• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I have a couple hours of down time at the airport here. I thought it would be a good time to post a couple AARs. I am still significantly behind on my AAR writing.

After Action Report
    Mindset Laboratory Defeating Locks / Escaping Restraints

This report covers two short-format Mindset Laboratory classes. I am combining the AARs because they are four-hour courses, somewhat related, and I took them on the same day.

Defeating Locks

The Basics
    School: Mindset Laboratory
    Course: Defeating Locks
    Date: 3/9/13
    Duration: 4 hrs
    Instructor: Shay VanVlymen (Shay)
    Assistant Instructor: I don’t remember his name.
    Stated Course Objective:

Summary
    This course covers the basics of picking common locks. The course provides an overview of lock internal mechanisms, various lock pick techniques, and an overview of lock picking tools available. Pin type, wafer type, and padlocks are covered. The majority of the class is hands-on.

Details
    This course took place in a meeting room at the business location where Mindset Laboratory holds its scenario-based courses. We began at 0800 with introductions. After introductions Shay started with a discussion covering common construction and operating principles. The discussion was effectively reinforced with the use of various animations that demonstrated the locking mechanisms of various pin-type locks. Additional animations also demonstrated various anti-picking features, such as mushroom pins and spindle pins, which could foil even the more skilled pickers.

After the class had an understanding of what they were up against, students were given pick sets for use in class and several demo locks were brought out for practice. The first exercise was to pick a one-pin lock. Shay had modified some of the locks by removing pins to make them easier to pick. This allowed students to start with a two or a three pin lock and move up to four and five pin locks after some skill was attained. In addition to residential pin and tumbler locks, there were a few wafer type locks for demonstration as well. Shimming padlocks was also demonstrated. The course included discussion of other lock-picking tools such as bump keys, mechanical pick guns, and electric pick guns, though none were available for demonstration.

Overall, I felt the class was a good introduction to lock picking. I was able to pick a five-pin lock during the course. However, I was not able to duplicate my success on my own locks at home later that day. It is a skill that takes plenty of practice.

Escaping Restraints

The Basics
    School: Mindset Laboratory
    Course: Escaping Restraints
    Date: 3/9/13
    Duration: 4 hrs
    Instructor: Shay VanVlymen (Shay)
    Stated Course Objective:

Summary
    This course dealt with escaping three types of restraint devices: Duct tape, zip ties, and handcuffs. The course primarily consisted of quick demonstrations with guided practice.

Details
    The class started off with the duct tape. One primary method was demonstrated and students were given ample opportunity to tape each other and test it out. It turns out the key here is to keep the tape flat. After discussing duct tape, Shay brought out the zip ties. Here again, one primary method was demonstrated. A few different sizes were available for testing. The methods discussed worked well against standard zip ties you might use for restraining wire. They would probably not work against purpose-built, reinforced zip cuffs. A couple pairs of these reinforced zip cuffs were available for examination, but we did not try to escape them.

The remainder of the time was spent addressing handcuffs. Shimming and picking were taught. A few methods of creating field-expedient handcuff picks and shims were demonstrated. One of the more useful teaching aids used in the class was a demo handcuff with a clear side. This allowed students to view the internal mechanisms and get a better understanding of their picking goals. Students were allowed plenty of opportunity to attempt to escape from handcuffs using all of the methods. In addition to field-expedient picks, several types of polymer handcuff keys were shown. These small, plastic keys could be easily hidden on the body. One was even disguised inside of a break-away bracelet.

Overall, I found both courses to be interesting and worthwhile. The highlights of the courses, for me, were the clear handcuff demonstrator and the lock animations. These teaching aids give me a better understanding of the problem and definitely aided in the learning process

Top Bottom