• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    A female family member is getting into shooting and gun ownership and wanted to go to BGF to rent and or shoot but with the frequent closings there decided to go to pops untill BGF can get that all sorted out.

They (her and her husband who knows a thing or two about guns) are looking at some pistols to rent and shoot and he says he is more I to getting a .380 revolver for her because it is a smaller gun and if the gun does not go bang you just squeeze the trigger again.

Well he says this is when it went south... Guy behined the counter became very rude and says that they NEED this particular sig...

Husband says yeah it's a nice gun but since it is a semi what happens if it jams or miss fires? (Remember that the lady is new to shooting and wants simple).

He gets upset and replies "This is a fine peice of German engeneering, it does NOT and NEVER jams"

Husband then rolls his eyes to himself and says "what if you pull the trigger but it misses and the round does not fire" He is then told that the ammo may be bad but that he will NEVER have a problem with the gun because the gun itself will never jam.... Husband the. Said the is for the input and walked away.

Will never jam.... Got a good laugh when I heard that.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's OK, it's covered by the gun shop grain of salt doctrine.:D

Here's the grain of salt you need for everything you hear in a gun shop.

r258297_1070950.jpg

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Was he shorter younger looking guy with dark hair and a Sig 9mm on his right hip with tactical light?

If so... He's a huge Sig fan/proponent and his statements don't surprise me.

Kirk is right - a huge freaking pile of grains of salt.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Was he shorter younger looking guy with dark hair and a Sig 9mm on his right hip with tactical light?

If so... He's a huge Sig fan/proponent and his statements don't surprise me.

Kirk is right - a huge freaking pile of grains of salt.

I was not there but assumed he had to be a sig nut, was told they were very rude...

Love the salt pic!

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    The young kid there (I say that as a 26 year old kid myself, the guy is probably my age, maybe a bit younger but not much) is a huge jerk. He thinks he knows everything, if your preference is different from his he will tell you and let you know how wrong you are because of your preference. (Foilage green for an AR is the worst color...why would anyone want that on their AR?) He is also more interested in BS'ing with his buddies then making a sale. He also likes to decide when you are done shopping by walking away in the middle of a series of questions by the customer. I was looking at AR furniture, looked at a black Ergo grip, put it back and was going to ask about stocks and other grips...didn't stick around long enough for me to ask. I decided not to spend any money with them again at that point. All of that was after I had to wait 5-10 minutes for him to get done talking with his buddy. And after I broke him away to ask my first question he answered and continued his conversation with the buddy in between answering my questions. Overall awful service. Maybe others there are better, but this is the norm for this guy. If they want to employ someone like that then I don't want to do business there. I'll go to BGF. And supposedly the sporadic closings there are done with after reopening yesterday.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    The young kid there (I say that as a 26 year old kid myself, the guy is probably my age, maybe a bit younger but not much) is a huge jerk. He thinks he knows everything, if your preference is different from his he will tell you and let you know how wrong you are because of your preference. (Foilage green for an AR is the worst color...why would anyone want that on their AR?) He is also more interested in BS'ing with his buddies then making a sale. He also likes to decide when you are done shopping by walking away in the middle of a series of questions by the customer. I was looking at AR furniture, looked at a black Ergo grip, put it back and was going to ask about stocks and other grips...didn't stick around long enough for me to ask. I decided not to spend any money with them again at that point. All of that was after I had to wait 5-10 minutes for him to get done talking with his buddy. And after I broke him away to ask my first question he answered and continued his conversation with the buddy in between answering my questions. Overall awful service. Maybe others there are better, but this is the norm for this guy. If they want to employ someone like that then I don't want to do business there. I'll go to BGF. And supposedly the sporadic closings there are done with after reopening yesterday.

Yea if we are thinking of the same guy he is a total asshat. I was asked by a friend to go to Pop's (or whatever it's called now) because she and her friends had a groupon to use their range. They wouldn't let them in without someone who had shot before. So, I brought a .22 and a 9 to let them use and show them the basics...

We ended up having to wait a long time to get on the range and this guy was sitting there trying to impress them the entire time. Almost everything he said was either wrong or just plain stupid.

