• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    PAM now thats a idea... I used that when we were driving through the desert in Cali one year when the butterfly's were so dense that they would stick to the head lights in such bulk that you couldn't see the lights go on... PAM did the trick, they just slid off when we hit them...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, Pam works.

Yuppie members of INGO should use extra virgin olive oil from Fresh Market in Broad Ripple.:laugh:

[Scene: Fresh Market, 54th & College, Broad Ripple]

Cashier: "Just the olive oil, sir? Cooking tonight?"

INGO Member: "No, going shooting tomorrow and need to prep my revovlers."

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Yes, generally the firing pin is still long enough to engage the primer even thoug the case is sitting lower than without the moon clip. The chambers are cut deep enough that even after machining the cylinder they have plenty of depth for the cartridge.

In the few instances that the firing pin was short a longer one was put in to solve any issues.

Rolexrifleman your moonclip gun was cut the way they used to do them.(Nice gun BTW:)) Now they use smaller diameter moonclips and only machine the cylinder to the diameter of the moonclip leaving a ledge on the outside of cylinder that supports the rimmed cartridge. Most of the custom shops and most of the S&W factory 627's and some J frames come cut this way. Speedloaders will work, single loaded rounds will work, or the moonclips of course. Without any changes of the gun.

Here is a video of Tom at TK machining a cylinder for moonclips, skip to the 4:00 mark and he shows how it works with the cylinder cut this way.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WVfHKkAAE50

Last edited:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    True yuppies will already have it on hand

A1EC69FD-5FBF-4247-83BA-3DD819DCA3DA-547-000001843E5B61F6.jpg

Thanks for the info Boss, I look at the video shortly

Vette:
    The - number is the revision of the gun

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I carried a 1911 back in my Army days. That was 25ish years ago, so I consider myself "rusty" with a semi-automatic, but when it comes to revolvers... I have zero experience.

1) I think I read that a .357 will shoot .38 special rounds. Does that mean a .38 special will shoot .357 rounds?

2) With the new(?) hammerless design, why would anyone still want a hammer? It just seems like something to get caught on your clothes, holster, etc...

3) What in the heck are Moonclips?

I'll probably think of some more, so please bear with me.

I started a thread on here, Wed. 9th, because, bho, is calling DOUBLE-ACTION REVOLVERS, SEMI-AUTOS .....

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    No, it is a standard L frame gun. The only difference is that the timing was adjusted to make for the 7th round in the cylinder. Even the cylinder as far as I know was not beefed up.

True and also on the 7 shot 686 + the slot in the clynder for the stop itself is lined up directly with/over the chambers instead of in between the chambers
    on the thicker part like they are done with the standard 686.

Top Bottom