• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pillsbury1983

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    They are making another stock for the SCAR now, with an adjustable butt stock as well as adjustable cheek weld. I have a picture off their web site, have it as the background on my computer.

FNH USA

Ok, actually slightly different SCAR, as I had not seen this one before, but since you can swap most the parts on them, might be able to with this one. hmmm, looks like I'll be calling FN when I get a couple bucks.

That appears to be a product on the Mil/LE side of the house, I wouldn't get your hopes to high thinking it will be available for civilian sales.

I'm also an ACR owner with no complaints about the firearm, the lack of support by Bushmaster is another matter. I've considered selling the ACR to fund an MR556.

Last edited:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    That appears to be a product on the Mil/LE side of the house, I wouldn't get your hopes to high thinking it will be available for civilian sales.

I'm also an ACR owner with no complaints about the firearm, the lack of support by Bushmaster is another matter. I've considered selling the ACR to fund an MR556.

Yep, I had noticed it was the Military/LEO only, however, I doubt the butt stock is limited, just the rifle. Granted, Im sure its just a phone call away to ask and never hurts to just ask. Or email, either way. I will try to work on that today after I get my running around done.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Yep, I had noticed it was the Military/LEO only, however, I doubt the butt stock is limited, just the rifle. Granted, Im sure its just a phone call away to ask and never hurts to just ask. Or email, either way. I will try to work on that today after I get my running around done.

I'd love to see it. I have a 17 that I'd love to put it on.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Am i correct in thinking the SCAR 16 uses standard AR15/m16 mags?

Yes, the SCAR 16 uses standard AR mags. Infact the one it ships with is a standard AR mag. Its been reported that Magpul P-mags dont work well in them and mine seems to not like them either. Magpul's E-mags work just fine though. I really dont know the the slight differences between the E-mag and the P-mag that make them work or not. But I think it has to do with the follower. With mine the P-mags would not lock the slide back on the last round but the E-mags work just fine. All Standard AR mags Ive tried work just fine too. Its just P-mags that seem to fail in my SCAR.

advan031

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    SoCal
    Yes, the SCAR 16 uses standard AR mags. Infact the one it ships with is a standard AR mag. Its been reported that Magpul P-mags dont work well in them and mine seems to not like them either. Magpul's E-mags work just fine though. I really dont know the the slight differences between the E-mag and the P-mag that make them work or not. But I think it has to do with the follower. With mine the P-mags would not lock the slide back on the last round but the E-mags work just fine. All Standard AR mags Ive tried work just fine too. Its just P-mags that seem to fail in my SCAR.

The issue with P-Mags is the groove at the top/rear is too shallow which causes it to push the bolt release up. It only takes about 20 seconds of dremeling to fix it.

Check all your mags, especially PMAGS, but check all mags!!

I love my 16s and I'm pretty sure I'll love my 17s as well :ar15:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

Hmm, maybe I have been lucky on mine. I have the 5 of the 20 rounds and 5 of the 30 round P-mags, and have not had a problem with either. Maybe I just got lucky with mine. I do use the standard AR mags from the military as well. Have not had any jams with any of the mags or the ammo that I have used. Maybe just haven't been able to run it hard enough. Then again, I have read in multiple articles about the Army already taking them overseas. Have not been able to find any of the AARs for them (After Action Reports). Although I know the testing the military did worked out great for them.
    75th Rangers will take SCAR to war - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times

Operators Test New Commando Rifle

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The issue with P-Mags is the groove at the top/rear is too shallow which causes it to push the bolt release up. It only takes about 20 seconds of dremeling to fix it.

Check all your mags, especially PMAGS, but check all mags!!

I love my 16s and I'm pretty sure I'll love my 17s as well :ar15:

Thanks for the tip, Ill try that.

Hmm, maybe I have been lucky on mine. I have the 5 of the 20 rounds and 5 of the 30 round P-mags, and have not had a problem with either. Maybe I just got lucky with mine. I do use the standard AR mags from the military as well. Have not had any jams with any of the mags or the ammo that I have used. Maybe just haven't been able to run it hard enough. Then again, I have read in multiple articles about the Army already taking them overseas. Have not been able to find any of the AARs for them (After Action Reports). Although I know the testing the military did worked out great for them.
    75th Rangers will take SCAR to war - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times

Operators Test New Commando Rifle

:dunno: mine doesnt like them. My P-mags run great in My Ruger SR-556. I may just keep the P-mags for the Ruger and the E-mags for the SCAR. even after doing the mod posted above.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks for the tip, Ill try that.

:dunno: mine doesnt like them. My P-mags run great in My Ruger SR-556. I may just keep the P-mags for the Ruger and the E-mags for the SCAR. even after doing the mod posted above.

Cool beans. I know some rifles will eat any ammo and some of the same make and model will be finicky. I have 60 some mags, so its taken me awhile to rotate through them the first time. Might have to bring the other mags to the range this weekend just in case now.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Come to think of it Ive never had any feed problems using the P-mags. They just dont lock the bolt back on the last round.

Idk I need to get it out again and run some rounds through it. Ive been on a pistol kick as of late, I think its time to break out the rifles again.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Come to think of it Ive never had any feed problems using the P-mags. They just dont lock the bolt back on the last round.

Idk I need to get it out again and run some rounds through it. Ive been on a pistol kick as of late, I think its time to break out the rifles again.

Well, Im usually on a rifle kick, just need to find cheaper Rifles. I have been wanting to get this rifle, as its the .22LR version of the SCAR
    ISSC MK22 .22 LR, FN SCAR-alike, Now in Desert Tan - Gun News at Guns.com

I have seen one at the Blythe's up here in NWI, just need to get the money together so I can start shooting a little cheaper.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

advan031

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    SoCal

Just run some USGI spec mags, they'll run perfectly. Original SCAR mags are actually manufactured by D&H for them.

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    Yes you definitly need to modify the pmags, if you don't they will engage the bolt catch and damage the lugs on the bolt( good luck trying to get a new one from FN) if you have been running unmodified pmags you better check the lugs, it would be a very bad day if thaw bolt fails to lock. I have the 16 love the gun shoots great little recoil. I have never tried the act, but really what IS the difference, besides looks and the reciprocating bolt handle. As for customer service with either company good luck. I was going to buy a 17, then i remembered the lack of help FN customer service has been, so i got an LWRC REPR instead and could not be happier. I had one question about the REPR not even a problem called LWRC the rep answered my question then proceeded to talk to me for another 45 min just to make sure i knew about all the features the gun had, awesome customer services.

Top Bottom