...in one week.

Use this time of thoughtful repentance wisely. :cool:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    At least you know you did wrong and learned from the experience. Props for owning up to it and sharing so that maybe you can help someone else not make the same mistake.

I won't add to the lessons to be learned as there have been plenty of posts already stating that, but I will add that many of the mishaps like this that I see come from experienced gun owners. Many of us "gun guys" are around guns so much sometimes we are the ones that overlook the obvious safety rules so it is always good to share these experiences to remind everyone that safety is the most important thing when it comes to firearm handling.

I have even been talked down to at the range before since I am fairly young, I correctd an older gentleman for sweeping several people with his weapon and he got pretty crappy with me saying "boy, I've been handling guns since before you were born". While that may be true it doesn't make him right, pissed me off something fierce! Safety, safety, safety doesn't matter how young or old we are or how long we have been around firearms, safety comes first. Be pretty dumb to carry a weapon for protection only to end up shooting yourself with it! My :twocents:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I guess if one knowingly breaks the rules but learns from it, it's OK............not.

Two incidents reported on this site in 2 days.

They won't always have such happy endings.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    I have a younger brother who basically has never fired or owned a gun. He wants to get one and knows I have military experience and own several weapons of my own. He asked me the other day what kind of handgun he should get. I answered none. He looked at me and kind of made that confused puppy look at me and said what??? I told him I would be happy to take him to a local range to show him how to properly handle and load and unload a gun. What to do if it were to jam, have a misfire. ect. ect. ect. That he could fire a few of mine and see what he likes. That a gun is a very serious thing and he needs to know how to handle it properly and safely before ever thinking of purchasing one.

My point is we need to remember everyone doesn't know the "Rules" just because they are at a gun shop or a range and occationally they will need someone to help and educate them.

Last edited:

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    The fact is this. No one correct me. My coon finger was never on the trigger first off. But, I wanted to post this utmost for myself and maybe there is a member orand non member whoand will readbe this anda not makea the same errorgun in judgement. I didnt have to post this. I knew darn well it would open pandoras box when i wrote this. However, i have reviewed gun safety after this even wrote down some new rules for myself. One is i will mentally drill my gun safety over in my head prior to getting the guns to go to the range.. what could of potentially happenes didnt i am greatful for that. As far as posted rules at the range.. i recall only seeing the type of ammo eyes and ears and no ammo meets your gun at the loading table. Now with that said. Maybe more rulea should be posted rules in a more clear spot if they are there. Now, i will say most motorcycle accidents are not witg new riders but from experienced ones. I will take this in stride as safety is very important to me. I just got comfortable and too lax. With my gun habits. One thing i plan on not doing again. Thanks

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    most grown men do not like to learn much from 26 year old who cant grow a proper beard.

tumblr_m1aoueVTEE1qfmqvn.jpg

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Sometimes one mistake can be one mistake too many, you learned from it, you tried to educate others, you apologized for your mistake, basically, you paid for your mistake, now move on and don't repeat the mistake. There are a lot of things out there that can take a life, a vehicle, a piece of machinery, a piece of equipment, etc.. Take your time and think about what could happen. Thanks for owning up, I hope others learned from your experience.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Okay, is Kirk in the hospital or something? Even if he was on life support I suspect he would still post in this thread. Yeah, he must have lost his internet connection or something. :dunno:

:laugh:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom