• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Your an interesting and colorful guy Aaron1776. That's what I got from your review and intro. I still find your past "training" that you rely on as gospel, interesting. Most people look to stay out of a gun fight but you seem anxious to get into one. Maybe I'm reading you wrong. Solely based that opinion on your 2 posts here that I read.
    Also maybe the people in your class just said they had no training for the sake of privacy or to keep an open mind or not to get a label put on them?

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Your an interesting and colorful guy Aaron1776. That's what I got from your review and intro. I still find your past "training" that you rely on as gospel, interesting. Most people look to stay out of a gun fight but you seem anxious to get into one. Maybe I'm reading you wrong. Solely based that opinion on your 2 posts here that I read.
    Also maybe the people in your class just said they had no training for the sake of privacy or to keep an open mind or not to get a label put on them?

Kinda hard to say I treat my past training as gospel when I openly admit that I changed several habits and procedures and am currently weighing others that I was taught. I just don't ditch what I know works and has worked for me thus far just because an instructor says that he believes this is the "right way" and gives his reasons why. Everyone has reasons why they do things, and everyone thinks they're right. The fact of the matter is that none of us are 100% right because everything in fighting is situationally dependent or based upon philosophy. If you went back to my original training you'd find that I've ditched a lot of it for things other people taught me that worked better for me, be they modes of carry, grip, tactics, draw stroke, etc.

Too many people think that having an "open mind" means "shut up and pretend to agree".....and the often that's what people who claim to have an "open mind" do when they're actually dismissing things immediately. I question and argue with everything that I take seriously. Assailing the logic behind a decision from all angles is the only way to figure out if that logic is actually true or based upon faulty assumptions/preceptions.

As for wanting to get into a gunfight......that's offensive. I've been legally justified to open fire on people before and didn't because I was able to posture my way out of it instead. I really can't help it if I've just had bad luck....but for every incident I listed in my first post there are a half dozen I've talked my way out of. Did you even read the review? I explicitly stated that my first action is to avoid a potential threat. The second is posture or talk my way out of it. The Third option is force.
    I also said in the very beginning of the 2nd post that the best outcome of employing your firearm is when the bad guys **** off and you get to go home without hurting anyone.

Perhaps you got this because I said compliance is not an option (again, unless it buys me a tactical advantage). It's not, and it shouldn't be for anyone as it will likely just lead to your death anyway....or the deaths of others. Wish I knew how many people in my ER had complied, only to be assaulted and left for dead after. If many police departments teach their police not to comply with a criminal.......why should I?
    That's not asking for a gunfight. That's having the cajones not to die on my knees.

Having experienced an ER for 4 years and the unarmed fights I've been in, I know that violence isn't something to rush into. I just know what my line in the sand is, and it's in line with the law, my conscience, and would be seen as reasonable by the large majority of the population.

Any enthusiasm read in these posts is due to the fact that I love to train. It's fun. That doesn't mean I want to kill someone, and it's pretty presumptious for you say that after reading these two posts.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong.

That would be the operative sentence in your post.

If it seems like I'm really jumping on you, it's because I take accusations like that extremely seriously, especially in a public forum, and I won't tolerate it. I have watched people die, including children. I know what the end result of violence is and want no part of it if I can avoid it...but I'm not going to be a coward and die on my knees or watch an innocent die afraid and alone either just because I don't want any part of it.

Don't make statements like that after admittedly only reading two of my posts......and obviously not very closely either.

Last edited:

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    ...for every incident I listed in my first post there are a half dozen I've talked my way out of.

I'm just curious as to how you seem to end up in these situations so frequently. Is it where you live? The people you hang with?

Firearms training is nice and all, but you might want to think about what puts you in these situations over and over and make a change or two in that arena. Just a thought.

Avoidance goes a long way.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm just curious as to how you seem to end up in these situations so frequently. Is it where you live? The people you hang with?

Firearms training is nice and all, but you might want to think about what puts you in these situations over and over and make a change or two in that arena. Just a thought.

Avoidance goes a long way.

Read my first post.

I went to a super ghetto high school filled with hood rats who liked to pick fights. (I remember there being a massive brawl between two rival gangs in our commons area. Plus several occassions where the beatings were so bad the victims ended up hospitalized) Once I got out of that school, I was no longer litteraly locked in the same building with them, and these kind of incidents plummetted.

It was walking the tight rope of not allowing myself to be bullied/abused but also avoiding fights.

They say the school is better now, but I think I know why. They started expelling anyone and everyone who remotely caused trouble. This helped cut down on in school problems....but I noticed also directly correlated with the timing of the sudden increase of mid-day crimes I kept hearing about.

Coincidence? I think not.

EDIT:
    As for the incidents after high school (the attempted mugging, etc)......I just don't know man. I know a lot of people who frequent the same places I do, and they've never seen a thing. Honestly my own experiences are what have convinced me that statistics are totally inapplicable to the individual. It's like I have a criminal magnet on or something.
    I don't hang around gangs or gangland. I'm polite to people. I don't flip people off in traffic when they cut me off, and I try to be the best Christian that I can be.
    My only explanation is a mixture of bad luck and my risk factors stated in my AAR.
    The biggest risk factor is where I live. The NW side of Indy just isn't as safe as it used to be.

Last edited:

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    I read the post. The part about picking fights is what I was wondering about. If that's still your MO then I suppose sooner or later the odds would catch up to you.

I'm guessing that stuff is from your earlier days and you've moved passed it, which is what I would hope to be the case, that's all.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I’ve personally never seen a 1911 go down, even after shooting thousands of rounds through them. Not in classes and not at the range. Aaron1776

SO......the internet is lying???:facepalm:

lol

The internet isn't lying per say. It's just making generalizations that aren't really accurate. haha
    So many 1911 owners either buy crappy, mass produced 1911s, or spend 3K on a wilson combat and then replace half the parts with no thought as to if those parts really belong on the gun. The closer the gun is to John Browning's specificaionts, the more reliable it is.
    1911s aren't plug n play. You have to know how to select one, maintain one, and then not dick with it. Which a lot of people don't.

I was fortunate enough to have a grandfather, an uncle, and a good friend show me what not to do, thus I've never had an issue with a 1911, and I never saw their's go down.

If you want more info on maintaining and properly selecting a 1911, read Hilton Yam's 1911 blog on 10-8 Performance.

Basically it works like this:
    Buy a 5" government model
    Don't get anything below a loaded Springfield model
    Inspect feed ramp, ejector, and slide fit.

Take it to the range. It should feed just about anything you put in it, and casings should eject from 3-5 every time. (Mine is 4 every time)

It should eject casings without a mag in.
    The ejector should be able to hold the casing and carry it all of the way back without a mag in.
    Buy Chip McCormick mags or Wilson combat.
    Never buy mags that have a capacity of more than 8
    (There is some debate that the 10rd Chip mags work fine if you stay on top of them.. I had two fail in a month. Perhaps I had bad luck, but I don't trust them. The holy numbers appointed for the .45 are 7 & 8. If you run out of ammo, it's an easy two step proccess to fix. 1-Stop being a *****. Step 2-reload.)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom