And of course, there will never be an award for speed reholstering. Whether you're in a training situation, a competition, or you just saved your own life, it's a really good idea to take a deep breath and exhale before reholstering. It can help. Naturally that comes after your final scan for threats. The deep breath and pause that goes with it can help you shift gears mentally and enable to you reholster calmly and deliberately.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom