• ...and so much more!
  • Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Vehicle Tactics-Tactical Response

This is a course review for Vehicle Tactics from Tactical Response. This course was on March 10-11 in Camden, TN. The instructors for this course were Jerry Nuss, Tim Morris, and David Jordan. Gear used was Glock 19 pistol, Rifle Dynamics AK-47, Streamlight ProTac 1L, SOE single point sling, and 5.11 pants.

We started off with a quick marksmanship drill that emphasised movement as well as solid hits. Everyone in this class had at least taken Fighting Pistol from Tactical Response, which was a big help; this is not a beginner level class. After assessing everyone and their ability to move, draw, and get hits, we moved over to the vehicles.

The first drill was simulating encountering a threat while you were outside the vehicle. One of the first things that I picked up on was that there are more options than you might think-and most of them don’t always involving shooting. Force on force training, if done correctly, should reinforce the how vital it is to move during a deadly encounter, and this course was no different. Like any other Tactical Response course, if you did make the decision to shoot, you are held absolutely accountable for your rounds. The instructors had placed “good guy” targets in the adjoining vehicles and would periodically reference these targets to show how important the “know your target and what’s beyond it” rule really is.

Shooting from the vehicle, as well as maneuvering your way out is a skill that most shooters neglect. Finding what works for you, as well as what doesn’t work, is one of the big lessons learned from this course. I have been a police officer for over a decade and at no point in my police training have I ever been trained on how to exit a vehicle while shooting live rounds. It’s important and it should be a skill that is constantly refined. Two and four person vehicle drills were next. During these drills, muzzle discipline was of the utmost importance. Not crossing your own body with your body or one of your fellow good guys, while still shooting at the threat, is easier said than done. One of the easiest ways to do this is to point your muzzle up. You have to shoot the threat-this is not negotiable. Just because you have good guys “down range” doesn’t mean you aren’t allowed to take the shot. If you’ve never shot a target with one of your friends closer to the target than you are, you are wasting your time at the range. There were also times were you had to make difficult shots. I can remember a few times when the only target I had was a brain shot due to how I was utilizing cover. I had to slow down and make my hits. It may not be sexy to slow your shots down, but you have to make your hits.

The class ended with rifle drills from inside and outside of the vehicle. I experienced a stovepipe malfunction in my AK (yes, these rifles malfunction too) because I had the ejection port up against the door frame. Trying to clear this while confined in the driver’s seat made it even more difficult and is something I need to practice more. The final set of drills were more teamwork related, which required a high level of communication. I ran one of these drills with two students from Portugal, and I realized the importance of hand signals over speech really quick.

I do however, have two honest critiques for this course. First, this is not a beginner level course. To say it’s an intermediate level course is something I don’t quite agree with either. If you want to get the most from a course like this, I would suggest taking at least one, if not two, legitimate pistol courses first. And in case you’re wondering, your NRA courses don’t count in this regard. If you are not comfortable shooting with someone down range from you, this course is not for you. Secondly, I feel a course like this should be limited to around 10 students. There was a lot of down time on day one due to individual drills. Being able to run two stations would be a better option to give students more time and repetition on the drills.

This course is one that opens your mind. You come in with a preconceived notion that it’s just shooting around vehicles. You leave with more things to work on; this is the sign of a good course. We can all shoot targets. We can all do one thing at once decently well. It’s when you start adding them in together, that’s where the real learning occurs. That’s where growing happens. That’s where you begin to become an asset in a gunfight, and not just a burden. I highly recommend this course.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Sounds interesting.

Just to clarify, were you shooting simunition rounds or was this live fire training with other students down range?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Live fire. With students down range.

Would you never shoot bad guys if a good guy was downrange?

Personally I feel like there is a BIG difference between doing something in real life because you're forced to act and taking unnecessary risks while training.

Would I stand in front of a bunch of people I've never met or trained with before and let them send live rounds past my melon, or any other body part? **** no I wouldn't.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Personally I feel like there is a BIG difference between doing something in real life because you're forced to act and taking unnecessary risks while training.

Would I stand in front of a bunch of people I've never met or trained with before and let them send live rounds past my melon, or any other body part? **** no I wouldn't.

How do you expect to take that shot in real life if you've never trained that way before?

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    You let people you just met shoot past you at 20 to 25 yards in wind and rain?

I'm not talking about shooting inches from my head. I'm talking about being by the rear of a vehicle engaging a target, and your team mate is 15-20 yards behind you engaging a target a the front of the vehicle.
    If you think everyone has to be on the same firing line before shooting, that's not how gunfights happen.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    You are not talking about a gunfight here. You are talking about practice. Risking a life when in a gunfight in because it is necessary is one thing, Risking a life because you are wanting to present and image is another thing. A tattoo and a scar are not nearly the same thing.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I should start a school
    1. Teach some vehicle entry and exit drills
    2. Teach some basic Team /Squad level fire and maneuver drills
    3. Collect pay check

I know a network of retired guys that spend most of their time hunting fishing hiking ect.
    They are all fully qualified to teach the subjects. We could even throw in Aid and Litter with Casualty evacuations for free.
    How do I find insurance to cover live fire training with bounding elements?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I should start a school
    3. Collect pay check

I know a network of retired guys that spend most of their time hunting fishing hiking ect.
    They are all fully qualified to teach the subjects. We could even throw in Aid and Litter with Casualty evacuations for free.
    An insurance agent can hook you right up!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I should start a school
    3. Collect pay check

It is easier than finding FOF insurance.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    1. Were there ditches involved?
    2. Shooting with people down range is stupid.

Its as if things like these dont exist and couldnt be put downrange...

painted_opnhand_store_image_compact.jpg

Top Bottom