• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aeroe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I've read the stickies on the main board about Indiana gunsmiths, but I'm having a little problem getting in contact with any nearby or active. The only response was Jerry Johnson from 'Busco. The reviews are great, I'd have to take time off from work and pay a rather handsome fee, for a minor job though.

After swearing at my Stingray-C, giving it the stare down, and after a week of embarrassment, I still cannot get the mag catch screw back in my P01 clone. That's it, it's stuck halfway down, and I don't want to damage it.
    I rather not pay a huge fee for a cheaper firearm ($309). That's what I get for being a southpaw, I had to go about and do a simple take of switching the magazine catch, and get stuck.

Any ideas, names, will be appreciated.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I don't know anyone local to Fort Wayne, but I've had some really top notch work done by Mike Sweney done in Decatur. You could give him a call and see what he says. In the past he's been easy to work with in the early evenings/weekends.

BMG Repair - Home

aeroe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I got really impatient. I didn't get any reply for a week or more. Kustom Ballistics is close, in Decatur. The Johnson Rifle Smith shop in 'Busco was a little pricey for my liking, but I thought I had little options.

It's a $309 firearm, I wasn't too keen on a $100+ fee. I'll see what Kustom can do, but my schedule is all sorts of jacked up with jury duty and a possible job change. I picked a bad time to break something. :-)

Thanks though.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A estimate of 100 bucks means the guy didn't want to work on it. Call Tomlinson's to find out when the in-house guy is in and take it up to him. Or meet up with me and I'll look at it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A estimate of 100 bucks means the guy didn't want to work on it. Call Tomlinson's to find out when the in-house guy is in and take it up to him. Or meet up with me and I'll look at it.

As long as its not a Glock. In that case JetGirl will just tell you thats your problem and try to sell you a 1911. :lmfao:

jcj54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Who quoted $100? Wasn't Johnson because you never talked to him just emailed him and price was never discussed. You emailed at 10:30 pm and he responded by 8 am the next day.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    jcj54;5I70434 said:
    Who quoted $100? Wasn'. MJohnson because you neveroked to him just emailed him and price was never discussed. You emailed at 10:30 pm and he responded by 8 am the next day.

And the truth emerges. I should have known better than to believe the original story.

If it was me, i wouldn't touch the pistol after what has been said. But Jerry is better than me. He would probably fix it in 3 minutes and send the guy on his way.

I'm not speaking for him, but that has been my experience with him.

Last edited:

aeroe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I didn't see the email until later, and I was first reaching out to some area guys.
    If the problem is with a ~ $100 figure, then take it up with the webmaster/designer of the site.
    $45/hr labor
    $30 estimate
    $20 minimum per firearm

I wasn't born yesterday. No one rounds down. Parts wise, at the worst $5-10. Nothing is damaged except maybe a special screw could be replaced.

jcj54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Blanket statements starting with "no one" or "everyone" get you in trouble....
    If you never actually spoke with the gunsmith you have no idea of exactly what the charge would
    have been.

AndrewCarpenter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2013
    Aeroe,

Jerry has done nothing but excellent work on every firearm I've ever taken to his shop; at the fairest prices.
    Sloughfoot is correct, Jerry would've probably fixed it and had you on your way in a matter of minutes.

I hope that you're able to work things out and get your pistol sorted.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I didn't see the email until later, and I was first reaching out to some area guys.
    If the problem is with a ~ $100 figure, then take it up with the webmaster/designer of the site.
    $45/hr labor
    $30 estimate
    $20 minimum per firearm

I wasn't born yesterday. No one rounds down. Parts wise, at the worst $5-10. Nothing is damaged except maybe a special screw could be replaced.

Hopefully you have things sorted out. FWIW, I read those prices far different from how you did. IMO, the $45/hr may be the current hourly rate but the statement of a $20 minimum would seem to state that not all work is charged a full hour. Also, charging $30 if you want a solid estimate of costs before authorizing the repair likely prevents him from spending a substantial amount of time researching work that will never be authorized.

While I haven't worked with him and I do not know how he charges, I have known a number of folks to work on a "soft" not-to-exceed basis (i.e. "If it can be done for <$60, I want it done. Otherwise, give me an idea and I'll pay the estimate fee if it looks too expensive.)

I have had this sort of thing work well for a number of trades in the past and much of the time they either come in under my "soft cap" or they let me know right away if my numbers are notably off. Of course, there are those folks that always seem to push it right to the max.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    A couple of things...
    First, Tomlinsons doesn't have an "in house" guy per se. There are simple things we do in house (cleaning, drilling for sling studs, mounting & boresighting scopes, etc.), but for most other stuff we recommend Jerry.
    He's personally done work for me, on several occasions. I'm super happy with the work, the price, and the quick turn around.

Secondly, if he didn't really say something TO you, don't say that he did!

Thirdly, just buy a 1911.
    /Thread.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom