Abstract question with astrological/religious implications?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So let me start by saying that I had a minor outpatient surgery this morning and am under the influence of pain meds so this may be too bizarre but...

Just started watching this video on youtube LINK and the first topic is "The Big Ring" which is bringing into question some long held astrological beliefs. Anyhow, that got me thinking about the big bang and what was supposed to have existed before then, meaning what exactly blew up?

I've also watched some interviews of some extremely intelligent people who seem to be in agreement that we are not living in base reality, we are living in a simulation. Now there may be other possibilities for what precisely constitutes a simulation but I think most would go to a computer simulation as a base for understanding what the term means.

Ok, here's the possibly cooky part. If you were an electron, or perhaps an atom positioned in such a way to observe the initial bootup/flow of electrons of a computer program, what would that look like? Might that look like a big bang from the proper perspective?

Far out dude........:cool:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So let me start by saying that I had a minor outpatient surgery this morning and am under the influence of pain meds so this may be too bizarre but...

Just started watching this video on youtube LINK and the first topic is "The Big Ring" which is bringing into question some long held astrological beliefs. Anyhow, that got me thinking about the big bang and what was supposed to have existed before then, meaning what exactly blew up?

I've also watched some interviews of some extremely intelligent people who seem to be in agreement that we are not living in base reality, we are living in a simulation. Now there may be other possibilities for what precisely constitutes a simulation but I think most would go to a computer simulation as a base for understanding what the term means.

Ok, here's the possibly cooky part. If you were an electron, or perhaps an atom positioned in such a way to observe the initial bootup/flow of electrons of a computer program, what would that look like? Might that look like a big bang from the proper perspective?

Okay this is too weird. I am actually watching "The Big Bang Theory" right now.

mind-blown-icegif-1.gif

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Kind of a "turtles all the way down" problem with that line of thinking.

If we're in a universe simulation, presumably the computer running it exists in a physical universe, which must have started at some point in time, which is impossible because something, even nothingness, had to exist for some time before that...

As for the top level question, I suppose it's resolved by the mere fact that, in order for anything to exist, it must necessarily have a beginning.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Now tell me how you percieve time at all. :)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Now tell me how you percieve time at all. :)
    I only claim a very limited understanding of time.

Well, to be honest, not just time but most anything. I think humans have stumbled into some pretty amazing technological breakthroughs but I have always had a feeling that we don't know half of what we think, or at least what we have been convinced that we (humans) know. Just the James Webb telescope is crushing long held beliefs about a lot of different things. They're finding things on a semi regular basis which defy the laws of physics as we understand them, which is a nice way of saying we've been wrong.

I think there are aspects of different religions, scientific disciplines and spiritual leaders/teachers which get a lot right but I don't think we truly understand as much as we believe we do and I don't think any human on this earth truly understands. We're living off of assumptions we simply haven't yet found the evidence to destroy.

That said, I mean no malice in what I've said. It's just the way it is and I believe it is this way for a reason. I hope that we get to understand when our time here is done.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I only claim a very limited understanding of time.

Well, to be honest, not just time but most anything. I think humans have stumbled into some pretty amazing technological breakthroughs but I have always had a feeling that we don't know half of what we think, or at least what we have been convinced that we (humans) know. Just the James Webb telescope is crushing long held beliefs about a lot of different things. They're finding things on a semi regular basis which defy the laws of physics as we understand them, which is a nice way of saying we've been wrong.

I think there are aspects of different religions, scientific disciplines and spiritual leaders/teachers which get a lot right but I don't think we truly understand as much as we believe we do and I don't think any human on this earth truly understands. We're living off of assumptions we simply haven't yet found the evidence to destroy.

That said, I mean no malice in what I've said. It's just the way it is and I believe it is this way for a reason. I hope that we get to understand when our time here is done.
    Sidebar. What the hell kind of painkillers did they give you?? :):

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The smartest way it was ever dumbed down enough for me to understand is it was nothing, and it's still nothing. Just something until it all meets back up and then it's nothing again. The analogy is you start with 0 dollars, which is nothing. You borrow $100. You now have $100 and you have -$100 because of the debt. If the dollars ever meet the debt again, you're back to 0 (nothing), but your nothing is now things until then. So each bit of charge has an opposite charge, a negative for a positive, a counter-spin for a spin, etc.

I still don't understand it, and I think it's mostly a math model for those who are closest to it. Just one of those things I don't know the human mind has the capacity or capability to comprehend in it's totality.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The smartest way it was ever dumbed down enough for me to understand is it was nothing, and it's still nothing. Just something until it all meets back up and then it's nothing again. The analogy is you start with 0 dollars, which is nothing. You borrow $100. You know have $100 and you have -$100 because of the debt. If the dollars ever meet the debt again, you're back to 0 (nothing), but your nothing is now things until then. So each bit of charge has an opposite charge, a negative for a positive, a counter-spin for a spin, etc.

I still don't understand it, and I think it's mostly a math model for those who are closest to it. Just one of those things I don't know the human mind has the capacity or capability to comprehend in it's totality.
    giphy.gif

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Sidebar. What the hell kind of painkillers did they give you?? :):
    Just 5mg Hydro's. They honestly don't do much for me, my tolerance is high but if you try to tell anyone that you're flagged as a heroine addict so I just get what they give me and deal with it. Been in the position many times over the past 10 years unfortunately. Used to supplement with bourbon but had my last back in October.

I never spent much time thinking about this stuff before I took a little trip to Mexico for some non traditional mental health treatments which blew the doors, windows and siding off. I've spent thousands of hours going deep down many a rabbit hole while trying to maintain a very broad overall view of the different topics. Absolutely fascinating and I only wish I'd have had that same experience at much younger age.

Top Bottom