• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    I’m currently looking for something to serve as a good introduction to the world of firearms in addition to serve as a home defense and target gun. I’ve gone out and rented a number of different calibers and manufacturers at Pops and Applied Ballistics, but nothing jumped out at me as ‘the one’. Recently, my buddy got me the Beretta PX-4 Storm CO2/pellet gun in order to practice safety and work on some of my basic shooting mechanics. Ever since then, a (PX-4) storm has been brewing in my mind.

I’ve held the full size 4” 9mm at Gander Mountain and not only do l like the ergonomics, I love the unique look versus your standard Glock/M&P/XD that are all around the same price range as the Storm. I like the manual safety, that it has a hammer, and the rotating barrel will hopefully help manage the recoil better when my petite fiancée shoots it. Does anybody have any thoughts/opinions on the PX-4 9mm for a new shooter? Any quirks I should look out for?

I live near Broad Ripple in Indianapolis. Is there anywhere within an hour or two drive that carries the PX-4 that isn’t Gander Mountain? I’d much rather support a local shop in addition to the fact that I’m sure I’d hopefully save myself $ vs GM prices.

Thanks for your help & sorry for the long post.

tweekie1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Try
    BRADIS

6939 Kentucky Ave.Camby, Indiana 46113317-856-8880
    give them a call they have a lot of handguns and good people.

tweekie1

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    Go for it. The Beretta PX4 is a great starter gun. I have the full-size and subcompact as well as the CX4 carbine. All have been absolutely reliable in thousands of rounds. The only reservation is that there is a steeper learning curve with DA/SA guns like the storm vs Glock/XD/M&P which have a consistent trigger pull. I do prefer guns with hammers as well, so I don't let it hold me back. One other thing you may consider is the new PX4 compact which is about the size of a glock 19, but it will be harder to hunt down. You may also want to consider the used market. I've seen these go for $400 or so used - check gunbroker for ballpark costs. Also, if you need extra mags, buy the MDS Brand the are exactly the same as OEM, but much cheaper. The guys at Welcome to the Beretta Forum are a wealth of knowledge on the PX4 and other Berettas.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    i carry one within an hours drive :D it is a great gun never had a malfunction. i think it is a very good first gun, i mean it was my first gun. :)

the rotating barrel DOES tame the recoil. finding holsters is a bit tricky to get the right one that fits your needs but thats my only complaint. i am also a member of beretta forum and yes there is a wealth of knowledge on the px4 there. i have the .40 and my friends have the 9mm and .45 all full size.

crack shot guns in anderson SOMETIMES has them in, but definately call before you go, also theres a gun shop in downtown anderson that can order you one. Buck Shot Guns Home Page is his site.

other than that gander is the only place i know of to get one. and they are WWWWAAAAYYYYY over priced there so avoid that. it seems that many shops dont really carry berettas around here

also if your interested in the rotating barrel design but dont want to spend the money on the storm. the stoeger cougar is somewhat similar. stoeger is a subsidary of beretta and is machined from the same dies and machines, same metals and materials but only made in a turkish factory to cut costs. id look into them, its on my want list Stoeger Cougar Double-Action, Auto-Loading Pistol

cougar_large_compact_black.jpg

Beretta-PX4-14.jpg

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I love the looks of Beretta's weapons

I have come close to buying a PX4 on several occasions, but never did for one simple reason- the safety/ decocker.

It is not that I am opposed to them or even that Beretta's are opposite in nature to the 1911. It's that I found the PX4's safety a bit harder to manipulate than the Model 92FS's safety.

It's as if the makers of the PX4 decided to trade ease of use for style or something.

Something to consider.

I am sold on the S&W M&P 9mm Pro and am not looking back. No safeties to worry with. Just point and shoot.

I do think the PX4 is a good weapon, just not for me.

Vanguard.45

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    I have come close to buying a PX4 on several occasions, but never did for one simple reason- the safety/ decocker.

It is not that I am opposed to them or even that Beretta's are opposite in nature to the 1911. It's that I found the PX4's safety a bit harder to manipulate than the Model 92FS's safety.

It's as if the makers of the PX4 decided to trade ease of use for style or something.

Something to consider.

I am sold on the S&W M&P 9mm Pro and am not looking back. No safeties to worry with. Just point and shoot.

I do think the PX4 is a good weapon, just not for me.

Vanguard.45

yes the safety is a bit smaller to get ahold of but you can buy a type g decocker only, type c constant action, or type d dao, personally i think im going to convert my type f to a type g, but i like the safety for now.

PS id love to have that M&P just cant afford one right now

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I have the PX4 Storm in 9 mm and IMO is the best shooting 9 mm pistol I own. The only part of the pistol I don't like is the pin used to keep the backstrap to the grip. It's easy to break down to clean and reassemble, just use a very small amount of gun grease on the barrel lugs when cleaning as this is needed to keep the gun in top shape. Check out Welcome to the Beretta Forum for more information on the Storm pistol. I held out for a long time before I bought mine as I couldn't see me owning a pistol that had a strange look to it and after shooting the pistol that felt great in my hand, had to ask myself why did I wait so long to get one. Hope the PX4 Storm works for you.

Last edited:

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    I'm about to blow your mind

Robar did most of the work but David Olhasso did the action and the "G" model conversion

Ready??

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie

Robar did most of the work but David Olhasso did the action and the "G" model conversion

Ready??

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

iv been looking at that grip someone on beretta forum had it....you on there? i WANT that grip.
    but im gonna blow your mind now

IMAG0014.jpg

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Robar did NP3 plating on the slide and internals. Very easy to clean and has not worn to speak of at all.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville

Ready??

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg
    MMMMM, purty! I've heard amazing things come from ROBAR. I can't wait to save up enough to send them my 90-two. Was it difficult to get them to NOT put their billboard on the side? How were they to deal with? I really like what I've heard about their XD and Glock packages too......

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    They were great to deal with and even emailed me with an example of the stippling beforehand to see if that was how I wanted it done (they had done an HK like that and it looked very good)
    They never asked about putting any billboard or seal on it so it was not an issue.

Top Bottom