Academy Sports & Outdoors coming to Westfield?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Rebuilding of the old Marsh store and renovation of the parking lot is in progress. Don't know the intended opening date but from what the locals have been saying, the parking lot rebuild is scheduled to be completed late April. Would hope for store opening around the same time.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Thats awesome! I haven't been in a Academy in years. I seem to think they sell reloading stuff?
    They do…but they don’t, the reloading section here in Evansville is a 6 foot set of shelves, that’s all, last time I saw primers on the shelf (actually in a glass case) they were 7.50 a sleeve and they had maybe 6 or 7 hundred (srp) and not a huge selection of components, only the most popular caliber dies.

Quite honestly the lgs with the smallest inventory of reloading supplies has more than academy does!

yotehunt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 2, 2021
    Not Iraq
    Oh man. Bummer. That is kind of what I remembered too. Have ordered online with them though.

Not sure who sells reloading stuff locally though?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Oh man. Bummer. That is kind of what I remembered too. Have ordered online with them though.

Not sure who sells reloading stuff locally though?
    Plainfield shooting supply.
    Lots of projectiles, dies, cleaning accessories and last time I was there they had some powder. My guess is they have more stuff now than they did when I was last there.

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel
    According to a local guy on Nextdoor (https://nextdoor.com/p/m2wZBxbxFkkC?utm_source=share&extras=NDc2Njk4OQ==) they are soliciting bids to to occupy an old Marsh location in Westfield. This would be easy access from US 31 and I for one would welcome some competition in the area.
    Westfield Building Commissioner Tyler Wertenberger told IBJ that a building permit has been issued for Academy Sports + Outdoors https://www.ibj.com/articles/academ...tore-at-former-marsh-supermarket-in-westfield

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    The local Academy in the state I lived in previously always had a ton of Monarch (rebranded Barnaul) 5.45x39 ammo. We may miss the boat, quite literally speaking, with the timing of this opening and the Russian ammo ban. Fingers crossed.

Either way, it will be fun to have a new 2A-friendly sporting goods store nearby.

MrGiggles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    Carmel
    Bumping this old thread to say the whole front of the store has been stripped down to steel beams, along with much of the interior. It was pretty shocking to drive by lol they completely tore down the Marsh dual-entrance. Looks like quite a ways to go, I wouldn't expect it to be done any time soon. Still, great location, will be nice to have around.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Bumping this old thread to say the whole front of the store has been stripped down to steel beams, along with much of the interior. It was pretty shocking to drive by lol they completely tore down the Marsh dual-entrance. Looks like quite a ways to go, I wouldn't expect it to be done any time soon. Still, great location, will be nice to have around.
    The Current said renovation would take 8 months

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Another one is coming to the area as well. Avon is getting one too.

Edit to add. I hear it’s going to be in the same shopping center as the Ashley Furniture.
    Had not heard this. Any reference material on this?

This would be great as pretty much have to drive to Bargersville for Honey Creek Tackle, or TH for academy or order online.

Sportsman Warehouse coming to Brownsburg, so between that and an Academy in Avon, life would be good.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Had not heard this. Any reference material on this?

This would be great as pretty much have to drive to Bargersville for Honey Creek Tackle, or TH for academy or order online.

Sportsman Warehouse coming to Brownsburg, so between that and an Academy in Avon, life would be good.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I like having true sporting goods stores that will have guns and ammo coming to my area, but I worry if it’ll hurt the 4-5 gun shops in the same area. It’s a tough world for the small businessman/businesswoman/ businessperson and would hate to lose them to the big chain stores.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like having true sporting goods stores that will have guns and ammo coming to my area, but I worry if it’ll hurt the 4-5 gun shops in the same area. It’s a tough world for the small businessman/businesswoman/ businessperson and would hate to lose them to the big chain stores.
    I've never been to an Academy store before, but if they're anything like Sportsman's Warehouse in Greenwood, they wouldn't get my business anyhow. They're (Sportsman's) mighty proud of their inventory. $$$$$$

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've never been to an Academy store before, but if they're anything like Sportsman's Warehouse in Greenwood, they wouldn't get my business anyhow. They're (Sportsman's) mighty proud of their inventory. $$$$$$
    I’ve been to them in KY and Florida, I think, it’s been a while. I usually only bought ammo on sale or odds n ends the LGS didn’t have. I did buy a CZ rifle from Dick’s in Avon once on sale.
    Seems as if the Indy area will have quite a few of the box box stores to choose from.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd think most of the gun stores in the area have something to differentiate themselves from the big box. Parabellum has the range, Premier Arms has quite a bit of used guns come through, PSS generally has pretty decent inventory and reloading supplies (been a minute since I've been in there though due to their hours), I think Copper Head Ridge offers some cerakote, etc services.

For me it will be a welcome addition to the area to have a couple of sporting goods stores with some decent fishing inventory, etc. DSG is horrible and has left behind any semblance of anything outdoors related IMO.

Top Bottom