• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I haven’t posted anything about this yet, but I had a date with the BATFE today. Last Thursday I had a message on voice mail asking me to call a local investigator for the BATFE. I called back on Friday and spoke with her. She informed me that she needed to conduct an audit on my C&R license and asked me for a convenient time she could look at my book and guns. Knowing I had the right to request the meeting take place at the local BATFE office I didn’t go that route, but instead invited her to my house for the inspection and audit.

Today she met me at the predetermined time and checked my bound book and spent about 1 ½ hours reviewing regulations and policies regarding the C&R license. Out of curiosity I asked her to cover all the same procedures for a Type I FFL as well.

The entire meeting was very professional. She was very polite and respectful of me and my house. I never felt intimidated, never felt I was be talked at and never felt the investigator was “out to get me”. I would have to say that overall I was extremely impressed and more then happy to cooperate with the entire procedure.

It actually went so well that I might have a suprise come October!!

+1 for the Indianapolis BATFE office. :patriot:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I haven’t posted anything about this yet, but I had a date with the BATFE today. Last Thursday I had a message on voice mail asking me to call a local investigator for the BATFE. I called back on Friday and spoke with her. She informed me that she needed to conduct an audit on my C&R license and asked me for a convenient time she could look at my book and guns. Knowing I had the right to request the meeting take place at the local BATFE office I didn’t go that route, but instead invited her to my house for the inspection and audit.

Today she met me at the predetermined time and checked my bound book and spent about 1 ½ hours reviewing regulations and policies regarding the C&R license. Out of curiosity I asked her to cover all the same procedures for a Type I FFL as well.

The entire meeting was very professional. She was very polite and respectful of me and my house. I never felt intimidated, never felt I was be talked at and never felt the investigator was “out to get me”. I would have to say that overall I was extremely impressed and more then happy to cooperate with the entire procedure.

It actually went so well that I might have a suprise come October!!

+1 for the Indianapolis BATFE office. :patriot:

Wow. This is the first, first hand account I've seen about a C&R getting an audit. They are rare from what I understand. Had you have not asked so many questions about the Type I, how long would it have lasted?

Also, did either of you open carry? Just wondering ;)

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Without my dumb questions it would have been about 45 minutes start to finish.

Investigators are not agents, they do not carry at all.

I open carry most of the day, every day of my life.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Hey, very nice. It is nice to hear about a government official doing their job professionally. But I hold my accolades until the official report is received. It's not that I don't trust them, but.........

I'm from the government and I'm here to help ............ :patriot:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Hey, very nice. It is nice to hear about a government official doing their job professionally. But I hold my accolades until the official report is received. It's not that I don't trust them, but.........

I'm from the government and I'm here to help ............

No report will follow, if I was in the wrong she would have cited me at the meeting for a first offense. (One of my stupid questions)

First Offense: Citation

Second Offense: Citation or Letter

Third Offense: Letter or Conference.

Fourth Offense: knock knock knock

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Did she ask where you keep your guns? Specifically, in the house? In a safe? Locked up?

Did she question you about any sales? What about length of time if any were sold soon after purchase?

Ask to see your other guns? Ask to see where you keep them? Ask who has access to them?

Sorry, just the first few things that pop into mind. Like I said, you are the first person I've heard from directly that got a C&R audit. Not trying to be nosey.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Did she ask where you keep your guns? Specifically, in the house? In a safe? Locked up?

I offered up the where after she asked to inspect the C&R guns.

Did she question you about any sales? What about length of time if any were sold soon after purchase?

No, No. About 98% of my dispositions were to C&R or FFL holders though.

Ask to see your other guns? Ask to see where you keep them? Ask who has access to them?

No

Sorry, just the first few things that pop into mind. Like I said, you are the first person I've heard from directly that got a C&R audit. Not trying to be nosey.

No problem, I posted for people to learn from my expierence. :cheers:

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I recently obtained my ffl. I have read and heard bad stuff related to the atf. I had nothing but a positive experience with them. They were extremely helpful, and professional. Even had to call them last week with some questions and they were more than helpful and accomadating. I have nothing but good to say about them

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    No rules on selling the stuff during or after your C&R as long as you are doing it to better your collection and not as a business. A C&R gives you no "business" or dealing rights.

Yup. Translation: If you're buying it with the sole intent of reselling it (esp. at a profit), that's a business (as I understand it). I have a C&R and like Prometheus, I had never heard of any of us getting audited. I wonder if we'll start seeing more of these with Barry Hussein in office?

Disclaimers:
    IANAL
    IANAATFA
    IDPOOTV
    IDSIAHIELN
    TINLA

Blessings,
    Bill

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    During my time in the business, 70s and early 80s, all the ATF people I met were very professional and helpful.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Thanks for posting this. It would actually be helpful in some ways it the BATFE would do this as a matter of course soon after a person acquired one's license so as to avoid any pitfalls. Your information was most helpful.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Was she hot? If so, I am going to schedule a meeting at my place too.

Hey.....you're going to have to make that decision by yourself when she knocks on your door.....

4010cropT.jpg

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Nice picture, How hard is it to ge a C&R, and cost, also in your dream did she tie you up and ask to see your weapon :):

I don't remember the cost, i think it is $25 or $35. Thhe process is easy, you just fill out the forms and send a check. I don't even think you do prints. It has been 6 years since my first aplication and I am not renewing it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't remember the cost, i think it is $25 or $35. Thhe process is easy, you just fill out the forms and send a check. I don't even think you do prints. It has been 6 years since my first aplication and I am not renewing it.

$30 for 3 years. Curiosity: Why are you not renewing? Mine is up in March of 2010 and I've just sent for the app to renew it. I've saved that $30 on just one purchase, and that's not even considering the discounts from Brownell's and Midway, among others.

I'd be interested in hearing other viewpoints, esp. from someone who's already renewed once.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom