• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    $30 for 3 years. Curiosity: Why are you not renewing? Mine is up in March of 2010 and I've just sent for the app to renew it. I've saved that $30 on just one purchase, and that's not even considering the discounts from Brownell's and Midway, among others.

I'd be interested in hearing other viewpoints, esp. from someone who's already renewed once.

Blessings,
    Bill

Didn't say I wouldn't have a license, just said I wasn't renewing my C&R.....wink, wink. :)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Pardon my ignorance but just what is a C&R???

Is it something that requires BATF to come to your house???

No, it did not when I got mine 2+ years ago. It's a Federal Firearms License, type 03, Collector of Curios and Relics. Basically, it's a neutered FFL. You cannot "engage in the business of dealing in firearms", however, any firearm over 50 years old (and some others) that you purchase can be shipped directly to your front door, no FFL dealer involved. You also get some cool discounts at some gun parts mail order places, not to mention you can order from AIM, SOG, and a few others if you see something there you like (within the C&R rules, of course) At $10/yr, it's tough to beat.

You can order the application for it online, but I don't have the addy at the moment.

Blessings,
    Bill

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    So as long as I dont sell or make $$, then its like a collectors only FFL?

You can sell your C&R guns at a profit, but you can't buy to sell at a profit.... honestly you need to read the laws/rules and you'll see just how 'gray' they are. It's nutty.

I let mine expire in November. I was planning on renewing until mcAmnesty got the nod. No way in hell I thought he'd beat BHO so knowing how insane things were for 01 FFL's under clinton, I had a feeling that 03 FFL's would get the treatment under obama. While it may be 'polite' now, there is no doubt that C&R audits are WAY up. Do a search on the cruffler type sites.

I honestly didn't want the hassle and I'd bought just about all the C&R stuff I'd wanted anyway in the previous three years.

I'm glad I dropped mine, unlike a 01 FFL I don't have to keep my records once my license expires. Not like it matters, I kept all my purchases. I still just didn't want the hassle of going to their office. I wouldn't have done a in house inspection. Just seems too... dirty.

BOR:

Just wait till you get the new renewal form... unlike in the past they want ALL the info of everything you've bought and sold. It's nutty. That was another factor in deciding to drop mine. I didn't have that much ink in my pen :laugh:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...BOR:

Just wait till you get the new renewal form... unlike in the past they want ALL the info of everything you've bought and sold. It's nutty. That was another factor in deciding to drop mine. I didn't have that much ink in my pen :laugh:

Actually... I didn't realize that it was a separate form. I wanted to get a jump on the renewal, so that it would be done long before the current one expires. I ordered another couple of "Form 7 CR"s and got one all filled out and ready to send. It asked one question that raised my curiosity, though, which was, "Have you ever held a Federal Firearms License before?" or something like that. Since I'm renewing, I answered "yes", but wasn't sure if I could just fill in my current # on the same line. I called BATFE and was told that the Form 7 CR was not what I needed, that I could expect to get my "Form 8" in the mail sometime in January (My C&R expires in March 2010) and I should wait for that.

As for filling out my form... No prob. The only thing I used it for was the discounts and my Mosin. I'm guessing they only want the info on the Mosin. I didn't use the discount for anything C&R related, including ammo. So far, anyway. ;)

Will be interesting to see what it's asking for when I get the form.

Thanks for the info!

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom