• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I stumbled into this following a rabbit trail spawned by the newest police militarization thread digressing into .gov suprlus. As a non-reloader, I don't post here much and can't offer any opinion other than that it is brass and the current bid of $0.00 seems pretty cheap. I am also not familiar with this auction process, so take a look and caveat emptor!

Search Results - Government Liquidation

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    I see a lot of these auctions going for huge amounts almost not worth it in the end. Paying $6 a pound plus buyers fees transport etc

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Many threads about this previously. Thankfully they've gotten smart enough to break them up into smaller lots to make it more manageable. It used to be that they sold them in 10,000-100,000 lb lots which made it nearly impossible for anybody to reasonably handle unless it was going straight to the scrapper. At this small lot size they will DEFINITELY bring more than scrap price and will most likely be much closer to $3-4/lb. Expensive? Yes... Worth it? Depends on your goal...

Definitely group-buy material. Just to give you an idea 5.56 brass weighs in at about 16 lb/k IIRC. That means a 3k lb lot is roughly 185,000 pieces of brass. I'm not sure what it's currently selling at but lets say you can sell it for $80/k. The lot will likely sell for around $9-12k if I had to guess. Which leaves you a profit of only $3-6k for all your time sorting, boxing, shipping, meeting with people, picking the brass up from Crane etc. It's worth keeping an eye on but don't hold your breath. Also, don't forget to account for the fact that on top of your bid is a 10% auction commission, then on top of your bid + commision there will be IN sales tax of 7%. So if you bid $10,000 your final cost will be $11,770. You will also need a way to pick this up. They will not let you take the hopper. They will put it on a forklift and dump it into your truck/trailer.

If anybody is seriously interested in this I would be willing to inspect lots for you and give you a preliminary report on condition to save you from driving all the way to Crane to look...

Top Bottom