• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Thanks for the video. I'm a recent convert from Glock to Smith and just picked up an M&P9c for my 3rd M&P in less than a year. The Shield does look enticing; I can't wait to try one out.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Hickman, I am curious.

A lot of M&P and Glock guys say that 9 rounds just isnt enough for CCW, thats why they carry a glock / m&p over a 1911 of some sort.

Just curious why the change of heart, now that their is a poly single stack gun?

Why is 8 rounds suddenly... enough?

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Critical Defense in the first string, seem stout, someone just gave me ten rounds for my G-26, glad to see how they should recoil on film, as I have enough for a back up mag, but not enough to test even though they were free.

sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Coal Creek, IN
    Mr. Hick, I loved the video! Thanks. Being a Glock guy too, I find this interesting because I have been pondering making a hunt for compact 9mm's and maybe even going to all 9mm. Being a thinner dude (5'10" - 175ish) I find the fat Glocks a little cumbersome to CC.

dom, the argument for a higher round count is just that, an argument. There is little factual information to suggest anything less than 6 is too little other than opinion. So, I think like anything related it is the matter of comfort and opinion of the owner.

I just want to try it... :)

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Good vid. Thanks for posting.

I know I am going to end up with one of these because videos like these are just making me want one more every day.

:rockwoot:

apparently I have to spread the love love before I can rep you. So can someone please tag HICKMAN for me?

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    Dom,
    I usually carry a Glock 30 or an M&P9 FS. The reason I would be willing to carry a Shield with 7+1 is that it would allow me to carry differently, and with different clothing. I had a meeting yesterday that required me to be in a suit and tie, which is not my typical clothing when I have my EDC on. I did still carry my G30 IWB, but a single-stack 9mm would have been easier, thinner, lighter and overall-- more comfortable.

I would use it as a fallback gun anytime I was having to wear unusually restrictive clothing, or was going to a non-permissive environment where my standard Strong Side carry might get me into trouble-- bump checked etc.

This is a pistol I would carry AIWB with a fully tuckable holster.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Dom,
    I usually carry a Glock 30 or an M&P9 FS. The reason I would be willing to carry a Shield with 7+1 is that it would allow me to carry differently, and with different clothing. I had a meeting yesterday that required me to be in a suit and tie, which is not my typical clothing when I have my EDC on. I did still carry my G30 IWB, but a single-stack 9mm would have been easier, thinner, lighter and overall-- more comfortable.

I would use it as a fallback gun anytime I was having to wear unusually restrictive clothing, or was going to a non-permissive environment where my standard Strong Side carry might get me into trouble-- bump checked etc.

Gotcha.

Well that makes sense.

So its like a J frame replacement.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I got a chance to fondle one on Saturday. I wish S&W would have followed the standards they created on the MP line by including a safety on the OTHER side for lefties. Gun was a tad small in my big paws. But a very nice gun.

I also fondled an MP 9c, which I think is the way I am going to go for an easier to carry conceal gun. Bit bigger grip, dual controls. And I like the idea of using my 17 round magazines with it with the extender (I have a 5" Pro MP in 9mm).

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Dom,

Ever thought about a good shoulder holster setup for suit wear? That thought has crossed my mind a number of times.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Roger that, it's much easier to carry a larger gun with ass and hips to hold the gun belt up.

I could go on about how "I'm gonna lose weight one of these days", but honestly I was chosing to not carry out of comfort and this helps resolve the issue until I do something about the pounds riding where my belt once resided.

I was apprehensive about my weight when doing this video, but figured there are other folks with the same issue, they may as well see what I'm dealing with.

Naw, no need to be apprehensive. I am a big guy like you, and as they say, bigger guys can hide bigger guns....;)

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hickman, I am curious.

A lot of M&P and Glock guys say that 9 rounds just isnt enough for CCW, thats why they carry a glock / m&p over a 1911 of some sort.

Just curious why the change of heart, now that their is a poly single stack gun?

8 rounds is plenty for one attacker....not nearly enough for 40 attackers.

But then, few magazines hold enough for that. :)

I'll take one well placed round anyday.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    How is the recoil compared to the Glock 19?

I didn't really notice the recoil. I was honestly playing around with the grip more since I'm used to grabbing a Glock. It really wasn't until towards the end of the session that my hands where finding a good spot on the gun to keep it shooting flat and fast.

I don't really let factors like felt recoil come in to play in a carry gun. If my hands hurt and I'm alive after an attack, that's all that matters. Of course, I'm still trying to drive that home with my wife, because she's still wanting a LCP, because "it's little". Guess that's better than nothing.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Hickman, I am curious.

Number of rounds have never, ever been a factor for me. I used to pocket carry a S&W 442 with 5 rounds of .38.

I don't carry a 1911 because it feels like a brick on my side. I wouldn't carry it, it would (and has in the past) sit home doing nothing but waiting to go to the range.

The Shield for me is a summer time pocket carry gun, but that doesn't work for everyone. I still have a full size Glock for belt carry if I want to go that route.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Good video. I am heavily invested in Glock. How does the Shield compare to the G26, which is my edc weapon?

I'm the same way, been shooting Glocks for years, probably know as much as most armorers by now and they fit my hand well.

I had planned on using this years GSSF purchase for a new Gen4 G26, but this launched and I figured I would give it a try, if anything to see if my wife would like it. It's lighter and fits the front pocket better, which is my main function of this gun.

If you want to take it tomorrow and shoot it up, be my guest.

joe138

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Heltonville
    [/If you want to take it tomorrow and shoot it up, be my guest.QUOTE]
    Appreciate the offer. I will definitely see you tomorrow.
    I had to go to Seymour today and stopped by ACME's. They did not have any in stock but expect another one tomorrow. I might have to make another trip.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I was apprehensive about my weight when doing this video, but figured there are other folks with the same issue, they may as well see what I'm dealing with.
    Thanks for the vid, Hickman. As for above, I would hazard to guess that most of us do not look as good as we once may have!:) Think nothing of it. You're amongst friends here.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom