• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'm trying to consolidate a few calibers down so I thought about going with a Handi rifle in 45 Long Colt. I already have a Blackhawk in 45LC so it makes sense to me fo rmy deer rifle to be the same caliber. But I have a few questions for those of you who use this type of rifle, what kind of range are you confident with and how are your grouping with say Hornady ammo? Thanks in advance!

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I can only speak from my personal experience. My father has a 45LC pump action that we have spent some time shooting. It only has metal/ open buckhorn type sights. I think that it doesn't help the accuracy potential of this rifle at all. We were shooting at 50 yards and were averaging 4-5 inch groups. It was the cheapest 45 colt ammo we could find and the trigger isn't exactly what you would call crisp. I could see my fathers rifle shooting 2 inch groups at 50 yards all day long with better sights and trigger work. That's with me shooting and I am no expert.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My Winchester 94 trapper in 45 LC will shoot inside 4 inches with all types of ammo at 100 yards. It will stay within a 20 inch target at 150 yards but that is about the maximum. I hope I neve have to shoot that far for real.

I think 100 yards is more realistic.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Thanks for the replies guys! I agree that 100 yards is far enough to be trying to drop a deer. I don't think I would be put into a position to shoot further away than that unless one was way out in one of the fields, but then none of the calibers available would be good. Thanks! :ingo:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You want to get the best out of a 45 Long colt in a rifle you need to handload. The factory stuff is loaded mild because of all the older guns out in the world.

I went with a 44 mag since I had a smith 29 already.

The handi might be the best way to go since they make great truck guns and are inexpensive.

Anything over 100 yards you have to arch the bullet to the target. 400 yards with one is going to be a very big arch. Think mc'd arch. 255 grain bullets at 1000 fps hits at 300 would be makable. ,then again with a 100 yard zero the shot would still be 128" low at 300yds. so you would have to hold over 128 inches to hit at 300.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    You want to get the best out of a 45 Long colt in a rifle you need to handload. The factory stuff is loaded mild because of all the older guns out in the world.

I went with a 44 mag since I had a smith 29 already.

The handi might be the best way to go since they make great truck guns and are inexpensive.

Anything over 100 yards you have to arch the bullet to the target. 400 yards with one is going to be a very big arch. Think mc'd arch. 255 grain bullets at 1000 fps hits at 300 would be makable. ,then again with a 100 yard zero the shot would still be 128" low at 300yds. so you would have to hold over 128 inches to hit at 300.

Good info, I don't plan on shootig at anything past 100 yards, that's a good shot in itself! I just found a Rossi lever action in 45 long colt today, getting it tomorrow! My search is complete thankfully, now I just have to wait for deer season. :rolleyes:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    You've got a good one, there! hard to scope, but I hunt Jefferson Co and it's mostly hills and hollars, so a 75 yard shot is stretching it! I've had several .45 Colt rifles and have been pleased with all of them. I'd definately reccoment a tankg or reciever sight to help shoot better. The factory irons are not bad, but moving the rear several inches closer to your eye and making it a peep will help out tremendously. The '92 actions are very strong (as strong as your Blackhawk) and you can load some pretty hot loads for it. If you don't reload yourself, I'd reccomend looking at some of the Buffalo Bore ammo or of Cor Bon makes a hunter load for .45 Colt, it'd probably work well. If your rifle is new, expect it ot be stiff. Oil it up well, and sit with it in front of the TV and shoot bad guys. The Rossi's do smooth up, it just takes some time. You can speed things up by taking it down and polishing a few parts, but the 1892 action is a real PIA to work with. John browning was a genius, but the '92 action is a trip! When it gets good and borken in, it's super smooth, though. I'm sure you'll enjoy it quite a bit!

Doug K

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Thanks for the tips! It's used and comes with a box of the Hornady shells. I was looking at the Buffalo bore ammo a little bit ago and it looks awesome for hunting! You're not joking about 75 yards being a stretch, there are a few bean fields around where I hunt and that would be the only reason for a longer shot. I'm pumped, I like the combo I am going to have this season. Sort of like going back in time and hunting :D. I will post a pic of the rossi tomorrow! :yesway:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Yeah that sounds about right... :D

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Here she is! Cycles pretty smooth, looks nice. I'm happy!

picture.php

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Nice, I contemplated putting a peep sight on it. The stock rear sight isnt too bad. I really like the rifle, actually like it more than the Marlin I had. :):

Take it to the range before you start to knock the marlin completely.

I looked at the 454 from them and loved the round proformance it just would not group them well and it went down the road.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Take it to the range before you start to knock the marlin completely.

I looked at the 454 from them and loved the round proformance it just would not group them well and it went down the road.

Wasn't knocking the Marlin, it was a nice rifle as well! I have shot this rifle before, I got it from my ex brother in law so I know it does well! ;)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I should have also give that 454 a better rating also because i just used 3 types of ammo in it and it was mostly handgun ammo since it was factory, I just got offered a good selling price the first yer the PCR rules made them legal for deer here. If I had gotten some reloading dies I might have bee able to get it to shoot better.

I do like peeps and have backup peeps on my marlin. When it snows or rains heavy or thick fog I will take off the glass. Factory buckhorns are ok but a peep sight or ghost ring get me on target nicely.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    A Williams sight will go right on that Puma - any competent gunsmith should be able to do it. I also put a green fiber sight on the front of mine and the thing is a joy to shoot. I have the Puma in .454 which really rocks you. I have settled on a stout .45 Colt load for deer. Where I hunt, just seeing a deer at 75 yards is near miracle. Nothing beats carrying one of these '92s in your hand walking in the woods - so natural, so handy.
    IMG_4630.jpg

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    A Williams sight will go right on that Puma - any competent gunsmith should be able to do it. I also put a green fiber sight on the front of mine and the thing is a joy to shoot. I have the Puma in .454 which really rocks you. I have settled on a stout .45 Colt load for deer. Where I hunt, just seeing a deer at 75 yards is near miracle. Nothing beats carrying one of these '92s in your hand walking in the woods - so natural, so handy.
    IMG_4630.jpg

Nice rifle! I can't wait to go hunting this year, I am way to pumped about for it to be this early! :): They are handy for sure, I like mine a lot. :yesway:

Top Bottom