• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I was about 1 week to the hour late to the party of picking up my M&P Shield last Friday. It was; however, worth the wait. This is the most comfortable handgun I have ever shot. First of all, for those who actually don't know me, I am a female with very small hands as you may possibly be able to see in the picture. I have personally owned: S&W SW40VE (sigma series), Kel-Tec PF9, Glock 26 and now the S&W M&P Shield.

I purchased the SW40VE as my first handgun without knowing the first thing about what I wanted/needed. I pretty much didn't like it from day one so on the hunt for other things. Picked up a Glock 26 and I liked the feel of it but I knew the grip was too big. I thought maybe I could work with it. To this day, I still will recommend a Glock. Am I a Glock fan-boi? Obviously not, but it's a good gun in my opinion. The third gun which was bought and fairly quickly sold again was the Kel-Tec PF9. HATED HATED HATED shooting it. There is no reason for a gun to hurt your hand as much as this one did. I could only put a few mags through it before I couldn't shoot it any more. It did fit my hand nicely though. It had the size going for it but the functionality of it was terrible for me.

Now here's a picture of my hand. Ignore the red spot (shaped like a gun grip) as I'll get into that later.

BAA1m.jpg

As you can see, there is about 3 inches for me from the back of the grip to the trigger. Looking at it now, I probably should have measured more from where the middle of the red spot was to the top of the finger, but it's still around 3 inches. There's about 3/4 inch left on the top of my index finger to work the trigger. So, I don't have a whole lot of reliable guns to work with. Revolvers may be an option but that's an entirely different thread. :)

On Friday after Scutter and I picked up my M&P Shield from Bradis, we drove up to Hamilton County Fish & Game. We took with us the M&P Shield and the M&P 9c for comparison. I've shot the 9c a few times and have enjoyed it for the most part but the grip was still too big, even with the small back on it. I know you've seen pictures and probably pictures of a comparison but I'm posting them anyway. :)

Here we have the Shield (on the right) and the 9c (on the left). As you can tell, the 9c is top heavy. I couldn't get it to lay down properly when trying to take a picture of it to compare the grips.
    VarBG.jpg

So here are a few more pictures to show the sizes. Those aren't my manly fingers in any of those shots, just so you know. :) The Shield is on the left and the 9c is on the right. Doesn't look like a huge difference, but for someone with such a small hand, it is.
    Wwxgb.jpg

The design of the two is different. A lot more than I expected as well.
    • No rail on the Shield
    • There's a safety on the Shield
    • The design of the grip is different (just cosmetic though)
    • Back sights are a little different

gvkAm.jpg

oxitc.jpg

IFr9O.jpg

Here's what the insides look like: The 9c is on top and the Shield is on the bottom. There are differences internally as well between the two. There is no lip for which the pin in the spring should sit. So it seems that a few people have bent that pin when they've taken it apart. I guess all I can say is just be extremely careful when you are putting it back in and make sure it is exactly where it needs to be. To take it apart requires you to pull the trigger. I'm not a huge fan of that.

zG3m5.jpg

This is just another image of the Shield
    0K7lu.jpg

Here is the Shield in my hand.
    SJSdU.jpg

I shot the 9c and Shield side by side. I personally couldn't really tell too much of a difference between the way the two shot. The trigger seemed a little more crunchy on the 9c. The shield was a lot nicer on my hand than the 9c. Below is a picture taken a few minutes after I was done shooting the 9c. I can not remember if that was after 1 magazine or 2. However, there is no reason my hand should be that red except that I must have felt that I needed to hold tight in order to make it feel secure in my hands because of the grip size. It's so square looking in my hand that you'd think I was holding a glock. :D
    BOCmC.jpg

While I am no expert, I do hope that I can at least help someone with this little write up.
    • Would I recommend this gun? ABSOLUTELY.
    • How many rounds have I put through it? ~100
    • Were there any problems shooting the ammo? No
    • What ammo did I use? Blazer Brass and Sellier & Bellot
    • What kind of a holster am I using? Do not have one yet for it but there are a lot of accessories already available for it
    • Do I like the sights? The Shield is shipped with white dots but I will probably look into putting Big Dots on it. The sights are fine but if I can have better ones, I'll opt for them.

Are there any disappointments? Well, the only disappointment right now is that it came in a cardboard box. A hard case with a handle would have been better, but not for the $100 they probably would have charged for the plastic.

I think I may "girl it up" a little by having it duracoated some other color. Scutter added some color to my Glock in the lettering for me so I may just do that depending on cost of the duracoat.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Thanks for the reveiw and the many pictures! :yesway:

I had the opportunity to shoot a few rounds through a Shield. Thorougly enjoyed the experience. Found the sights to be very accurate. The gun is easy to grip and shoot.

One minor problem the owner experienced was some intermittent failures to fire. The primers showed a decent striker hit. If the round was struck a second time, it nearly always went off. This happened maybe 3-5% of the time using plinking grade [STRIKE]factory[/STRIKE] ammo. [Correction. The failures to fire were with reloaded ammunition.]

I did find out that the gun hadn't been cleaned since it was recently purchased. I don't know if this could affect the striker system, but I strongly recommended the pistol be cleaned and then shot some more before deciding whether this really is a problem.

Last edited:

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    To take it apart requires you to pull the trigger. I'm not a huge fan of that.
    Nice review/comparison. However the M&P line does not require a trigger pull to disassemble the weapon if the directions in the Owner's Manual are followed. Page 22 of the manual describes the process of using the sear deactivation lever to permit removal of the slide w/o pulling the trigger.

From middle of pg 22;
    Use a small screwdriver (or a similar device) to lower the yellow sear deactivation lever down into the magazine well (FIGURES 22 & 23). Note: the sear deactivation lever is the yellow part visible inside the ejection port.
    It can be a bit of a pain but it's the only way to release the slide on other M&P models that have a magazine disconnect, unless a magazine is inserted during the disassembly process.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was really excited when S&W announced the shield, until I actually got to pick one up. I have just the opposite problem you have, I have HUGE paws. I have a MP in the 5" Pro model, and I shoot it with the large backstrap on it. It fits me beautifully. But I want a smaller conceal gun. The other piece is, I am left handed, and the safety on the Shield is not ambi, unlike the rest of the MP lineup.

So I will be opting for a MP 9c, with a thumb safety, at some point. but regardless, S&W makes an incredible lineup of guns...the MP lineup is no exception.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was really excited when S&W announced the shield, until I actually got to pick one up.

I'm the same way. I didn't like the grip on the Shield. There's an annoying gap between the grip and my right palm because of the size of my hands and the general squareness of the Shield's grip. I much prefer my 9c.

flashG8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    My girl has issues with some nerve damage and found the thumb safety on the shield almost impossible to work with one hand.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    So, You found a gun that you really like, that fits well and is fun for you to shoot. This inspires confidence in your EDC gun. What else could a girl (or any of us) ask for? And S&W is there to provide lifetime warranty service, should it ever be needed. Congratulations! Practice, carry and be safe.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Our range dues were due yesterday so I was thinking about my Shield and waiting for Spring. I know it's still a popular gun so I wanted to bump this thread.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Great review, thanks for the information. I had wondered how the Shield performed. I am a fellow member of the small hand sister's club. I refuse to give up comfort for size, it's nice to know that isn't required with the Shield.

Have you Girlied up the gun yet? Any new pics to share?

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    Nice post, been looking for a shield for 6 months now! Daugthers wants one, I have a Glock 19 and M&P 9. Both are great guns...Like you she likes the "fit" on the gun.....

Top Bottom