• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    A friend was shot and killed by police on wed. Now without getting into it too much my thing is this, when the radio reports or in todays paper they are inclined to say:" drew his department-issued .40 cal. Glock handgun and fired....." I wondered why it matters what brand of weapon he was shot with...I mean I dont care and I doubt anyone who knew him cares it was a Glock.

Last edited:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    A friend was shot and killed by police on wed. Now without getting into it too much my thing is this, when the radio reports or in todays paper they are inclined to say:" drew his department-issued .40 cal. Glock handgun and fired....." I wondered why it matters what brand of weapon he was shot with...I mean I dont care and I doubt anyone who knew him cares it was a Glock.
    Sorry about your friend. The answer to your question is an easy one.

One word.

Sensationalism.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Sorry for your loss. I would say that to the journalist, your friend was just another statistic, but they wanted the added detail so people can say "oh look this person is a good writer". Sorry again for your loss.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county

First sorry for the lose of your friend .....

The reason the media did that was the same reason the AUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPON when a bad guy kills someone ...
    what i mean by this is ...if a bad guy would have killed a cop with a .40 cal Glock .... the cop (OFFICER sorry to anyone in uniform ) would have been shot with a .40 cal AUTOMATIC assault pistol ....

its all about the drama to the media ...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Alternate viewpoint here...

I prefer it when the news reports what type of firearm was used in a crime or self-defense situation as long as they get the information correct in their story. That extra bit of information, if it is accurate, allows me to draw my own conclusions when reading the story about the individual(s) concerned.

If it is reported (hypothetically) that someone went into a school with a firearm to kill all 15+ teachers in the building, that sounds very, very bad. If the detail is added that it was a muzzleloader, that allows me to say, "What the...?" to myself because it doesn't make sense.

I have contacted several newspapers that I read daily to request that they include in the story whether or not the individual has an LTCH if they can garner that info from the police on the scene. Why? Because I would like more public documentation on how many crimes involving firearms involve an LTCH person. I feel that the more the common citizenry read "the alleged shooter involved did not have an LTCH" the more that it will be ingrained the difference between a law-abiding firearm owner and a punk on the street using a firearm for short term gains.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    A
    I have contacted several newspapers that I read daily to request that they include in the story whether or not the individual has an LTCH if they can garner that info from the police on the scene. Why? Because I would like more public documentation on how many crimes involving firearms involve an LTCH person. I feel that the more the common citizenry read "the alleged shooter involved did not have an LTCH" the more that it will be ingrained the difference between a law-abiding firearm owner and a punk on the street using a firearm for short term gains.

That's a good idea if they would listen.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    Alternate viewpoint here...

I prefer it when the news reports what type of firearm was used in a crime or self-defense situation as long as they get the information correct in their story. That extra bit of information, if it is accurate, allows me to draw my own conclusions when reading the story about the individual(s) concerned.

If it is reported (hypothetically) that someone went into a school with a firearm to kill all 15+ teachers in the building, that sounds very, very bad. If the detail is added that it was a muzzleloader, that allows me to say, "What the...?" to myself because it doesn't make sense.

+1, good thoughts. And as all others have said, I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Because I would like more public documentation on how many crimes involving firearms involve an LTCH person. I feel that the more the common citizenry read "the alleged shooter involved did not have an LTCH" the more that it will be ingrained the difference between a law-abiding firearm owner and a punk on the street using a firearm for short term gains.

Why don't they? This IS relevant for sure!:yesway:

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I agree, the media perspective is slanted.

Likewise, they should have mentioned the large bruise on the woman's head that was immediately noticed by the responding officer. She's probably the one that placed the 911 call, and from what I've gathered, the bruise was probably due to a pistol-whip.

I'm sorry that you've lost a friend, however, if your friends are in the habit of pointing a firearm AT AN OFFICER, and beating on women, then I'd suggest choosing some wiser friends.

Respectfully,
    IrishSoL

Top Bottom