• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If any of you have a S&W MP, and are having some strange issues with the magazines ejecting early or rounds not loading because of the magazine kicking out, you may want to look at replacing your magazine release.

I was having that issue...after running around 4,000 rounds through my MP. Now, my MP is not a typical new one....it had never been owned prior to me buying it, but it had been a S&W rep's demo gun, and the mag release had seen a lot of wear and tear over the years it was used for demos.

I called S&W, told them what my problems were, and they immediately sent me a new magazine release (it arrived within two days). I switched it out with the old one, and i was stunned by how much the original had worn down. Since the fix, I have run about 400 rounds through it without a single issue, using all 6 of my magazines a number of times. The gun is once again working flawlessly.

If you haven't taken the magazine release out of your MP (I did first day I owned it, since I am left handed, I switched it over to the other side), it's quite simple to do. The instructions in the manual are quite good, and the whole process takes just a minute or two.

And yes, I still love shooting my MP. :)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Thanks for the head's up! No problems so far with the mags but that is a good thing to keep an eye on. I practice a ton of mag changes and I know I'm putting a lot of miles on those releases...probably would be a good idea to have a spare or two hanging around just in case!

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Thanks for the head's up! No problems so far with the mags but that is a good thing to keep an eye on. I practice a ton of mag changes and I know I'm putting a lot of miles on those releases...probably would be a good idea to have a spare or two hanging around just in case!

S&W didn't even ask for the serial number on my MP...they just asked my address and fired it right off. They have EXCELLENT customer service.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    Thank you very much. I will keep this in the back of my mind and the moment i see something weird i will have a general idea what is going on. rep inbound

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Midway sells the mag releases for $2.50 or something like that, As with all wear items that are cheap its good to have a couple on the shelf,

I've also been using a polymer to build up the mag release for an extended release

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Getting ready to pick up an M&P 40 so I will definitely check this out. Thanks again for the heads up.

Don't let it dissuade you. My MP was built in 2008 and was a demo gun for a rep from then until 2011 when I bought it. So it had a LOT of wear and tear on the magazine release. By replacing this free little worn out part, I basically have a gun that operates as well as as brand new one.

Stuff does wear out. I am guessing by the time I get around 20K rounds down the tube, it will be time to start looking for a new MP. Or maybe not. :)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Good bit of information to store in the back of my mind for when I reach the 4,000 round mark. Thanks

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Also, any of you MP owners that opt for the 5" PRO model, and have the fiber optic front sight, make yourself a little repair kit. It's VERY easy to do even in the field with one of these. I ordered some .60 diameter replacement rods in both green and red, I bought a small nail clipper at Dollar General for $.79, and a small cigarette lighter. It all fits into a small plastic baggie that I keep in my range bag.

I use nail clippers rather than razor blades. Works great.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mx2Hg06Q4Y"]Video on doing it.[/ame]

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Also, any of you MP owners that opt for the 5" PRO model, and have the fiber optic front sight, make yourself a little repair kit. It's VERY easy to do even in the field with one of these. I ordered some .60 diameter replacement rods in both green and red, I bought a small nail clipper at Dollar General for $.79, and a small cigarette lighter. It all fits into a small plastic baggie that I keep in my range bag.

I use nail clippers rather than razor blades. Works great.

Video on doing it.

Nice, I have a Pro and this is great information to have. Thanks

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Nice, I have a Pro and this is great information to have. Thanks

You are most welcome. I have changed my front one out three times. Once because it broke, then I tried different color rods. I finally settled on the red, my eyes seem to pick it up better.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    This is good to know. I'm close to 5,000 rounds through my full size M&P and hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary but it's good to know the potential symptoms and an easy solution (that doesn't require a bunch of troubleshooting). Thanks.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    No issues on any of mine. Not even close to 4k rounds either lol
    S&W customer service is insane. I called about a front sight and they sent me one no questions asked. I actually received 2 stock white dot novak sights for free

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Is the mag release plastic/polymer? If so, I suspect combination of metal mags and plastic mag release, and a lot of wear and tear/mag dropping/re-insert on the demo gun.

Thanks for the info, I just ordered my first M&P.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    No issues on any of mine. Not even close to 4k rounds either lol
    S&W customer service is insane. I called about a front sight and they sent me one no questions asked. I actually received 2 stock white dot novak sights for free

LOL yep, I called to ask about where i can get some fiber optic rods for my front site since it broke, and they offered to send me out a whole new site. I said no thanks, just asked who made em, they said Dawson Precision.

Top Bottom