• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    I unloaded my firearm, checked it clear, removed the firing pin and spring, and then tried to figure out how it would be possible to do anything with the weapon that involved reloading it while having a hand in a position that could get hit by a bullet leaving the muzzle while reloading...

I can't seem to figure it out... I would need 3 hands - was his friend helping him reload while they were walking, or is there more to this story?

It may have happened while he was holstering up after reloading. Lots of inexperienced shooters or people who use those floppy holsters wind up using two hands to wriggle the gun into the holster, in spite of the fact that this is practically impossible to do without muzzling your support hand.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    It may have happened while he was holstering up after reloading. Lots of inexperienced shooters or people who use those floppy holsters wind up using two hands to wriggle the gun into the holster, in spite of the fact that this is practically impossible to do without muzzling your support hand.
    I could see it while re-holstering, but not while reloading.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I could see it while re-holstering, but not while reloading.

Keep in mind that many of those less than optimally trained will ride the slide into battery with their hand on the slide instead of racking the slide to the shoulder and letting loose of the slide properly and letting weapon go into battery smartly.

Imagine this (in your head, DO NOT DO THIS):

1. insert magazine into 1911

2. rack slide by grasping onto the front of the slide

3. ride slide forward and when weapon goes into batter your pinky finger slids off slide and goes in front of barrel when weapon slam fires.

DO NOT DO THAT, JUST IMAGINE IT.

danil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Mishawaka
    Lack of training, lack of familiarity, lack of "good habits" and perhaps(common sense). With all due respect to all of the well trained gun owners here at the community-- I have been in several situations where an owner did not properly handle his weapon in a manner consistent with either any training or common sense. With our rights are great responsibilities; in this case, there is significant responsibility that often goes un-exercised with the right bear arms. There is a segment of the population of gun owners that have little training and little practice as well. I was one of those guys that thought I was a "safe" owner before taking a class. I learned how "poor" my handling really was and recognize there is a "maintenance factor" to what I have learned as well. I would support some sort of safety training as a requirement for firearm ownership.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Keep in mind that many of those less than optimally trained will ride the slide into battery with their hand on the slide instead of racking the slide to the shoulder and letting loose of the slide properly and letting weapon go into battery smartly.

Imagine this (in your head, DO NOT DO THIS):

1. insert magazine into 1911

2. rack slide by grasping onto the front of the slide

3. ride slide forward and when weapon goes into batter your pinky finger slids off slide and goes in front of barrel when weapon slam fires.

DO NOT DO THAT, JUST IMAGINE IT.
    Anytime I do anything with a real firearm that doesn't involve intentional shooting I remove the firing pin and make sure the weapon is cleared... If it slam fires without a firing pin - I've got bigger problems.

That being said you're saying that the weapon could slam fire at any time, and riding the slide home only potentially puts your hand in the way, correct?

My understanding is that in a series 70 1911 that there is no firing pin block (i.e. if dropped hard enough, or hit hard enough it could fire without the trigger being pulled).

That being said, I do understand any safety system such as a firing pin block should not be relied upon and can fail.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That being said you're saying that the weapon could slam fire at any time, and riding the slide home only potentially puts your hand in the way, correct?

Yes, any platform can discharge upon loading or unloading, especially those with interia firing pins like . . . 1911s. The problem is that many gun owners, even INGOers do not believe this and will fight me on this (just read previous threads where I have been called every name under the sun, even ones ex-girlfriends forgot to call me:D), and as a result we get people with fingers removed as "Eye been around gunz all MEYE lie-eff, Cledus."

Yes, riding the slide can: put the weapon out of battery and give you a new nickname as I witnessed Saturday (I just saw him go into the blood box, not the shooting).

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yeah, I have extra firing pin springs - it's the only thing keeping the pin from hitting the primer when the slide cycles... Part of routine maintenance.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom