• ...and so much more!
  • TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Nice write up guys!!!

Having walked a mile or two for the Gubmint, I totally agree that your feet will make you or break you. Wool socks and regularly powdered feet in good ankle covered boots will give you a ton of miles.
    The USGI arctic canteen is useless if you ever decide to use this.:noway:

Repped

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I could do it if I had to :D

(no, really! https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_great_outdoors/115215-our_grand_canyon_trip.html )

Great AAR. You learn way more by doing than by talking about it. Lots of folks think that just because they did it at one point in their life they can still do it. Really though, a lot of being able to do this stuff aside from basic conditioning, is the mental attitude and knowing the little tips and tricks that help keep your morale up. I always have much more respect for those who get out and do, than those who get out and talk a good game.

I know you could I follow your posts!

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    Thanks for the write up. I think you two will be in good shape if something happens. I need to do something like this myself.it looks like one of the biggest problems are feet issues.I have real flat feet,and just after a couple of miles,the ball of my feet hurt.you guys have any tips that I could use to better my odds at doing something like this? Shoe wise or anything else. Thanks for sharing.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I know you could I follow your posts!

I think AARs like yours are important, it helps motivate other folks to practice and it sounds like you guys had a lot of fun in the process! It is a much better weekend spent than sitting around thinking about what you would do if you had to bug out. A 24 mile day with kit is very respectable.

A friend of mine hiked the Appalachian Trail when he was in his late 40s. He said that for long distance hiking 10-12 miles a day was what his body could sustain. We can do a lot more in the short term, but we pay for it. I figure that at my age and condition level, carrying a 40lb pack on a trail or road in S. Indiana terrain that I can sustain 20+ mile days for a week or so, but that would require some pretty serious R&R when I got done.

The test I want to do sometime is to parallel hike the Adventure Trail, but do it off the actual trail; through the rough terrain. I know I can do the Adv. Trail in 2 days, but I've never done a sustained hike off-trail to see how much it slows me down. Such a hike would be a pretty good practice for a true bugout since I'll probably want to stay unseen.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Thanks for the write up. I think you two will be in good shape if something happens. I need to do something like this myself.it looks like one of the biggest problems are feet issues.I have real flat feet,and just after a couple of miles,the ball of my feet hurt.you guys have any tips that I could use to better my odds at doing something like this? Shoe wise or anything else. Thanks for sharing.

Good boots, and practice. Start hiking a little bit every 2-3 days. Do it off pavement (pavement hurts your feet!). Build your body slowly, especially if you are older. You'll find that you can do it longer and longer. Physical conditioning is something anyone can do, but it takes time and effort, and half-hearted attempts or trying to rush it only makes it worse.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I didn't want to get my purty bag dirty. Really though I have slept in colder weather with no bag closer to the fire. It was an inconvenience not a safety threat.

Then quit cryin' about cold boots... ;)

Something you might try if you do this again.
    I always made my Troops keep 2 extra Pair of socks inside their shirts next 2 their bodies when we would do winter marches. When we would make Our meal/rest stops, change out the socks at this time placing the old damp socks inside next to the body, they dry fairly quickly this way. Damp Socks in the winter is tough on feet during road marches...

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Then quit cryin' about cold boots... ;)

Something you might try if you do this again.
    I always made my Troops keep 2 extra Pair of socks inside their shirts next 2 their bodies when we would do winter marches. When we would make Our meal/rest stops, change out the socks at this time placing the old damp socks inside next to the body, they dry fairly quickly this way. Damp Socks in the winter is tough on feet during road marches...

i like to keep my water close to my body too.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    That is no joke for men at any age, gentlemen; especially, when wearing heavy clothing.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

One thing you can do - some Meijer stores and some WalMarts have the computerized Dr. Scholls foot-testing computers. You stand on the machine, follow the directions, and it prescribes a set of insoles for you.

The more expensive way to do it, is to go to the Good Feet Store, where they do essentially the same thing, but have a system of insoles/inserts that gradually allow you to build up your feet - or at least support them.

The Dr. Scholls inserts cost about $50 a pair; the Good Feet Store system runs around $500 - but may be covered by your health insurance (I don't have health insurance, so I opted for the Dr. Scholls route).

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Keeping a water bottle inside your outer garments will help keep the water from freezing - and you really don't want to drink cold water in a survival situation if you can help it; you use up internal thermal resources to warm the water sufficiently for your body to use.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    One thing you can do - some Meijer stores and some WalMarts have the computerized Dr. Scholls foot-testing computers. You stand on the machine, follow the directions, and it prescribes a set of insoles for you.

The more expensive way to do it, is to go to the Good Feet Store, where they do essentially the same thing, but have a system of insoles/inserts that gradually allow you to build up your feet - or at least support them.

The Dr. Scholls inserts cost about $50 a pair; the Good Feet Store system runs around $500 - but may be covered by your health insurance (I don't have health insurance, so I opted for the Dr. Scholls route).

This plus buying QUALITY Footwear will do wonders for you...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Great story and photos. Doubt I could come close to that mark these days, old people have to make do staying put.:)

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Forgot, Steripen was acting up off and on. Batteries were not new and it was cold. Have a back up. Dropping a tablet would be quicker and foolproof. My hands froze quickly messing with the Steripen.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Forgot, Steripen was acting up off and on. Batteries were not new and it was cold. Have a back up. Dropping a tablet would be quicker and foolproof. My hands froze quickly messing with the Steripen.

Even when I use my filter, I have iodine tabs available.

When we hiked the GC last fall I didn't bring a filter because we had potable water all the way, but the iodine tabs are still in the emergency pocket of my pack.

Top Bottom