• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I recently received two guns from my dad that I'm looking for some info on.

The first is an Ithaca Gun Co. M-49 single shot .22 magnum.

I found their web site, but cant find any information on older models.

Next is a Hawthorn M 149 bolt action 20 gage shot gun

From what i can find, it looks like it may have been built either by Mossberg, or someone who made Mossbergs. but any other information on the model would be great!

Last edited:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    If it is a model 49...it is in fact a single shot. I owned one in 22lr and one in 22mag. Great guns to teach the kids how to shoot. My 22 and 24 year old sons still have theirs.

longhuntr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    the Ithaca is a single shot actually based on the old martini dropping block action.I've had a couple over the years.they always shot well and were pretty cool.the only downside is that the ejector can wear down and leave the case in the chamber.I made a replacement from a short length of drill rod,its pretty simple.The ones that I have seen lately in gunshows go for about $225 in good shape.I think these came out in the 70's.it was supposed to be a companion piece for their super single lever shotgun,a single shot also,but in the traditional style.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Just some FYI. A friend of mine who owns a gun shop in Logansport, IN informed me that the model 49's are somewhat desirable by collectors now days. Nice ones are a challenge to find.:D

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Just some FYI. A friend of mine who owns a gun shop in Logansport, IN informed me that the model 49's are somewhat desirable by collectors now days. Nice ones are a challenge to find.:D

This one is in great condition. the under barrel grip is a little loose, but everything else is in great condition. Still fires wonderfully, too. I'd like to get a scope on it, but that's difficult just due to the design of the gun and the fact that i dont really want to stick anything nasty on it and make it look awkward.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    This one is in great condition. the under barrel grip is a little loose, but everything else is in great condition. Still fires wonderfully, too. I'd like to get a scope on it, but that's difficult just due to the design of the gun and the fact that i dont really want to stick anything nasty on it and make it look awkward.

It is your rifle, but if it were me I would not put a scope on it as it was never drilled & tapped for one at the factory and doing so would affect any collector value it has. It looks to be in great condition I would just shoot it and appreciate it as it is. Not add to or take away from it. Again just my :twocents: worth.:)

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    It is your rifle, but if it were me I would not put a scope on it as it was never drilled & tapped for one at the factory and doing so would affect any collector value it has. It looks to be in great condition I would just shoot it and appreciate it as it is. Not add to or take away from it. Again just my :twocents: worth.:)

and that's why it doesnt have a scope :D. I'd rather get a Mosin and put a scope on it than ruin the Ithaca.

Top Bottom