• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    This is something I think about a lot. Our bedroom is on the opposite end of the house from our kids and worries me that in a worst case this could get hairy quick.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Neat article. This is why my "go to" gun in the bedroom is a 12 gauge pump full of buckshot with a bandolier of spare rounds; makes it easy to hold the upstairs hall vs. intruders and they gotta go through me to get to the kids.

Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Good read, got me thinking. Luckily, all the bedrooms in my house are connected by a single hallway, which I would try to hold given that the most probable entry points are beyond this hallway.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Good read. Since I don't have kids yet, the wife and I have emergency plans. But if we do have kids the Master is upstairs at the front of the hallway that leads to the "kid's rooms" so I'll have to adjust.

Thought provoking article though.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    "4). Search and Clear...Most people have no idea how strenuous this is both physically and mentally, nor how dangerous it is when done alone. A typical 3000 square foot house for example might take the better part of an hour to search correctly by a team of three. And by search I mean doing it right, not simply turning the lights on and peeking into a room then declaring it clear."

A good way to get just a glimpse of theses stresses is to play a computer video game called S.W.A.T. 4. You play as the leader of a 5-man S.W.A.T. team. You have to clear several types of buildings stuffed with both armored & unarmored bad guys. During gameplay, it's not at all rare for you to get your virtual arse handed to you & my heart, personally, starts racing when I encounter an area where there is, for example; a banistered staircase leading downward with a 180° landing on my left, an open doorway into a dark kitchen on my right, and a hallway with 6 doors ahead of me. Sometimes I just have to quit playing due to the mental & physical stresses this VIRTUAL game puts me through. I can't imagine the adrenaline surges & stresses the real guys go through.

If you bought anything but the base model PC...you should be able to run this game w/out much issue due to its age (April 2005).

It's available from Amazon for $17. Amazon.com: SWAT 4: Pc: Video Games

If you're not opposed "free trials" & know what to do with it:
    SWAT 4 + The Stetchkov Syndicate + Original EXE (download torrent) - TPB

Buy it if you like it. Like I said though...it'll give you a *glimpse* of the real thing. I'm almost immune to video game adrenaline rushes (been playing them since I could walk), but this one kicks my butt.

Top Bottom