A realistic prespective on Hand Guns in general and in brief.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Function over form every time.

That is exactly how I came to carry a Glock 22. I had been raised shooting 1911's (still love my 1911's). But the first time I shot a Glock, I shot it very well. That became my carry weapon. I didn't like the look of the Glock and I had never even held a plastic gun up to that point. But you got to go with what works best. Flash forward after years of carry with a Glock, the M&P shows up. I wanted to hate this gun. But I took the plunge after all the hype and bought one. Long story short, Wow I really shoot that sucker well. Considering switching to a M&P for carry.

After all the fluff what it comes down to is your skill with the weapon. So choose the weapon you are most proficient with.

Here is some real sacrilege for the cool kids, those caught up in the taci-cool world. My favorite 1911 also happens to my most inexpensive 1911 and not the prettiest. My RIA is the 1911 I enjoy the most. ;)

I agree with the OP except for the you only need to do a mag dump to stay proficient part. The more and varied training the better.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yes, but that is assuming one is already proficient with their gun. And or had proper training and go to the range often.

Once a week or every other week..

Not 3 times a year.

Training is very important.

I never said other wise.

Once your hitting your target close to where you want to or dead on..for defense purposes what is the point of shooting 100+ rounds through the same gun other than. Pure enjoyment.

I will make an edit

So are you saying that once you are able to achieve a desired goal of accuracy, that the only maintenance from then on is the occasional mag dump?

If so, shooting is a perishable skill. A couple of mag dumps isn't going to maintain an acceptable skill set. What about shooting on the move, or from behind cover? Left handed? Low light? Etc etc.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    But once you are comfortable with your gun and have broken it in and have had proper training and profecient with your gun
    .i suggest after that.. all you really need is a trip the the range about twice a month, a quick mag dump, and a quick acquire target pull trigger, repeat until mag is cleared of ammunition. Leave.. that is all that is needed assuming you are accurate Wash and repeat as often as possible. But other than very specific training.. purposes more than that is honestly a waste.. of ammo...

:twocents:

So are you saying that once you are able to achieve a desired goal of accuracy, that the only maintenance from then on is the occasional mag dump?

If so, shooting is a perishable skill. A couple of mag dumps isn't going to maintain an acceptable skill set. What about shooting on the move, or from behind cover? Left handed? Low light? Etc etc.

A quick mag dump and a quick acquire target pull trigger repeat is not a mere mag dump..

Shooting is a perishable skill.. but go often..

Top Bottom