A dying wish ~ to shoot my guns again...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    One of my friends came over to the house yesterday. He has shot guns a few times in his life but really doesn't know much about them. His father-in-law is dying of cancer. Doctors said his father-in-law has 2 weeks to 2 months to live.

The father-in-law's wish is to shoot his guns again. Apparently he has a 500 Smtih & Wesson, a lever action 35 Remington, and several other guns. No indoor range will let him shoot either of those guns. They live up on the border of LaPorte and Porter county and I don't know of any public outdoor ranges in that area.

I've invited both of them to come to the NWI INGO Shoot on October 16.

The sad thing is that his father-in-law may not be in good enough shape to shoot on October 16, in fact the drive to get there may be too much for him.

So does anyone know of a public range, preferably in North Porter country or in LaPorte County?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks. I just gave the information to my friend's wife. She is going to follow up to get her dad to Kingsbury a.s.a.p.

Rep to you for the quick tip and helping a dying man enjoy what little time he has left on this earth.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Given that those guns do have some severe recoil I would suggest having some reloads done with Trail Boss powder. This would make shooting these boomers much, much friendlier and easier on the guy.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Hey, I can't help with the reload, but have a range in my back pasture, no walking, shooting benches with seats, son in law has access to a lead sled. I live in Starke County by Toto. PM me if interested in bringing him here, will show him a good time, let him shoot his and any of mine if he wants.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Hey, I can't help with the reload, but have a range in my back pasture, no walking, shooting benches with seats, son in law has access to a lead sled. I live in Starke County by Toto. PM me if interested in bringing him here, will show him a good time, let him shoot his and any of mine if he wants.

Farmerjon...it's people like you who help make the real world go 'round! May God Bless to you for your heart to help! :patriot:

If I were close, I have a couple of .22lr's and .22mag's, both are dead-eye accurate with scopes that he could shoot. Fun as heck...no pain!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks all. The plan now is for my friend to take him to Kingsbury. Its close enough and from what I could see on the Google earth photos the range area is close to the road so there is minimal walking.

As for reloading, I've got the equipment and could set it up, but I don't have the appropriate dies and turret plates. I suspect that there are few that do and that meeting up to get some 'light' loads in a quick manner would be difficult. Good idea. But I really think he wants to feel the recoil again.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks. I just gave the information to my friend's wife. She is going to follow up to get her dad to Kingsbury a.s.a.p.

Rep to you for the quick tip and helping a dying man enjoy what little time he has left on this earth.

No problem at all, when I kno things, I do my best to help out, and ya, the kingsbury range is right on the roadside, there is even handicap parking, I'm talking like 20 ft from spot to range, let me kno if any directions are needed

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Thanks all. The plan now is for my friend to take him to Kingsbury. Its close enough and from what I could see on the Google earth photos the range area is close to the road so there is minimal walking.

Not a problem. But if something happens he can sit in his vehicle and shoot at my range at home if that is what it takes. We are shooting into a dirt pile that is spoil from digging my pond, 20+ feet high, 100' long, 40' wide. Nothing going through it as we are shooting long way through it. Just let me know as I mentioned in my pm. For this type of person, a minute's notice will be enough for me.
    I am East of North Judson on SR10.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom