A small update to the rules for the classifieds.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I have a hard time understanding the need to post it in the thread. Why not just PM the "I'll take it"?

Because you’re publicly notifying other interested parties, and the seller, of your intent to purchase. Not a big deal for something that lingers for days and haggling occurs, but for in-demand items I think most appreciate knowing something is “called forlz

A reply to a thread usually generates the same type of notification email as a PM, right?

Its the mods’ sandbox and their rules and one complies or leaves. I sort of understand banning people commenting on the item for sale or ask price, but banning public commitment to purchase is a deviation from PX/marketplace “best practices” of every other internet forum I’m on, firearms-related or otherwise.

I suppose I’m not seeing the problem this rule change is supposed to solve, or how it is additive to the INGO experience. I concede my opinion is mine alone and again, I’m here of my own volition and must follow rules accordingly.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Because you’re publicly notifying other interested parties, and the seller, of your intent to purchase. Not a big deal for something that lingers for days and haggling occurs, but for in-demand items I think most appreciate knowing something is “called forlz

A reply to a thread usually generates the same type of notification email as a PM, right?

Its the mods’ sandbox and their rules and one complies or leaves. I sort of understand banning people commenting on the item for sale or ask price, but banning public commitment to purchase is a deviation from PX/marketplace “best practices” of every other internet forum I’m on, firearms-related or otherwise.

I suppose I’m not seeing the problem this rule change is supposed to solve, or how it is additive to the INGO experience. I concede my opinion is mine alone and again, I’m here of my own volition and must follow rules accordingly.
    Sorry, but your "I'll take it" means nothing to me if I am interested in the item. It is up to the OP to decide who will take it, so that's where I will direct my communication. I'm not going to miss out on something just because you may or may not have a deal.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I was expecting the responses to be:

Like it: 40%

Hate it: 40%

Thread-jacks and starts talking about food: 20%

I was wrong. Nearly half were funny and/or F-15 related. No food discussion was a big shock.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    INGO, IMO, rules lean towards the sellers giving them control over terms and who they sell to. In addition there are folks who will ignore the terms of the ad or post "I'll take it" to try to lock the seller into negotiating with them only.

Many ads have variable terms and "I'll take it" is meaningless. What if the ad offers options or adjustments to price based on how far the seller must travel?

Anything you can post in the thread can be sent by PM. No need to clutter the ad thread.

It is easy now to lock the for sale thread to prevent anyone else posting in your thread.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Why not allow “I’ll take it”?

I have a hard time understanding the objection to that.
    Just to add to other folks' comments.

I've seen some users post that they receive an "I'll take it" in the ad just to be lowballed in PMs. "I'll take it" to me, means at asking price and that should be locked in unless something goes terribly awry at the FTF transaction such as misrepresenting the item for sale. IMO, If there are any questions about the item, those should be handled before the "I'll take it" phrase is used. Can even send a conditional offer like "If it has X, I'll take it at asking price." To try to save your space in line so to speak. Up to the seller, of course.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Why not allow “I’ll take it”?

I have a hard time understanding the objection to that.
    The "I'll take it post" is just someone hiking their leg and trying to mark territory, but the person posting I'll take it, doesn't own the hydrant they are attempting to **** on. It means nothing, until the seller accepts and marks the item SPF.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

I would say that just because someone post I'll take it, doesn't mean that the seller is willing to sell it to that individual.

If I wanted something I would Send Conversation saying I'll take it at your listed price. No reason to publicly display you're willing to buy it, the seller decides who gets the deal not the buyer.

Top Bottom