AAR: Morgantown, IN Appleseed - 6/23-24/12 (EPIC pics/vids)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    not done at this exact event but my wife uses a M&P 15-22 with 25 rd mags and shot her Rifleman first time out with it. Just dont REALLY crank down the sling tension. I have heard it can bow the barrel if you use the sling to snug on it.We have never had that problem but have heard from the Appleseed forum that others have.

I plan on going to the one in July. Still wish I could have made this one though. Did anyone do the course of fire with a 15-22? If so, did you use the 25 round mags, or 10 round mags?

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Yeah, I shot at this one with a M&P 22 using 25 rounders. The magazine kept my arm out a bit from directly under the rifle. But I couldn't seem to get it right underneath it and keep it there no matter how I tried.

I think the rifle woulda shot better if I wasn't running it. But I'm gonna get back after it here before too long. Hopefully this fall I can take my oldest boy.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Brown is right about the 15-22. S&W put a really nice barrel on it that I have personally produced 2MOA groups with but you can crank it with your sling and have your groups shift down and spread out slightly. The foregrip on them is plastic and has a collar that connects it to the barrel to add rigidity. You really have to crank it to get that to happen, though.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Hi Everyone...

Yeah, I am still recuperating. Monday morning, I felt like I'd been run over by a truck! Josh and his crew did an outstanding job keeping us safe, teaching and story telling. It was a very inspiring weekend.

The generosity of the Rice family to share their little piece of heaven never ceases to amaze me. Thank you so much for including me in this event, for the hospitality and for the delicious dinner Saturday evening!

I've already ordered a stock extension and a cheek rest for my SKS. So a month of practicing what I learned and I'll be going tor the coveted Rifleman patch again.

Congratulations to the folks that won their Rifleman patch!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So I've had some time to mentally go back through the weekend and, at the risk of sounding like I'm making excuses, I wanted to share some of my "findings".

I was so thankful that the weather ended up cooler than what was originally forecast. On Saturday I spent much of the time shooting in the shade from the big tree. Sunday was hotter, and my line position this time put me out of the shade.

Intellectually I understand the causes and concern of dehydration, but its my belief that I spent most of Sunday dehydrated. Even after pounding down several bottles of water throughout the day, both my vision and mental acuity were waning by 1600hrs. My AQT scores fell off dramatically, and I was having trouble focusing (mentally and physically) on the smallest targets.

The instructors recommended sitting out an AQT or two and taking breaks, but I didn't want to do that until I had scored Rifleman, thinking I should give myself every opportunity available. But what I ended up with was several non-Rifleman AQTs, rather than one solid run.

At my next Appleseed I think I'll be more cognizant of my water and electrolyte intake, and avail myself of any breaks.

Up to today (Thursday) my support arm has felt slightly numb and tingly-- almost as if it had started to fall asleep, or I had hit my "funny bone". I mentioned this to my chiropractor this morning and he believes I may have slightly damaged some nerves in my arm from wrapping my sling too tight around it. Good news is that he worked on my arm and its feeling much better, and it gave me a chance to explain the Appleseed Project to him, as well as relate a few stories from April 19th, 1775. :D

In the AAR in the Appleseed subforum Bill of Rights used me as an example of someone who had some amount of "unlearning" to do. He was spot on. Throughout the course I often found myself working against the grain in terms of muscle memory and positioning. The techniques taught were indeed effective, just different.

I need to learn to slow down and find a zen-like place where NPOA, breathing, and trigger control come together to form the "shooter's bubble". In this type of shooting, marksmanship trumps speed and violence. On sections where I had lots of time to make my shots I found myself rushing. On sections where there was a tighter time limit I would find my "bubble" at the same time the buzzer would sound. Nothing is as frustrating as having ammo left over in your gun. :D

On Saturday my prone shooting was great, my standing was OK, and my seated was crap. On Sunday I had managed to turn that on its head such that my standing was great, my seated was great, and my prone went down the toilet.

I'm still not 100% pleased with my seated position. It was about 4th on the list of good-to-acceptable positions, but it was the only one that worked with my longer torso and shorter legs. Otherwise I found myself pointing straight down to the ground 8 inches in front of me. :D

Having kept several blank AQT targets down at lovemywoods, I think I'm going to start running one every time I visit from now on. :yesway:

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    esrice you point out some really critical areas.

Folks need to hydrate the night before. You hydrate for Saturday on Friday night and you hydrate for Sunday on Saturday night. Anybody can get caught by the heat. I had a young guy, 17, who is in very fit condition get loopy at a 4-H shoot because he hadn't hydrated enough for his football team's lifting program AND our rifle match. Hydration is no joke.

Sometimes we have folks who feel a pinch between their shoulder blades after a shoot. This generally means they weren't relaxing their head enough (the soreness is actually muscle fatigue from those muscles holding their head up). When a person has pain or soreness in their support or or in the lat below their support arm it can be solved by indexing to the target at a steeper angle (indexing further reduces the amount of stretch the muscles of the support side experience beyond their natural range of motion when in prone)

When I went to my first Appleseed in 09 I was in really good shape and training for a judo tournament and I still felt like a wrung out handkerchief that had just been whipped by a grizzly bear in a phone booth. :) Glad you had fun.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Ok it's been a while since I posted here, but I have an update!

My daughter started school yesterday and one of her teachers had seen this review as well as the pics and video!

Who's the INGO stalker????:ingo:

Really it's a small world.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I wasn't an INGO member when this thread started and this event happened and for that I am sorry. But I have been thinking about enrolling in an Appleseed shoot and this bumped thread has confirmed that I need to do that.

Great thread, fantastic pictorial, and I am jealous of those who were able to participate.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I wasn't an INGO member when this thread started and this event happened and for that I am sorry. But I have been thinking about enrolling in an Appleseed shoot and this bumped thread has confirmed that I need to do that.

Great thread, fantastic pictorial, and I am jealous of those who were able to participate.

There are a couple more threads on this actual Appleseed as well. I can not emphasize enough how incredible an Appleseed is. It's amazing.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/appleseed/223176-thank_you_appleseed_and_those_involved.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/appleseed/221058-lovemywoods_seed_what_fun.html

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    FYI: Let the teacher know that public school teachers attend for free (other than range fees).

If he/she wants to come to a shoot, just let us know!

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I found out who it was....but I'm not gonna spill the beans unless they want to come forward....

He know's who he is!

Josh, I'm sure that the said teacher in question has probably met you or ppl with the project...I'm just guessing though!

Top Bottom