He asked what ammo I brought with me I showed him and he said I couldn't shoot the Brown Bear there because it was steel cased. I have heard about not being able to shoot JHPs at ranges but never steel cased ammo...whatever their court, their rules...He then reminded me it was bad to shoot through your gun anyway because steel is hard on the extractor. I then reminded him the steel of the extractor is harder than the case steel...he shut up.

He went on explaining how he had killed more people in turbans than he could count on his hands and toes. Of course he said this to a bunch of girls who were Indian right before asking them if they were Muslims...asshat

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    At most ranges?

Some ranges don't like it because they sell their brass and it can be annoying to sort out the steel and aluminum cases.

yea that's what I figured. I have never been to an indoor range that didn't allow steel cased ammo. I have been to one or two that didn't want you shooting JHPs because it "gummed up their traps"

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    I have an uncomfortable story about this place, but will keep it to myself. On a seperate note, the older guy behind the counter will get you what you need as promptly as possible and with the least amount of fanfare. He seems pretty efficient and great for someone that knows exactly what they want which is often how I am.

jmusgrovejr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    I had similar bad service from the young kid at Pops. Called to reserve a lane for shooting before driving all the way across town. He tells me to come and when we get there it's an hour and a half wait and his comment was "what can you do". The older guy gave us some free range passes but we won't be back to use them.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I over heard them tell someone that if the gun didn't cost over 500.00 then it wasn't worth trusting your life to. He went on to say he recomended glock, sig, kimber and so on.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    When I lived in Franklin Township, going to Pops for the occasional range visit made sense. I've never been impressed with the employees, their knowledge or the general lack of customer service.

I've even tried waving cash at them (like they're really ugly strippers) when they walk by - no dice. Why make a sale when you can swap war stories with your co-workers?

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    The last time I was there was when BGF was building the new range and one of the older guys was fairly nice and he was acting like he new the writing was on the wall for his range once word got out. I will never again step in that store again... And I know these people will not be back either.

Sad that he talks about killing the turbans.... The gentleman that he was lecturing has been serving our country since before his parents dreamed of having him... And his jets have droped many ah bombs on many ah bad guys.... You won't catch him braging about it.... Maturity... Some people have it.... I have also found that the guys that tend to brag about it tend to be the guys that in reality were probably cooks.

So if I just need to spend 500 then I can go to dons and get a hi point right? :D

Last edited:

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    A female family member is getting into shooting and gun ownership and wanted to go to BGF to rent and or shoot but with the frequent closings there decided to go to pops untill BGF can get that all sorted out.

They (her and her husband who knows a thing or two about guns) are looking at some pistols to rent and shoot and he says he is more I to getting a .380 revolver for her because it is a smaller gun and if the gun does not go bang you just squeeze the trigger again.

Well he says this is when it went south....

Things went "south" when the husband ( "who knows a thing or two about guns") wanted to rent a 380 revolver. WTF? I would have thrown them out of the store at that point alone. Lol

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    I over heard them tell someone that if the gun didn't cost over 500.00 then it wasn't worth trusting your life to. He went on to say he recomended glock, sig, kimber and so on.

I've heard similar at Elmores - "we don't sell low end stuff" when someone asked about some ARs. This guy was looking at a Bushmaster that was $1400 with a Daniel Defense right next to it for $1400. I wanted to tell the guy to get the DD, but this was literally a day or two after Newtown and he had heard Bushmaster and I didn't want to get into it with a shop dude (he probably wouldn't care as long as he sold something, but I would have said the Bushy is not in the class as the DD). Also didn't get a good look at the Bushy, so it might have had something special like gold or platinum furniture - not sure if they marked it up because of the climate since there were about 8-10 ARs in stock and many lowers, so this was pre-hype. He then asked about Palmetto and Del-ton and the shop guy badmouthed them. I get that they have high dollar stuff there, it keeps the margins high but saying that they don't have low end stuff while the guy is holding a Bushmaster made me want to laugh in his face. It's like they didn't want to carry an AR under $1k because it's a prestige thing. The "this one is better because it costs more" mentality is a great sales tactic and works. You just have to be an informed buyer or "buyer beware".

Top Bottom