• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    It's up! Pictures are trickling in, it's still early on a holiday yet but there will be more later. While I expect posts here to support Aaoptics, please consider also posting on the Appleseed forum. We really do value your feedback.

It was a great weekend, the staff enjoyed our time with you all very much and we look forward to seeing you all again.

"Let it begin with me"

Yellowhousejake

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=37350.0

PS. Big winners for the weekend... Chrissy shot a Rifleman score earning her patch and Nick won the Viper PST. Chrissy thinks she got the better take home.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Let me be the first to thank Alan and A and A optics, as well as vortex for sponsoring this even. I had a blast and got to meet many of my fellow Americans. The range was wonderful, the prizes awesome, and the instructors did a fantastic job. Here is a lone photo so we can ponder the scope of this Appleseed (pun intended) while we await the professional photos.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Many many thanks to Alan and AAOptics for their support. The venue was wonderful and the prizes fantastic, plus this time the porta-johns arrived!

Sure the instructors did a great job, we take it seriously, but the Applecorps made things happen so the Shoot Boss could keep the event moving. Indygunworks and Niecie deserve big credit for their work behind the scenes. Imagine keeping tabs on fifty people's health and condition during a 105+ heat index day on Saturday with a new course of training every 30 minutes. Then Sunday have to hand out the next target, collect the last target, while scoring 30 targets every 25 minutes. And they almost never get in the pictures, because they are the ones taking all the pictures.

Thank you Vortex
    Thank you AAOptics
    Thank you Applecorps

YHJ

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    (Also posted in the Appleseed Forum)

Wow, what a great time. I want to thank YHJ and all of the 'hats' for taking the time to come out and give some first class instruction and history lessons (I would name names, but I'm sure I would forget someone - ALL of you were amazing). I especially want to thank all of the instructors that took the extra time helping Gunnar (my 11 year old son) out. Thank you to Allen and family for being such great and generous hosts.

This was our first Appleseed, but it will not be our last. We weren't a mile down the road before Gunnar asked when the next event was. That speaks volumes coming from an 11 year old that just spent two long days out in the hot sun.

We both learned a LOT over the weekend about marksmanship and history. I am so proud of my Rifleman patch. I know if I had shot an AQT on Friday before they event, I would not have come close to the scores I achieved on Sunday. Gunnar improved dramatically as well. This was his first time shooting other than off a bench or a rest and it was amazing to watch him improve over the two days.

Other than seeing Gunnar improving, the best part of the weekend for me was shooting the M1 and watching the sights fall right back on target after each shot. It really made everything come together and drove the lessons home.

We were asked to post up any suggestions of how the program could be improved. I honestly don't know how I would improve it. I do feel like I struggled a little following some parts of the history - there were a lot of names/places thrown at us in a short period. BUT, I attribute that to me being notoriously bad with names and the fact my brain was half melted from the heat, not the instructors telling the story. I did order two copies of 'Paul Revere's Ride' last night, so I will be going over all of it again.

All in all, I can't think of a better way to spend a hot holiday weekend. Thanks again to all of you that took the time to make this happen. I hope to see you all again soon.

Regards,
    Jake

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

Wow, what a great time. I want to thank YHJ and all of the 'hats' for taking the time to come out and give some first class instruction and history lessons (I would name names, but I'm sure I would forget someone - ALL of you were amazing). I especially want to thank all of the instructors that took the extra time helping Gunnar (my 11 year old son) out. Thank you to Allen and family for being such great and generous hosts.

This was our first Appleseed, but it will not be our last. We weren't a mile down the road before Gunnar asked when the next event was. That speaks volumes coming from an 11 year old that just spent two long days out in the hot sun.

We both learned a LOT over the weekend about marksmanship and history. I am so proud of my Rifleman patch. I know if I had shot an AQT on Friday before they event, I would not have come close to the scores I achieved on Sunday. Gunnar improved dramatically as well. This was his first time shooting other than off a bench or a rest and it was amazing to watch him improve over the two days.

Other than seeing Gunnar improving, the best part of the weekend for me was shooting the M1 and watching the sights fall right back on target after each shot. It really made everything come together and drove the lessons home.

We were asked to post up any suggestions of how the program could be improved. I honestly don't know how I would improve it. I do feel like I struggled a little following some parts of the history - there were a lot of names/places thrown at us in a short period. BUT, I attribute that to me being notoriously bad with names and the fact my brain was half melted from the heat, not the instructors telling the story. I did order two copies of 'Paul Revere's Ride' last night, so I will be going over all of it again.

All in all, I can't think of a better way to spend a hot holiday weekend. Thanks again to all of you that took the time to make this happen. I hope to see you all again soon.

Regards,
    Jake

Keep your eyes open for more shoots at my place. I hope to host many more in the future (assuming I haven't worn out my welcome with Appleseed yet). If I get my way the AAOptics/Appleseed relationship is in its infancy.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Thanks for a great weekend!

Big thanks to Yellow House Jake and ALL of the instructors (Slim, Trisha, Barbie, Rob, Huff, Corvette, Nick, Brown, Techres, and the others whose names I'm forgetting). Seriously, you are ALL awesome.

Thanks to Alan for his generosity and hospitality all weekend. What a great facility.

This was our second Appleseed, and I can't stress enough what a quality program it is, led by really great people.

Chrissy has not stopped smiling since getting her patch from Barbie on Sunday afternoon. I think I'll head to Rochester on 9/22 for another shot at my patch.

Thanks again everyone!!

-Nick

ps- still trying to decide on a new rifle to mount the new Viper PST on! (Thanks again, Alan!)

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Big thanks to Yellow House Jake and ALL of the instructors (Slim, Trisha, Barbie, Rob, Huff, Corvette, Nick, Brown, Techres, and the others whose names I'm forgetting). Seriously, you are ALL awesome.

Thanks to Alan for his generosity and hospitality all weekend. What a great facility.

This was our second Appleseed, and I can't stress enough what a quality program it is, led by really great people.

Chrissy has not stopped smiling since getting her patch from Barbie on Sunday afternoon. I think I'll head to Rochester on 9/22 for another shot at my patch.

Thanks again everyone!!

-Nick

ps- still trying to decide on a new rifle to mount the new Viper PST on! (Thanks again, Alan!)

Chrissy's reaction when they announced she got her patch was priceless. You would have thought she just won the lottery!

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    AAR For Richmond Indiana Appleseed, Aug 31[SUP]st[/SUP] and Sept 1[SUP]st[/SUP].

The wife and I are charter members of the Richmond Appleseeds, we have attended every one. (Both of them:):) So, we have two different events under our belts. Both were unique and we have learned much by attending both events. Both were very worthwhile and enjoyable, we picked up something new at each event. The spring event had 6 or 7 shooters, this one had 30 or so.

We enjoyed the fact that there were different instructors at both events. Jake was Shoot Boss at each, but his helpers and instructors were different. It added different styles and techniques to each event. It was nice having different instructors doing the History segments, as each brought their own personality into their presentations. It helped you focus your attention when the sun had drained your energy, not having to listen to the same voice ever time. Having been to a prior Appleseed, I was interested to see how the different instructors would put their own “spin” into the events of April 19, 1775.

The rifle instruction was intense as always, but being our second event we knew what to expect. Even though we shot fewer rounds at this event than the prior one, we both thought we had learned more. Due to the volume of shooters, we were packed closer together than the first one. While that made it rather noisy when shooting (not a bad thing), it allowed us to hear the instructors talk to the other shooters and correct their mistakes, in addition to our own.

The positives;
    The Instructors were great, along with the fellow shooters. Several times I heard shooters and instructors offering people running low of the precious .22LR some of their own stash.
    I thought Sunday that I had brought sufficient water, two quarts plus a dozen bottles. We still ran out of our own supply. Fortunately, the Instructors had thought of this and had several large containers of water on the back of the Pickup. I had to refill my bottles several times. Thank you whoever supplied these.:yesway::yesway::yesway:
    When some people were being pelted with brass from fellow shooters, the Red Hats brought out some dividers to put up at various places along the line. Great idea!!!

The negatives (and these are very, very minor)
    The wife is allergic to cigarette smoke. At both events I have had to ask smokers to move “downwind”. It was never an issue, every time I made the request they happily obliged. It might be a good idea as Appleseed grows to have the Shoot Boss ask at the beginning of these events that the smokers go “downwind” when we are called together as groups. Most non-smokers don’t care if you smoke, they just want you to do it downwind.
    On day 2, Jake must have thought we looked shifty of something, as we were paired up in our canopy with an INGO Mod. I was given an Infraction for not having the cherished “gun show smell” and pelted with hot brass. (These guys are mad with their own power) As a penalty, I forced him to give me all of his brass. I am sure we had developed the “gun show smell” by the end of the day.

Lessons learned. If it is super hot, have a backup rifle in the car. My scope crapped out on me and I wasted all of Sunday morning trying to get it back to zero. I had a backup in the car, I should have gone to get it earlier. I also saw a couple other shooters nearby have to quit early because their rifles failed. I come to these events to learn and then practice what I have learned. It is easier to do this with a functioning rifle & scope than it is with a stick. Bring a back up if you have one. Also, you can never have too much water or too much ammo.

It was a great weekend and the wife and I are looking forward to our next Appleseed. Thank you to all of the Appleseed staff and a special thanks to Alan of A&A Optics for hosting these events.

Last edited:

Andyccw

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    May 22, 2009
    NW INDY
    I had a blast!
    This was my first full Appleseed. I did a miniseed at Cloverdale in 2009, and a Saturday (emergency cancelled my Sunday) at Nashville in 2010, the full 2 day was a great experience.
    I will put some thoughts together tonight to share my lessons learned.
    Thanks again to Alan and all of the Appleseed staff!

chubbs

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    A huge thanks to Allan and his family, you couldn't meet a nicer bunch of people. Next would be a big thanks to the Appleseed crew, these guys and gals are awesome. I look forward to the next shoot I get to attend. It was a great weekend with a good group of people.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    On day 2, Jake must have thought we looked shifty of something, as we were paired up in our canopy with an INGO Mod. I was given an Infraction for not having the cherished “gun show smell” and pelted with hot brass. (These guys are mad with their own power) As a penalty, I forced him to give me all of his brass. I am sure we had developed the “gun show smell” by the end of the day...

:shady:
    The DNA I collected from the tarp is currently being analyzed...

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley

Regards,
    Jake

I can certainly believe he enjoyed it but I know yu enjoyed it just as much. There is a photo of you watching him posted on the Appleseed forum that is absolutely awesome. I can't wait till my children can enjoy such an event!

AAR For Richmond Indiana Appleseed, Aug 31[SUP]st[/SUP] and Sept 1[SUP]st[/SUP].

On day 2, Jake must have thought we looked shifty of something, as we were paired up in our canopy with an INGO Mod. I was given an Infraction for not having the cherished “gun show smell” and pelted with hot brass. (These guys are mad with their own power) As a penalty, I forced him to give me all of his brass. I am sure we had developed the “gun show smell” by the end of the day.

Im sure I left some of my DNA on some brass from 308Jake as I'm sure red46239 collected some of mine! It was actually kinda cool to go to work and show off my "battle scars". The brass marks matched the shooters elbow!!!

All in all, I loved every minute of it. I saw a couple returning faces and made it a point to sit with some new faces as well. I'm glad I did! Jake, Jake, James and Gunnar were all amazing! I had a blast and can't wait for the next one Alan! I think my wife might even get out to one as well. :)

Top Bottom