• KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Silly Jedi. You are no longer allowed to miss a M&S. :):

My day was cut short due to a migraine. :(

I arrived about 8 CDT and had a good time until the headache came on full strength. I counted just under 40 people in attendance. Something like 36-38. It was hard to tell, since some people were on the other lines.

Thanks to TurnandShoot for running the pistol competition. It was fun, and very challenging. UziButton was the winner, managing to hit the plate once with the fastest time. He chose two stickers as his prize.

People brought WAY too many chips and buns this month. I have 48 hot dog and 16 hamburger buns in the freezer now. We also have 6 full size bags of chips plus approximately 80 of the single serving size bags. We won't be needing chips for a while.

On the plywood front, we donated three sheets today at a cost of $50.

We had donations of $20 each from mrobnoxious1, Lonehoosier and ironSY395 for a total of $60.

I will post the few pictures I took at a later time after I have a chance to upload and edit them.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    *cough* I heard you did such a ggggoooooodddd job that you were going to be nominated for the SEP Meet & Shoot. :p
    Wow 3 plywoods is $50! :xmad:

BTW I hear that the community fund has a new gun that mrobnoxious1,left behind.
    :facepalm: make sure ya paint in PINK! :woot:

ironSY395

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Valpo
    found a tic on my gun bag so check your stuff before bringing it around kids or pets. more about the awesomeness later

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    *Tick

I got the M1A to shooting the little paste cover circles of a ShootNC target, I really need to take that out some real distance.

The Benelli M3 chewed on the plywood just a little.

.44 Specials are fun out of the Super Redhawk

I want a lever gun, actually I want a lot of guns

Turnandshoot and I both wore homo shoes(T_star's term).

Got from Winamac back to Snob John in under an hour :cool:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Safety

I feel that there is something that must be addressed. :soapbox:

In terms of safe gun handling and range rules I think this was the worst Meet and Shoot that I have attended. :facepalm: First off and least important (I say least important because I was not one of the people going forward of the firing line when the range is hot, so I was in no danger myself), I noticed several times individuals were going forward of the firing line while the range was hot, this is not in any way a safe practice. If you have to get something, no one minds asking for the range to go cold, but under no circumstance should anyone for any reason move forward of the firing line when the range is hot.

Now on to the most important infraction that I saw of the day. There was a rude little child who seemed to have no adult supervision, who asked to shoot several of my guns. As I saw no adult with him and handing an unsupervised child a gun seems pretty irresponsible to me, I told him NO. After that, when I was talking to Ghost, this child went to several other adults and asked to shoot my guns (and lets all thank whatever higher power you believe in, that the child didn't just decide to pick one of the guns up :bat: . I don't know if he thought I was kidding, or if he just didn't care, but if this ever happens again, I'm thinking a ban from further attendance of Meet and Shoot events would be in order.

This same child also was seen by several adults sweeping many of us in attendance :ugh: We can't let this kind of thing continue. It is up to all of us to make sure the safety rules are followed at all times by everyone, especially children. As such, I think it would be a very good idea :thumbsup: in future events for children to not be allowed to go further than 5 yards from there parents or guardian. And if a child wants to shoot something, the parent/guardian should be the one to ask if the child can make use of another's firearm. The parent/guardian should be the one responsible for supervising the child not the closest person to the child. Children should not be allowed to wander around a gun range unsupervised. :whip:

I shall let the other INGO Members that found fault with other things this child was doing speak there minds if they would like, as I had no further interaction with this child.

What say you NWI INGO do we let this kind of BS continue at our Meet and Shoots or do we nip it right here and now? :ingo:

BTW Lonehoosier, your child was an absolute pleasure to shoot with. I can't tell you enough about how well behaved and well mannered he was. I was very impressed by your sons highest caliber of safety. Whatever you are doing as a parent, keep it up, you are doing it right. It gives me hope for the future.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    *Tick

I got the M1A to shooting the little paste cover circles of a ShootNC target, I really need to take that out some real distance.

The Benelli M3 chewed on the plywood just a little.

.44 Specials are fun out of the Super Redhawk

I want a lever gun, actually I want a lot of guns

Turnandshoot and I both wore homo shoes(T_star's term).

Got from Winamac back to Snob John in under an hour :cool:

Those shoes ARE hideous.

armybrat1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Demotte
    I feel that there is something that must be addressed. :soapbox:

In terms of safe gun handling and range rules I think this was the worst Meet and Shoot that I have attended. :facepalm: First off and least important (I say least important because I was not one of the people going forward of the firing line when the range is hot, so I was in no danger myself), I noticed several times individuals were going forward of the firing line while the range was hot, this is not in any way a safe practice. If you have to get something, no one minds asking for the range to go cold, but under no circumstance should anyone for any reason move forward of the firing line when the range is hot.

Now on to the most important infraction that I saw of the day. There was a rude little child who seemed to have no adult supervision, who asked to shoot several of my guns. As I saw no adult with him and handing an unsupervised child a gun seems pretty irresponsible to me, I told him NO. After that, when I was talking to Ghost, this child went to several other adults and asked to shoot my guns (and lets all thank whatever higher power you believe in, that the child didn't just decide to pick one of the guns up :bat: . I don't know if he thought I was kidding, or if he just didn't care, but if this ever happens again, I'm thinking a ban from further attendance of Meet and Shoot events would be in order.

This same child also was seen by several adults sweeping many of us in attendance :ugh: We can't let this kind of thing continue. It is up to all of us to make sure the safety rules are followed at all times by everyone, especially children. As such, I think it would be a very good idea :thumbsup: in future events for children to not be allowed to go further than 5 yards from there parents or guardian. And if a child wants to shoot something, the parent/guardian should be the one to ask if the child can make use of another's firearm. The parent/guardian should be the one responsible for supervising the child not the closest person to the child. Children should not be allowed to wander around a gun range unsupervised. :whip:

I shall let the other INGO Members that found fault with other things this child was doing speak there minds if they would like, as I had no further interaction with this child.

What say you NWI INGO do we let this kind of BS continue at our Meet and Shoots or do we nip it right here and now? :ingo:

BTW Lonehoosier, your child was an absolute pleasure to shoot with. I can't tell you enough about how well behaved and well mannered he was. I was very impressed by your sons highest caliber of safety. Whatever you are doing as a parent, keep it up, you are doing it right. It gives me hope for the future.

While I have only been to a few meet and shoots, I have always enjoyed them. However, I have to agree with you SadClown. Firearm safety is first and foremost on the range. I enjoy assisting and teaching children while there, but parents and guardians MUST take FULL responsibility for children if they choose to take them on ADULT activities. For a child to ask to shoot one of my weapons is wonderful, however due to liability and the safety others, we MUST have the parents ask FOR them. We must also insist that the parents assist them in shooting ALL weapons. We all want to come and enjoy our time at the meet and shoots. For adults to expect us to provide guidance and supervision to their children is unheard of, and unsafe. Let's all be mindful of one another, and respectful. Children should be welcome, but let's respect the range time and safety of others. I also agree, LoneHoosier's boy, is a doll! Well mannered, and wonderful parents!

PopFizz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    I would agree on the safety aspect, I was swept once but as the boy was putting up the rifle in the bag he realized the muzzle was pointed towards me and instantly changed direction (I don't think it was the same child you are talking about though).

All in all though I had a great time today, but I was on the less crowded 50 yard range and it was a pleasure with all that were on the line from noon until about 3:00pm when I left for the day.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I would agree on the safety aspect, I was swept once but as the boy was putting up the rifle in the bag he realized the muzzle was pointed towards me and instantly changed direction (I don't think it was the same child you are talking about though).

All in all though I had a great time today, but I was on the less crowded 50 yard range and it was a pleasure with all that were on the line from noon until about 3:00pm when I left for the day.

Was it the kid in the pink shirt, if it was, that is the kid we are all talking about.

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    I had a nice first time out and met some of you. I will be to another before the year is over. As far as the kids go I will throw my .02 in and comment that some of the pistols the kids were firing were a bit too much for them. I had seen several times that the kids firing and the muzzle flip pointing the gun straight up in the air. Not too safe when another round is ready to go. What if the child accidentally his the trigger with it pointing anywhere but downrange? I wasn't the only one that noticed this either.

Now I am in no way against teaching kids how to shoot and strongly believe that they need it. However if a child is going to be firing a larger caliber than say a .22 only run a single round in it until they can prove that they have good control over the weapon. I do this very same thing with my son when he shoots my .40. It's just too much for him to handle more than a single shot at a time and after trying it he didn't really like it anyways.

PopFizz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Was it the kid in the pink shirt, if it was, that is the kid we are all talking about.

Nope, it was I think Jay's boy? Blue shirt, he had the ar15-22 rifle on the left side on the 25 yard line and their table was setup straight back from the far left bench. After he was done shooting it, he went to put in bag in the case and then realized he was pointing it at me while checking for brass in chamber. He saw what he was doing and then quickly pointed it down at the ground. I had no problem with that.

I did notice the kid in the pink shirt was wondering around quite a bit so I did go to the 50 yard line for no other reason than to get away from the crowd at the 25. I just wish I brought a mosin to go along with all the other guys at the 50 that were there when I left.

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    I too agree with the above posts. I personally don't mind instructing youngsters in learning to safely shoot. After all, more times than not, we all learned from adults or family members to do so. But on the other hand, children should also be taught to be respectful of others on the range. Today, I was asked by a young man to shoot one of my pistols. While I didn't mind, he came back later, asking to shoot it again and again, I obliged. When he later asked again, he was told no. That was a little much.

I agree with sadclown, this is something we should address as a group.

All in all, it was a great day at the range! Thanks to everyone who allowed me to try out their weapons and I hope you enjoyed shooting what we brought.

@theuzibutton, man you have some nice stuff!

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I too agree with the above posts. I personally don't mind instructing youngsters in learning to safely shoot. After all, more times than not, we all learned from adults or family members to do so. But on the other hand, children should also be taught to be respectful of others on the range. Today, I was asked by a young man to shoot one of my pistols. While I didn't mind, he came back later, asking to shoot it again and again, I obliged. When he later asked again, he was told no. That was a little much.

I agree with sadclown, this is something we should address as a group.

All in all, it was a great day at the range! Thanks to everyone who allowed me to try out their weapons and I hope you enjoyed shooting what we brought.

@theuzibutton, man you have some nice stuff!

I'm just saying a kid wandering around with no supervision should be put on a leash and tied to the parent or gaurdian. And I don't mean that figuratively. What really pisses me off though is this kid was told he could not shoot my guns, then started asking other adults if he could shoot my guns.

If I had ever done that, my dad would have beat my A**. And I would have deserved it.

Top Bottom