ACT Intro. Defensive Pistol & Rifle Classes - 21,22 March 2009 - Terre Haute, IN

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Brandan . . . the 500 rounds for the rifle is a "generous" estimate. I don't foresee firing more than 300 rounds or so, but if the class progresses more quickly than I anticipate, then it could be more. I always like to bring "enough" when I go to classes just in case, so that's how much I would bring to this rifle class.

I am sympathetic to the high price of ammunition (it affects me too), especially 5.56x45mm right now, so we won't be doing any "hosing." Every round we fire will have some kind of educational merit.

Obijohn will have a round count for the pistol. As far magazines go, I think he's going to require at least three.

The bottom line is, if you bring just three magazines, you will be frustrated because you're going to have to jamming rounds into them over and over when everyone else is still shooting and learning. The more magazines you can bring and have loaded, the less time you will to spend loading them, especially when your relay is on the line.

Again, I am sensitive to the costs of magazines, but for a defensive gun, two is not enough to own anyway in my opinion, even for daily carry.

If an adequate number of magazines is impossible for you for some reason, you can you send email to us and tell us what guns (make/model/caliber) you will be bringing, we might be able to find magazines for you to borrow.

Brandan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    West Side
    Brandan . . . the 500 rounds for the rifle is a "generous" estimate. I don't foresee firing more than 300 rounds or so, but if the class progresses more quickly than I anticipate, then it could be more. I always like to bring "enough" when I go to classes just in case, so that's how much I would bring to this rifle class.

I am sympathetic to the high price of ammunition (it affects me too), especially 5.56x45mm right now, so we won't be doing any "hosing." Every round we fire will have some kind of educational merit.

Obijohn will have a round count for the pistol. As far magazines go, I think he's going to require at least three.

The bottom line is, if you bring just three magazines, you will be frustrated because you're going to have to jamming rounds into them over and over when everyone else is still shooting and learning. The more magazines you can bring and have loaded, the less time you will to spend loading them, especially when your relay is on the line.

Again, I am sensitive to the costs of magazines, but for a defensive gun, two is not enough to own anyway in my opinion, even for daily carry.

If an adequate number of magazines is impossible for you for some reason, you can you send email to us and tell us what guns (make/model/caliber) you will be bringing, we might be able to find magazines for you to borrow.

Finding magazines should not be a problem if I do end up attending. I am have been looking to purchase more, I have just not personally made the spare cash available to spend. This would not be an overbearing purchase if needed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Finding magazines should not be a problem if I do end up attending. I am have been looking to purchase more, I have just not personally made the spare cash available to spend. This would not be an overbearing purchase if needed.

That is good to hear, sir.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Is the 500 round count go for the pistol class as well? I have 2 magazines also, would this be sufficient?

My equipment list for the defensive pistol class states 400-500 rounds. Like rhino, i would much prefer to take some ammo home than have to scrounge or worse, have to sit out of some exercises. We are all feeling the crunch of the economy and the rising cost of ammunition. Typically, this class goes around 350 rounds and we try not to waste any. If the class as a whole is moving along well, there are some drills from the 201 class that we shoot. And sometimes we're just having to much fun to quit shooting. hehe.

As far as magazines go, more is better. 3 at least, 5 is better. if you are shooting a single stack 45 or a subcompact, some extended length magazines or more than 5 standard capacity mags are indicated. When I attend a class at this level with single stack, i take at least 10 mags, but that's me. i don't want to waste a bunch of time loading mags. That doesn't mean i wouldn't go if i only had 2 or 3 or 4 mags, i would.

If you have any specific concerns, pm me and we'll work it out.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Do you recommend bringing, or, would one benefit the rifle class if 2 different rifles were brought? I was thinking a scout squad and the XCR, is one preferred?

This is only a one day class, so I think it would be best to concentrate on just one. You can transfer the skills you learn to the other later.

It's good to have a back-up with you in case your primary has problems, though! I always bring at least a second gun with me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Each backup must have a . . . backup!

I should have been more clear (sorry). I meant that when I am a student in a class, I always try to bring a backup to whatever gun I am using for the class.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Could I arrange to borrow a good holster for a G19, for the Defensive 101 class? Anyone have one I could borrow. I am buying a bit of gear, but I hate to buy a holster without trying out it first.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Could I arrange to borrow a good holster for a G19, for the Defensive 101 class? Anyone have one I could borrow. I am buying a bit of gear, but I hate to buy a holster without trying out it first.

i can hook you up, eric. i bring a box of spare gear. anything else you need?

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I am trying to buy stuff that I will need anyways, but I am not for sure of a good holster. So I appreciated you offer; I am hoping to get your imput at the class of what works well n not. I'd really like to 'test drive' before I buy!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Any dates for May? Looking for a rifle class.

31 May 2009 is a possible date. We have not yet confirmed and planned for it, but it's the next possible date we'll offer a defensive rifle class. I also don't know if it will be another intro class, or will be continuation of what we do this month . . . or both!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    21-22 March is rapidly approaching! If anyone is still interested, you have time to ask questions and register. Please contact one of us directly at:

joseph@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com
    john@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com

For those who want to know more about the rifle class, here are some of the topics I plan to cover on Sunday 22MAR09. One day is not enough to make anyone a tactical superman, but hopefully we can get a good foundation built for continuing to a next course, whether it's with us or someone else. How much we accomplish and the specific drills will depend on how the class goes and how quickly the students progress through the fundamentals.
    • Basic safety and our range safety rules
    • Attitude
    • Eliminating the threat; mechanics and target areas
    • Basic features and controls of the AR and how to manipulate them; for those who bring AKs or other weapons, we'll address those too. If you bring something "exotic," you will need to know how to operate it
    • Rifle configuration and accessories
    • Gunhandling basics including loading, chamber checks, reloads
    • Basic shooting positions and presentations of the weapon and how they differ from conventional rifle marksmanship methods
    • Use of the sling (note we will not be using slings for support as you might in Appleseed or other pure marksmanship programs)
    • Common malfunctions and how to fix those that can be fixed quickly without tools
    • Fundamentals of marksmanship
    • Zeroing
    • Enaging single and multiple targets, including the unique aspects of using an AR or similar rifle at close ranges (i.e. under 10-12 yards), middle, and longer ranges
    • Scanning for threats and avoiding just going through the motions!
    • Simple movement to remove yourself from the line of force
    That may seem like a lot for one day and it is. We'll get through as much as we can depending on the pace set by the class and their collective ability level as demonstrated by the drills and exercises. If some of the topics above are already well understood by the students, we can always add more!

IMPORTANT:

We'll save a lot of time with zeroing if you bring your rifle zeroed at 50 yards. For ARs, that is about the same at 1-1/8 inches low at 25 yards. So please zero at least your primary sighting system before class if you can. If you use an optic and you can, zero both the irons and scope. We'll confirm zeroes at either 25 or 50 yards (or both) and if everyone is good, we can move onward.

IF YOU ARE ALREADY ZEROED AT A DIFFERENT DISTANCE AND WANT TO KEEP IT THAT WAY, I will not ask you to change it unless you wish to do so. You may have to accommodate for a different point of impact than the rest of the class, but we can deal with that on a case by case basis. For instance if you are zeroed at 100 yards and know where you hit at contact distance, 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards, you're good to go in that regard.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom